Greetings from a newbie!

jcooke26

Hey guys, just a quick thank you & introduction. I decided a week ago that I needed some new decor for my newly refurbished office. A model shrimp boat sounded appealing. I was shocked to find few choices to buy, and appalled at the quality of those available (not to mention the price associated... For junk). Needless to say, I've made the decision to take matters into my own hands. Outside of a handful of plastic models built as a child this will be my first attempt at real modeling. I've spent the last week doing research, ordered a few very cheap kits from Amazon for practice, and will hopefully gain enough knowledge & experience in the coming months to design and build my own creation from scratch. Thank you all for contributing here & sharing your passion! I look forward to the learning process and hope to gain valuable insight from this community along the way! Historical accuracy & realism are my focus for this project. I am fairly confident in my abilities as a craftsman but look forward to learning new skills. Please feel free to offer critiques and opinions on anything I share! I'm less focused on the end results right now and more interested in the knowledge. Once the planning ends and the real building begins though... That will definitely change. Again, thank you all for your contributions! I look forward to learning from you! 

Welcome aboard! Dedicated shrimpers are rare in kit form, as are modern workboats in general, at least if you are looking for US examples. Several kits for European/UK boats do exist, though these tend to portray older, sort of 'classic' boats. What kind of vessel did you have in mind?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Looking at the US versions for sure. Spent a lot of time in the low country of SC over my life and have always loved the sight of them rolling back in while I'm fishing. They're not much to look at really but to me they represent a lot of good times, for a lot of reasons. In the process of gathering pics & any supporting documents I can find... Then hope to do the design digitally before starting the build. Lots of talent on this forum and I've already found a few great examples to follow! Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a new project in years. Considering taking a week or two off of work to dive in head first lol

:sign:

Lots of people here who are willing to help, all you got to do is ask. Jump right in, and always remember Have fun building what ever you build.:10_1_10:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

JC, welcome to MSW. Wishing you the best with your first build. Glad to have you aboard. 

I came across this company ( Wye River ) when I was looking to see if an old company that featured Bay centric small craft had come back to life - Midwest - I think it was.

https://www.wye-river-models.com/shrimping-trawler.html

I have no knowledge of its quality ( or lack of quality ) .  The bow looks more open than the boats I saw at Morehead City, NC in the 70's and 80's.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW JC

1778384286_Bubba1.JPG.06b4c3d8e821a423538b52621a8f8ac9.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 11/30/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jaager said:

I came across this company ( Wye River ) when I was looking to see if an old company that featured Bay centric small craft had come back to life - Midwest - I think it was.

https://www.wye-river-models.com/shrimping-trawler.html

I have no knowledge of its quality ( or lack of quality ) .  The bow looks more open than the boats I saw at Morehead City, NC in the 70's and 80's.

This might be worth a try after I get a few practice pieces under my belt! Thank you! I feel like this is a little longer than most? And the structure is set back a bit farther than usual? We'll see. Maybe that's something that I could work with. Wrapping up work for the week in an hour or so... After that I'm diving in! 

Welcome aboard. Take your time researching your boat, once you find a picture of one that suits your liking, see if you can find out who built/manufactured it. With that information in hand you might be able to contact the manufacturer and inquire about getting a copy of the hull plans for your project.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Hi JC and welcome to Model Ship World.  Check out this shrimp boat kit from Dumas.  They make very nice kits.  https://www.dumasproducts.com/?product=rusty-the-shrimp-boat-1271

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat