Tips for the Second-Time Model Builder

Melissa T.

There’s a lot of excellent advice on MSW for the first-time builder, much of which I read carefully before embarking on this hobby.  As I slowly worked through my second build though, I had some thoughts and insights that had not occurred to me previously and that I thought might be useful to the second-time builder.  They may not apply for everyone, but they did for me.  Here are my lessons learned from my second kit, from the sublime (at least to me!) to the ridiculous:

1.       You’re first kit may well have been an entry-level kit to get your feet wet, as mine was.  For the second one, pick something that appeals to you personally on an aesthetic or historic level.  Make sure it’s something you can actually tackle successfully, but don’t be afraid to stretch just a bit.

2.       Find a build log for your kit by someone light years ahead of you in skill level.  Print out the pages for the steps you’re working on (after running them through Google translate if they’re in a different language).  You won’t be able to replicate what they have done, but they will give you ideas on specific techniques to use and ways you can improve your own build.

3.       The finished product is really cool and fun to look at, but by far the real joy is in the lengthy, painstaking process of building it.  Don’t worry about how long it’s taking – revel in it.

4.       It’s not so much a kit that you’re building, as it is a series of problems that you’re solving.  Thoroughly research, ponder over, and test EVERYTHING before committing anything to glue.  I love that aspect of this hobby – problem solver’s paradise.

5.       It’s impossible to have too much workspace or too much lighting.

6.       Invest in the right tools, and don’t go cheap on these.  They will sometimes cost more than the kit, but pay off many times over in terms of a better result and much less frustration.

7.       Annealing brass strips before bending is a thing.  Who knew?  (I actually had to look up the word “anneal”)  Highly recommend getting one of those little butane torches for culinary use.  Better ship modeling AND a crispy topping for your crème brulee – it’s a win-win!

8.       CA glue is the worst thing ever invented by humankind.  You have to use it anyway, because it’s impossible to clamp everything that’s been glued with PVA.  Your fingers will get stuck together with the CA, and there will be unsightly glue stains where you least want them.  But it works.  When it absolutely, positively can’t be clamped, reach for the CA.  Get the gel variety, and apply with a needle tip.  I hate the stuff.  I love the stuff.

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Excellent list! 

Might I add another or two?

Learn from any mistakes made in your previous or current model.

If you're offered advice on a specific that you don't know or are unsure about for your model by someone, look into it , and don't be afraid to go back and re-do or change if applicable and possible.

I know I'm still only on my first, but both have very much applied to me! 🤣

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

That's a really good list, Melissa.

I'll emphasize a couple of things you touched upon:

1. Select a model that you are really, really drawn to for whatever reason and make sure that it is a model that is reasonably within your ability level. You need to like the model a whole lot because it's the passion you have for the model that will sustain you if and when things get confusing and frustrating and every build will undoubtably have some of those moments.

2. Do your homework by reading build logs about models you are attracted to and choose models from companies that have good reputations for excellent instructions, materials and service. There are lots and lots of intriguing models that look stunning on the box cover and on the model company's website that come with poor instructions or barely any instructions at all. Many of these models have been around for years and, unfortunately, they haven't been updated. Sure they can be built into fine models by dedicated, experienced modelers who don't need good instructions and who are willing to substitute new materials into the build but, for newer model builders, they can be so frustrating that they simply get set aside and never finished.

You'll enjoy the building process much more and have a much higher chance of successfully completing your model if you choose a model that you love from a company with a good reputation for high quality materials and excellent instructions,  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

16 hours ago, Melissa T. said:

CA glue is the worst thing ever invented by humankind.  You have to use it anyway, because it’s impossible to clamp everything that’s been glued with PVA. 

Hi Melissa,

I agree with the first sentence.  🙂    Just one more opinion, hope you don't mind, but I do not agree with the second sentence.   I have rarely had a problem with PVA holding a piece in place after a minute with my fingers when there is no room for a clamp if the parts are shaped and fitted together properly, including planks.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I agree that, for most things, CA is an abomination. As Allan pointed out, if a part has been properly pre-shaped, no serious clamping will be necessary; just finger pressure. A vet friend of mine does use surgical grade CA - for minor accidents in his workshop.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A couple of years ago I knocked an open bottle of CA glue over on my workbench.  Frustrated at a gummed up nozzle I had removed it.  The contents of the bottle spilled down the front of the blue jeans that I was wearing.  12 hours later, I woke up in a panic with my sinuses completely blocked up.  Long story short this involved a trip to the Emergency Room at our local hospital.  A cautionary tale to others.

I haven’t used or needed to use this stuff since.

Roger

All good points on the CA glue.  I'd definitely rather not use it at all as there are just too many things that can go wrong.  Given your experience and insights, I'm going to try to avoid it altogether as I work through my Philadelphia.

Melissa T.

Current Build: 85' ARB Scratch build, 1:32 scale

Completed: Gunboat Philadelphia - Model Shipways, Statenjacht - Kolderstok, Swampscott Dory - BlueJacket ShipCrafters

There have been many discussions of the pros and cons of CA glue here on MSW and there is not definitive consensus that it is hazardous to your health and is to be avoided like the plague. CA is widely used safely without allergic reactions by most users. That doesn't mean we need to not be cautious in it's use and, certainly, if you have found that you have a sensitivity to it, you should avoid it or take precautions to protect yourself.

I personally do not like the CA fumes but I'm sensitive to just about any strong odors like perfumes and household cleaning agents etc. However, I have found CA  glue to be very useful especially for planking without the need for extensive clamping and for other situations where I need a quick, strong hold that would be very difficult to achieve with other adhesives. When I do use it, I use it with good ventilation and I have CA debonder readily handy.

Have I glued my fingers? Yes. Have I messed up with it in other ways? Yes again. Is it my favorite glue? No, but it certainly has it's place at my modeling table and sometimes just a tiny spot of it applies with a needle or something similar will get the job done very effectively.     

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

A bit late to this thread but I love your list.  When I was at the point of deciding on my second model (first "real" model was the Revell Connie), the PC hadn't been invented and the only wood kits I could find were sold by a now-defunct craft retailer called Lee Wards.  They sold two kits, Mantua's pirate ship and Peregrine Galley.  I bought the better-looking of the two and was thrilled to find a catalogue included with the kit...Model Expo.  It is so much easier now to find something that appeals to one aesthetically or historically or simply for the challenge.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.