US 6” gun by RGL - FINISHED - Panzer Concepts

RGL

10 hours ago, wefalck said:

Where is the engine located under the driver's seat?

Yes. these trucks are what would later be called COE's Cab Over Engine...

10 hours ago, wefalck said:

And how is power transmitted to the clutch, via a chain-drive, as on early petrol and steam lorries?

By 1914 they had already figured out how to attach a clutch to a flywheel...

It was actually during this period that the controls for trucks, (clutch, brake & gas pedals, shift patterns and steering type and location) were standardized... All trucks had the same cab layout from 1915 on didn't matter who built it...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Absolutely! That works...

Thank you..

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

So my plan is to have a convoy of vehicles per se. I went down to the local Men’s Shed this afternoon and ordered a 1.5 m plank with beveled edges cut in half for storage. On this I will put the 2 tractors, the 6” gun, 2 different US trucks and a scout car. I have a heap of extras to throw in the truck trays to make it interesting. 

00AD0F01-0333-419E-8058-D3B3F2E68C0C.png

CEF564C2-A1E8-4F17-9F47-293C565FA678.png

Greg

Almost 5 feet long? It's going to be spectacular.... (nice on the mantle as well)

Quote:

10 hours ago, RGL said:

So my plan is to have a convoy of vehicles per se. ....         ..... I will put the 2 tractors, the 6” gun, 2 different US trucks and a scout car. I have a heap of extras to throw in the truck trays to make it interesting. 

00AD0F01-0333-419E-8058-D3B3F2E68C0C.png

This is an interesting pic, an artillery section, a single gun of a battery, probably the first section given that the White TCL command car is leading it... Behind that is a Mack AC probably five ton battery supply truck, behind that is a Jeffery/Nash ammo truck, Behind that is a 5 ton tractor pulling either a 4.7 inch gun or a French 75 on it's caisson/limber, behind that is either a Standard B or an FWD repair truck with it's platforms and awnings open....

Hard to tell what the remaining train is, but this is typical of the size of a single gun train probably in 1920 or so judging from the five color camo pattern taken at either Fort Sill or Fort Dix.... A full battery would have four to six such sections... Here your looking at a dozen vehicles to support a single gun....

When on the road a full battery train would stretch out for two miles and this is for a light artillery battery, a heavy artillery battery would have twice as many vehicles....

Quote:

The energy density of petrol/diesel used in an IC is by orders of magnitude higher than that of hay/oats used by a horse ... the amount of hay needed by an army (or by a city of old) is quite staggering and required considerable logistics ... plust the associated waste management. There was a continuous train of hay-waggons following the troops.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Terrific job on the Holt Greg!  Yes, I’ve watched Martin’s Night Shift channel, wonderful work.  But it’s one thing to watch and another to execute.  Your weathering on this tractor is really exceptional.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

A question by the side: further up you used Vallejo 'Environment, 73.826' - from the descriptions I read, it is not clear, whether these paints actually have some fluffy or gritty stuff mixed into them, or whether 'mud and grass' is just a description of the colour. Any advice?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

ICM   do seem to make  some Excellent kits.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, RGL said:

Wait for it! Once I’ve done this I’ve got sone figures stored up. I just have to learn how to paint them 

If your figure painting is like all the other stuff  you do  -  they  will  be  more than nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1