US 6” gun by RGL - FINISHED - Panzer Concepts

RGL

You can see the process of development 100 years after, just not then. Like why do they need a front steering wheel? Obviously not but back then? I grew up in a farm in the 1970’s with big tractors but the difference to farmers by was very very different 

Greg

Tine to break out your favorite filler. Are these styrene or resin?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

A kinda soft styrene they have been using recently... I have the same thing here, not only is the mating edge uneven it is rounded instead of having a sharp corner....

To a modeler it is a minor issue, we know how to fix it, but it  becomes a frustration when they fail to handle the basics of good mold making....

I hear ya Greg....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 2/16/2023 at 5:28 AM, RGL said:

You can see the process of development 100 years after, just not then. Like why do they need a front steering wheel? Obviously not but back then? I grew up in a farm in the 1970’s with big tractors but the difference to farmers by was very very different 

Maybe there were no steering clutches on the track drives? 

1903 Technology, clutched and braked differential steering for tracked units hadn't been adopted when Holt was designing their tractors.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 2/16/2023 at 5:28 AM, RGL said:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Maybe there were no steering clutches on the track drives? 

If you take a quick trip into the history of Holt tractors, the first machines that Holt  built were all wheeled tractors. The tracks were a later development driven by the need to spread the tractor’s weight out over a greater surface area when working soft ground. The other option was to use massively large diameter and width drive wheels, which would have been impractical. So as a development of a four wheeled machine, a steering clutch was unnecessary.

Holt did eventually buy the patent for a steering clutch system (from Richard Hornsby & Sons), in 1912. This did enable Holt to eventually do away with the front tiller wheel, but likely any manufacturing development would not have come early enough for government requirements driven by WW1.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

This did enable Holt to eventually do away with the front tiller wheel, but likely any manufacturing development would not have come early enough for government requirements driven by WW1.

Yep, and eventually Holt became the Caterpillar Corporation.... And, in 1914, they were the first to provide the military with a steerable tracked tractor, the two and a half, five and ten ton artillery tractors.... The five ton was especially useful pulling everything up to 155mm... This greatly eased the pressure on the Holts which then were used exclusively for the heavy artillery and vehicle recovery....

Commander models does the five ton in resin.... 

Nothing advances technology and engineering faster than warfare.... (what does that say about mankind, {chuckle})

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The engine, lots of pieces and lots of clean up needed. Full day to clean up and add to the engine block, lots of blobs cut out to help with alignment and tomorrow I can add sone details. The beauty of this engine is that it’s simple but lot and lots of reference photos 

846B6A10-8716-44C0-8BF9-32C323E4947A.jpeg

F4946B85-59EC-4243-B217-01943FC0BF54.jpeg

9A668CD5-42A5-4ACC-9AF5-3CCCC4982EB9.jpeg

67F7480D-99E3-4E3B-8008-84449DD0679B.jpeg

Greg

So we are all probably old enough to remember the horrible soft plastic from Airfix, and according it’s bloody hard to work with. I’ve cut and sanded for hours so I could improve on the cylinder heads to look a little better. I’ll do the wiring once I’ve painted it. 

388EA5FC-4B0A-499A-8A26-6EAB142DEA15.jpeg

64C27643-15F9-4AEC-AB77-6F8A50626DE9.jpeg

Greg

2 hours ago, RGL said:

So we are all probably old enough to remember the horrible soft plastic from Airfix

Yes 😉

Nice work on these engines.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I’m appreciating your attention to detail, the kit looks very good, but your additions will make all the difference. The only thing I can think to add is you might have looked at thinning the fan blades. When I built a universal carrier the manufacturer had added etch for that particular item to offer better scale reproduction;

67AC79FE-8F2C-4401-A4D8-990B21C13B4E.thumb.jpeg.2a39e64624e9db33595de8a543a5a90e.jpeg
Thank you

Paul

3 hours ago, RGL said:

So we are all probably old enough to remember the horrible soft plastic from Airfix, and according it’s bloody hard to work with. I’ve cut and sanded for hours so I could improve on the cylinder heads to look a little better. I’ll do the wiring once I’ve painted it. 

Oh yes, the stuff that seemed to push your blades around to everywhere you didn't want to cut.....

They look mighty nice in their civilian colors, (green & black with red letters) shame it has to be a military paint job....

What are you going to use for wire? there's only room for one wire bundle, between the wire loom tube and the magneto, the actual spark plug connection is molded in the plastic.... (that tube running down the right side of the engine that curls up to the heads)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

23 minutes ago, RGL said:

Wire? 

OK, My allotment of stupid question for the day... {chuckle}

What type of wire is what I probably should have asked...

Quote:

Wonderful engines.   Love the video.  I do believe that today if a company tried to bring one to commercial market it would never happen.  The lawyers would want tons of protective covers every where.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So today I cut off all the remaining pieces off the Sprue and cleaned them up. 

every online build says the roof section has sink marks all down the centre. For once had a win and I had none whatsoever but I noticed Rock Lawler on his Propaganda site had put a strip down the middle to cover it. Made perfect sense so I did it as well and riveted mine in 

0C924A1C-14AB-4AAC-A8E5-8D666B813FF5.jpeg

Greg

The only break is your sprue attach points are on the sides, away from the linkages.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very interesting build you have going here Greg, and I’m really enjoying your log. Like the round modeling vice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox