USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

I did the same. However for the forestays i used seized loops and mice.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

My first shroud is installed. I haven'y fully attached the chain plate yet. It's just held by tape.

post-4214-0-88913100-1417198413_thumb.jpg

A hair hard to tell from the photo angle but just be certain your chainplates line up exactly with the shroud (if possible).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Rich,

Two things....

For the chain ,let them try to follow the line of the shroud.

Second, I see that you cut off your lanyard just behind the deadeye.

Make the lanyard longer and when you are going true the last eye, turn it a few times around the shroud.

If you are now putting strength on the shroud, the lanyard will come out of the eye.

Sjors

The chainplates will line up with the shrouds when permanently installed and I shall put a few turns of the lanyard before I'm finished. You guys have good eyes.

What you didn't catch is the fact that I made theses deadeyes and shrouds off the ship. I'll show you my shroud factory in a later edition.

Still you probably want to leave some extra line. I am assuming this would still be coming out of the forward lower deadeye hole. Then once you have them installed on the ship and the shroud attached, then tie half hitches (I used three) around the should and serve the end to the shroud. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Looks beautiful, I like how the canons would protrude through the doors when closed. Saves the crew pulling the heavy canons back and forth I assume. Did your kit include the brackets for the doors and you make the doors to suit, this is far nicer than the victory kit, or is this your upgrade. I ask as the victory of the same manufacturer is cast iron and paint affair and no where near as nice as those on yours

Edited by Paul0367

Well...here's my shroud and deadeye factory.

I made five  jigs out out of paperclips and bent them to hold the upper and lower deadeyes, then wove the line in the appropriate pattern, then painted them with a thinned 50/50 mixture of PVA glue. Then I cut shrouds to the different lengths needed for th different masts and CA glued them with rough seizings by simply wrapping thin line. Not exactly the super neat seizings you all make, but they're okay. I made the brass clip out of brass straight pins by bending them on a steel rod the size of the inner deadeye circumference. They have a "tail" that I pushed into a pre-drilled hole and I will finish the underside with a fake chainplate made of brass that I bought via the internet from an outfit in Maine.

post-4214-0-44967600-1417321292_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-93096400-1417321314_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-64077100-1417321326_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-67895200-1417321342_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-90210200-1417321357_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-08611600-1417321385_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-33233400-1417321399_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-47560100-1417321422_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-85121400-1417321436_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-09594900-1417321448_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-44064700-1417321466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Interesting idea Rich, looks like they came out pretty well.

How are you attaching these to the masts since you didn't make them in pairs with a single line?  Are you planning on serving the shrouds at the top?  How are you securing the lower dead eye if the chain plates are false, just gluing them into the channels?

Nice looking assembly line.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hola Rich:

An interesting form to do the shrouds, but as GuntherMT says how will you secure them to the mast?  I find more practical to do the complete line (with the 2 sides) and then fixed to the deadeyes than are already fixed to the board.  The trick is to have sliding knots to adjust the final dimension of the shroud line.  You can see my post #108 for more clarity.  Anyway, as we say in Mexico: there are thousand forms to kill fleas.

Saludos, Karl

The tail of that brass ring is 0.55mm so I drill a 0.50mm hole ane slip the tail into it with a dab of CA.  The shroud tops are attached individually to the mast with seizings. My masts are permanently glued.

The tail of that brass ring is 0.55mm so I drill a 0.50mm hole ane slip the tail into it with a dab of CA.  The shroud tops are attached individually to the mast with seizings. My masts are permanently glued.

Rich, might want to make some tests with rigging rope - by doing it that way you'll have twice as many loops of shroud rope around the mast as you should, and my concern would be whether you can get it all to fit by doing it that way instead of in pairs on a single continuous line.

If it works like you expect, seems like you should have nice results as far as consistency goes, by using the jigs and doing all your adjustment at the top instead of the bottom.  Good luck!

Sam,

They're just flat faced and smooth. This way they made no marks on the brass like pliers would have.

This is how the deadeye is mounted. After the hole is drilled, I widen the entrance a bit with a pin. Then I place the "tail" into the hole and with slight force slip it down until it is flush. It's a good tight fit. Then I straighten it and touch it with CA after the shroud is roughly at the correct angle angle. After the CA sets, I will loop the shroud around the mast and fix it with a seizing and drop of CA.

post-4214-0-49321400-1417399442_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96481200-1417399462_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-46569700-1417399486_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-33561600-1417399515_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-74834300-1417399531_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-62916300-1417399545_thumb.jpg

I know many of you master modelers think I'm a Phillistine for this unorthodox approach, but for me, ship modeling is to create an illusion of this great fighting ship and not an exact replica as she was built. I do not have the skills to do that. 99.999% of the people viewing my model when it's done will never know of these tricks. I apologize for all you highly skilled ship builders, but I know my limitations and it will be many models and years before I ever even approach your superior skills. I really do appreciate your tips and suggestions though. Please keep them coming. I need your support.

Edited by Hipexec

Rich, so far I'd say the results look just fine, and I certainly don't have a problem with your different approach at all (of course I'm also a newbie, not a 'master modeller' by any stretch) - I was concerned with doubling the number of loops around the mast, and look forward to seeing how it works out!

I imagine that you could use zip seizings at the masts to make securing the top of the shrouds much easier (if you aren't already doing that).

I think what the other guys are concerned about is there being enough room up on the mast for all of the shrouds done separately. What they're saying is making them as 1 hoop, 2 lines, will cut down on congestion up at the mast top. But I'm sure you've already figured those factors into your later rigging plans. The deadeyes look good and I like the jig you made for them. Very cool. :)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

You build it how you like it Rich. I am enjoying watching it. You have brought a new method to all of us.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

The reason most modelers ask how you do something is because it looks good and it might be easier then the way they are doing it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

This is the method I've been copying....from Wolfram zu Mondfeld's book "Historic Ship Models"

He shows clearly stacked shrouds pretty high.

post-4214-0-69608100-1417483886_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-64645600-1417483901_thumb.jpg