How an 18th Century Sailing Battleship Works

Tossedman

2 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

A few minor points regarding terminology, but overall, an excellent video!

Interesting video that obviously took a lot of effort to put together and as you point out, some terminology inaccuracies. 

At time mark 2:48, Jake states there are wooden air ducts fore and aft.  This was a new one for me.  I have never seen or heard of this on any contemporary plans or written sources.  I suspect that if they are there, they are a modern contrivance.  Anyone know if these were really on the Victory or any other ship back in the day?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

Interesting video that obviously took a lot of effort to put together and as you point out, some terminology inaccuracies. 

At time mark 2:48, Jake states there are wooden air ducts fore and aft.  This was a new one for me.  I have never seen or heard of this on any contemporary plans or written sources.  I suspect that if they are there, they are a modern contrivance.  Anyone know if these were really on the Victory or any other ship back in the day?

Allan

I wonder if he's talking about the gratings on the decks?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

59 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I wonder if he's talking about the gratings on the decks?

No, he shows them in the video. They are definitely ducts - square wooden tubes for and aft, angled up at the ends.

I saw that and am really confused by it.   I've never seen anything like that.   I did see one way back in the Usenet days were someone had set up the areas (pantries) around the mizzen mast on a 3-decker and made them into.... dumbwaiters to move food for the officers.  Somedays, things just get weird I guess.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Montaigne,  While it obviously took a lot of work to make this video and it really does look nice and something most of us could not produce, it does give out some misinformation.  In addition to showing air ducts which I am pretty sure never existed in the 18th and 19th century ships of the line, some other examples are the flat deck beams, stating that lines are coated in black tar, and incorrect rigging of the breech ropes.  This may have been changed on the modern day version but looking at a contemporary plan of Victory, the video has the galley stove in backwards. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Don’t think the guy that produced this video was a naval architect or naval scholar but nonetheless it was incredibly well produced and gave us a great 3D understanding of a working ship of the line. Best to take it for what it is and not needlessly question the video and it’s historical accuracy. 

Afterall it was published on Youtube!

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Montaigne,  While it obviously took a lot of work to make this video and it really does look nice and something most of us could not produce, it does give out some misinformation.  In addition to showing air ducts which I am pretty sure never existed in the 18th and 19th century ships of the line, some other examples are the flat deck beams, stating that lines are coated in black tar, and incorrect rigging of the breech ropes.  This may have been changed on the modern day version but looking at a contemporary plan of Victory, the video has the galley stove in backwards. 

Thanks, the air ducts got me thinking too, like, wouldn’t they just get air from all the gun ports? It’s gotta be the draftiest place imaginable, even with the gun ports closed, I would imagine. 

In their defense though, they do say the following in the beginning:

“We’ve based our model on the HMS Victory, however our goal is to present a high quality teaching model, with period correct generalizations, as opposed to a  history lesson on the Victory herself.”

2 hours ago, Montaigne said:

Thanks, the air ducts got me thinking too....

In their defense though, they do say the following in the beginning:

“We’ve based our model on the HMS Victory..

WhenI went round Victory last Summer is was actually quite stuffy in the hold and orlop so the air ducts being a modernish improvement for the benefit of the public makes sense to me. No windows this far down for some unfathomable reason ;) 

1 hour ago, OllieS said:

WhenI went round Victory last Summer is was actually quite stuffy in the hold and orlop so the air ducts being a modernish improvement for the benefit of the public makes sense to me. No windows this far down for some unfathomable reason ;) 

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. 

Historical inaccuracies aside, I liked the video. It would have taken ages to produce that D3 model and then make a flythrough deck by deck. Quite impressive. 

Good one and wonderful! In our german site the question about the "vent trunks" came up too. Those are shown in the Vic today and are also displayed in the AOTS by McKay and this where the name was taken from. That´s why me too I incorporated them in my build, long before going to deeper resaerch and questioning sources like the modern authorities 🙂

My believe is that the principal source of the video is AOTS as other small bits fit in there too.

All the best and enjoy the show, DAniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html