USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Us ratliners have to stick together. I am working on my main mast lower shrouds now. Of course I decided to break them up into parts. All of my upper shrouds are done. Then as I complete the running rigging on a mast, I do the lower shrouds. So I finished the rigging on the main and am working on those now. Then it is off to the mizzen. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bluejacket sent me poorly made aluminum deadeyes. I was expecting wood, but since their catalog is black & white drawings so how do you know. I had to drill out many of the holes and file off a lot of flashing and paint them wood color. Go figure?

post-4214-0-69775900-1418536209_thumb.jpg

Model Expo also has some nice Walnut ones. They matched the ones I received in the Mamoli kit.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I have to take a break with ratlines....I found myself slipping a bit more space between the ratlines to speed things up on the starboard side, so now I have to rip those out and  space them according to plan. It's breaktime!

Hi Rich:

Your last post reminds me of what we used to say in my old job "if you don't want to take the time to do it right, you'll need to spend time doing it over".

Frank

Bluejacket sent me poorly made aluminum deadeyes. I was expecting wood, but since their catalog is black & white drawings so how do you know. I had to drill out many of the holes and file off a lot of flashing and paint them wood color. Go figure?

I am sorry you were inconvenienced and disappointed with our deadeyes. We pride ourselves on the quality of our fittings, but being a casting, there is some minor clean up required.

For your future information, on the cover of our printed price list/fittings and on the fittings web page, we clearly state "unless otherwise noted, all fittings are Britannia metal"

Mr Bluejacket,

Most everyone on Model Ship World builds wooden replica  ship models and except for a few fittings like anchors etc they are made of wooden parts. Deadeyes especially. Your metal disclaimer is in very small print buried in the middle of the cover. If you didn't mention it in the above message, I would have never seen it. Your five color brochure sells wooden models, so you led me to believe I would recieve wooden deadeyes. 

Second...I ran a metal manufacturing company for 25 years and we would deburr and clean up all parts before sale to a customer. I had to drill out 15% of the deadeyes and de-burr most of them. I managed to make them look wooden with flat paint.

Edited by Hipexec

Part of the last upgrade. It was causing so much angst among some users they decided it wasn't worth the heartburn.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I opted for Ship's Cat.  No responsibilities, the run of the ship and the best food on board !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

The rank thing was kind of strange anyway. How could I be a full captain with only one and a half models to my name. My rank should be Chief All Thumbs

If you go to 'My Profile' you'll see a box called 'Edit my Profile'.  Click that and the member title box is right above your birthday.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm still working on ratlines. I also salvaged those aluminum deadeyes from Bluejacket. They were a good distraction from the very tedious ratline job. I should be finished with the lower ratlines in a few days. Then I'll start on the upper shrouds.

While I'm finishing up the starboard side lower ratlines, I drilling the fighting tops to take the upper shrouds.

post-4214-0-39569900-1419029097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

I just finished the lower ratlines. Lots of rookie mistakes, though. Boy will my next model be good!

post-4214-0-81729600-1419112735_thumb.jpg

You're looking great AND you didn't break your davits off! I have purposely not installed mine because I knew without a doubt I would break them off putting the rigging on. Your ship is looking very proper.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

She's looking fine Rich. And I have no doubt that the "simply amazing" aspects of this build will seriously out-weigh any minor mistakes there may be. :)

Hope you and yours have a Happy Holiday post-12186-0-44081900-1419117313.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Bill, after breaking them off twice a long while ago, I now give them wide and gentle berth.