USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

I've started to install my pre-made deadeyes on the upper fighting tops. I'm not permanently gluing any of them on until I can be sure of symetery and alignment. I've made those kind of mistakes before. The upper shrouds will be rigged like I'm supposed to...one shroud looping from one deadeye to another with some siezing.

post-4214-0-13051400-1419178650_thumb.jpg

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to install double Bentinck Shrouds to hold down the futtock  shrouds. Constructo doesn't call for these to be installed, but they are the correct way to do it. . They just attach the futtock shrouds to a futtock staff. At my scale there is no room the drill into the gutter of the deck to mount the Bentick Shrouds. Too much gun clutter. I shall ponder this for   a while.

I understand completely. I am at 1:93 and Mamoli also did not include them in their plans.  It is crowded on deck. I have attached photos showing the shrouds for my main mast. The Bentinck shrouds are only on the fore and main masts since the mizzen has the spanker mast that would preclude it's rigging. I have also attached a pdf from the thread that discussed this with photos from Popeye2sea that are from the current ship's configuration. I used these when coming up with my solution. 

The rings on the deck fit in open areas so they were not too terribly bad in getting access to them to rig them once installed. I also decided to fully serve the shrouds since I thought they would look better (they did).

If you need more photos or have questions on how I did it let me know.

post-10450-0-90878500-1419221218_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-56652800-1419221275_thumb.jpg

Futtock-Bentnick Details.pdf

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Great info, Bill. I don't even have room on my deck for double Bentincks. My deck is completely full of guns and coils, etc.

On my mizzen, I'll have to use futtock staves since the spanker is in the way.

As for the main and fore? Here's some pics of other choices. I'm not happy with any of this.

post-4214-0-79968200-1419225185_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-43090500-1419225198_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-27377000-1419225208_thumb.jpg

The other option is to add the futtock staves,then catharpins across, either one, or one for each futtock shroud pair. I did the single for the mizzen with the bentinck shrouds fore the fore and main. Mine actually never hit the deck since the ring is in the waterway. The fore mast set took some fishing to get strung, but otherwise everything is up in the rigging.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Rich, your shrouds and ratlines look great. I'm wondering where they got the idea for the bentnick shrouds to be lashed to a collar on the mast.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Rich, could it be a sharpener?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

It is a stripper. You insert your knife into this holder and it will guide the blade. I never tired using it and totally forgot about having one until I saw your message.  Maybe it will work well. I will have to try it.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I might have been right about it being a strip cutter Rich. The knife blade mounts in the machine and the sliding guide on the bottom guides the blade while you cut your strip. It's adjustable for different sizes of strips. Handy little tool.  B)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yes, it is used for cutting strips of wood from a sheet.  The idea is good but this tool is not that accurate so I made my own.  I made it longer to ride against the sheet better and I mounted the blade more securely so that it did not wobble in the holder.  I use mine all the time for soft wood like poplar.  I have cut strips as thin as .015 inch.

Bob

post-513-0-51052200-1419356978_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-31130100-1419356968_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

First loosen the screws with the knobs on top.  Adjust the plate on the bottom to the width of strip you want.  Place cutter on sheet with edge of strip pressed against plate.  Slide cutter along sheet.

Bob

post-513-0-34299000-1419362463_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-72403600-1419362474_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-16313100-1419362489_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

My shipyard is idle today as we get ready to host 40 guests for a Christmas party. I'm 16 months into this build and I've learned a lot from all of you...that's a nice Christmas present!

post-4214-0-99153900-1419531531_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-11863700-1419531545_thumb.jpg

Out of the mouths of Admirals......

My Admiral just watched me tie what seems like my 50,000th ratline and says to me..."Don't put too many strings on your ship....I want everyone to see all of that fine wood work." 

Has any one heard that before?

post-4214-0-38789800-1419815939_thumb.jpg

Out of the mouths of Admirals......

My Admiral just watched me tie what seems like my 50,000th ratline and says to me..."Don't put too many strings on your ship....I want everyone to see all of that fine wood work." 

Has any one heard that before?

Not exactly Rich, but my current Admiral's been watching me study rigging plans and asks me about a half-dozen times or so what this line is and does and what that line is and so-on. After a half-dozen I turn and ask her if this is a test or something, then she usually lets me be for a while.  :rolleyes:  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Gotta love the Admirals !  Mine has been heard to say 'It needs more ropes'   :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956