Hello from Niagara

Hello,­­­

I discovered Model Ship World just a week or so ago.  I was not then intending to build a model, but I am now.

Let me explain.  I already have a sailing model boat, a Bermudian rigged sloop, 27 inches from prow to counter, 4 inch beam. Photo attached. Draft when sailing, 4½ inches; lead keel.  Tonnage: 1.48kg.  This was given to me by my father, probably around 1949, when I was ten years old.  I used to take her to a shallow ornamental pond close to where we lived.  She sailed beautifully under staysail and mainsail, but has only been in the water a handful of times in the last 70 years.  This vessel was sitting in the basement, looking increasingly shabby, the sails brown and foxed, so I decided to renovate it.  I sewed a new suit of sails and she looked much better. Then I began by searching for brass rings for mast hoops.  That’s when I stumbled upon Modeler’s Central, then MSW and the rest is history, as they say.  A bit more work is needed to finish the renovation to my existing model.

That wasn’t my first ship model actually.  Just after the war, when I was about 7 years old I built a rather simple representation of a battleship.  No hull as such;  I started with a piece of plywood shaped to the deck plan and then built up the superstructure. I can’t remember, but there must have been plans;.  This was not a kit.  All the parts were from thin plywood, which  I cut out by hand with a little fret saw, the cutting table clamped to the kitchen counter.  The guns were made from matchsticks.

Fast forward to 1964: I put together a plastic kit model of the Cutty Sark.

So now, 60 years on from that and feeling a bit tentative about the whole thing, wanting to keep it fairly simple, I have started on the Occre Albatros kit.  I am enjoying it enormously.

Andrew at Niagara

IMG_2268(1).thumb.jpg.b62b14ade032ff5c06b8c204fea9cd29.jpg

Welcome aboard Andrew.  THANK YOU for sharing your story with us.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome aboard, Andrew. Which side of the Niagara River are you on? There are two clubs not far from you: Marine Modellers of Niagara (Ontario side) and Model Shipwright Guild of Western New York (Rochester). Both can be found in the 'clubs' section on this site, so take a look.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Andrew, glad that you found the forum and welcome aboard.  Hopefully you will find the crew and contents increasingly helpful and enjoyable over time.  Thanks for sharing the history of your interest in model ships, and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your Albatross.  Please do consider starting a build log to document your work!

Welcome aboard, Andrew! 
You've come to a great place to learn about this hobby.  I've seen someone has already mentioned Model Shipwrights of Niagara.  I just joined it a few months ago and have enjoyed attending the monthly Zoom meetings.  It is well worth the time to check it out:  https://modelshipwrightsofniagara.weebly.com Membership is free. There is a membership form on the main page or you can just email them directly: modelshipwrightsofniagara@gmail.com 

Clear skies and sharp tools!

- Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.