USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Frank gave me a good tip a while ago on how to trim and clip small parts and line. He said use a straight edge nail clipper and believe me it works great, Well I just found an even better trimmer...a cuticle trimmer I found in the dollar store for a dollar! It really gets you tight and close.

post-4214-0-81152300-1419965314_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-12717900-1419965327_thumb.jpg

The ratlines are finally finished!

I feel like I tied 50,000 knots.

If I had to do it over, I would have chosen a thinner guage line for the ratlines. These appear a little too heavy for my taste, but that's what Constructo told me to use. Live & learn.

Now I'm working on the various stays

post-4214-0-62990800-1420299653_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-62370300-1420299666_thumb.jpg

Looking really good.  Now you come to the fun part of rigging.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm working on the stays. I'm also trying to improve on my attempt at seizing as I tried to attach each stay to its mast. I've tried pre-making neat seizings only to have them turn into a rats nests when attempting to use them. Maybe in my next life.

post-4214-0-82380100-1420341047_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-56605600-1420341059_thumb.jpg

The shrouds and ratlines look great Rich. Your stays loo good too. Nice work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

It is looking good Rich. The ratlines was one of the areas where I opted to go plan and go with almost the smallest line I could find. I say almost because I do have Fly tying line but that would have been nearly invisible. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Typical Constructo....They gave me detailed plans to build the spars, but no plan as to where they go or their names. There's one very small picture with bo names or details.

On the Mamoli plans the detailed drawings of the spars were labeled with a part number. I had to cross reference this part with the full ship diagram to see which spar went where. I labeled the details as I found them.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

The ratlines look good, I use the heavy thread for the horizontal lines and a thinner thread for the steps going up the ratlines. It makes a cleaner knot. Floquil used to make and sell liquid tar that I would use to paint on the ratlines once completed, which took away the fuzziness of the thread and gave it a nice appearance. But you can't buy that stuff anymore.  

Well done Rich with those ratlines !

I know what you mean after a few 1000 of those things  :D  :D

I have a little bit more on the Aggy when the time is there.

Sjors

Rich,

I have the plans out for my kit.  Page 2  has the side view of the rigging of the whole ship,  The cross trees are a little circle with the rigging to each on each mast with the #s 274-277 going up the formast.  On page 3, the #s are marked to the top view of each cross tree, with the for/aft view just below each one.  That should give you a clue how to find the rest. I highlighted around each cross tree # on both plans for quicker Identification.  My kit is a long way off yet until I get more experience reading plans and working with kits. The only boats I have done are self drawn plans, and scratch built.  Funny, but that way I seem to know just where to look for my parts, go figure! I started with scratch and am working toward using kits and plans.  I never was one to go the normal way on things.   

Have fun!

Great job so far! :D     Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Walter,

I saw the circles on the side view and marked each mast accordingly. I laid out all the sails to match them with each spar. I got the sail names from the internet. The plans to make the spars are excellent, though. 

Hi Rich,

just finished your log (to this point). Your ingenuity gave lots of insight and inspiration to a beginner like me.

I will be starting my first build/log in the coming weeks, and I am now slightly less daunted by it being a Constructo as well (The Gjøa).

All the best on the home stretch, and thanks for sharing your experience so thoroughly!

Simon

One picture will be worth a thousand words if some one can get me a picture of how a single spar (yard) is attached to the mast. Constructo gives none!

This is typical of the lowers Rich but this is the MS version

post-12186-0-44652500-1420521045_thumb.jpg

The rest aren't blown up but the pics are higher res so you can put them on your desktop and zoom in.

post-12186-0-49443100-1420521675_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-45543600-1420521691_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-10621100-1420521708_thumb.jpg

Hope these help

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner Rich, but I have my Connie's instructions in PDF that are/were freely available on the ME website for download. I put a copy in my Dropbox account and here's the link to that file. There's a lot of good info there and where your at, start on page 40. (Note: The sling is part of the STANDING RIGGING for the LOWER yards only, and trusses and jeers are part of the RUNNING RIGGING). The rest of the yards are hung in the running rigging sections. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65746799/MS2040%20-%20Constitution-Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Cheers  :cheers:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Rich,

I was doing some catchup on your log.  I really like your rigging line dispenser on page 99 post 1471.  That is really a great idea, Would you mind if I use it?  I might make some modifications to it to fit my needs, but that is a great way to avoid the lines from becoming all scrambled up, and I see it would lend itself to labeling the line positions for size and content. 

Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles