New member Introduction

Bryan Woods

Hello all, my name is Bryan. I don’t have a lot of modeling experience, but I’m a skilled fire suppression pipe fitter looking at my last year before I retire. I’ve recently tried wood and metal 3D builds. They are challenging, but they are lacking the individual touch that gives me a satisfying sense of accomplishment. I’ve got the MS 1473 Shipwright 3 kit combo ordered. I’m starting with the Dory. I’ve been reading the other member’s build logs for the last few days. I already feel, before I’ve even started building the boats, the Model Ship World has help me understand beginning terminology, basic construction and hind sight that helps us all. I hope I can learn, refine, and return the favor to someone like me.

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin, Peterboro Canoe- Midwest
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

:sign:

This is the place to be!!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to MSW, and congrats.  You have made perhaps the best possible choice of models for starting into this fabulous hobby of ours.   Don't be afraid to sttart a build log and never hesitate to ask questions.  Then again, you may get many more answers than you want, what with 43,000+ members😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW and model ship building,  :cheers:

As CPDDET said, it is rewarding and sometime frustrating.  When working compound curves, the wood often doesn't do what you think it is going to do.  Fear not and worry not.  Using wood glue, everything is fixable (sez the guy who has unglued most of his models at one point or another).  Alcohol is your friend...scotch and isopropyl.  ...and you can never have too many clamps.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to model ship building and to MSW, Bryan.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, Bryan Woods said:

I don’t have a lot of modeling experience

I don't have a lot of experience with model ships either, but along with the old hands on here, I welcome you.

They are a great bunch.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum