Cutty Sark by VitusBering - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - Redux

That looks much better. Having the tension from the fore stays makes a huge difference in terms of keeping everything shipshape. You have a ways to go but this is real progress!

George

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Fantastic job.  

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 weeks later...

Standing rigging is virtually done. Though the main and fore ratline rungs are yet to be tied, I consider this a significant milestone because it means I'm finally done threading those accursed deadeyes. 196 of them on the main deck alone. There will likely be a small handful to be done in the running rigging but nothing on the scale of the standing rigging.

I'll start on the ratlines tomorrow and when they're done, all that is left is a ton of detail touchup paint and I can put paid to the standing rigging.

I've played fast and loose with tie points and methods partly out of n00bish ignorance, partly laziness, and mostly because of the indecipherable and bizarrely inappropriate instructions.

20230725_200128.thumb.png.c965d23fceee5b179495f0a0511f70e2.png20230725_200330.thumb.png.e44e350677b4a7fa94622f01a02124c2.png

Looking great Daryl, was not aware that there are so many deadeyes! I will have some less on my wooltrade Cutty Sark, to the contrary I have some more copperplates (about 240), as her wool-draft is 2'6'' more than her tea-draft. 😉

Keep up the good work!

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

'Looks very nice, and the 3-D railings are impressive (as well as the PE work).  You've made some good 'calls'.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

19 hours ago, LeoM said:

Looking great Daryl, was not aware that there are so many deadeyes! I will have some less on my wooltrade Cutty Sark, to the contrary I have some more copperplates (about 240), as her wool-draft is 2'6'' more than her tea-draft. 😉

Keep up the good work!

I briefly considered copper plating my model but sanity prevailed 😄

I am sure yours will look awesome.

I was off by a few on the deadeye count. There are only 192 deadeyes in the standing rigging 🙃

Each ratline shroud has a pair and each backstay has a pair.

There are 60 ratline shrouds and 36 backstays.

20230726_144654.thumb.png.301c256f6a97ccae79425c1e2a2d61e7.png

[edit] ouch - the camera caught a stray piece of scrap thread laying on the spars. I usually catch those things myself or let the canned air dust them into the ether. The camera also catches all the places I need to touch up paint. I may take a boatload 😉of pictures to help me spot those when the ratlines are done.

Edited by VitusBering

Nice photo!!

Shows your excellent "Siezing."

Very nice!!

(Good to see the "Hermaphrodite" Spars on the Deckhouse.)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 3 weeks later...

Minor disaster... the knots for the starboard foremast shrouds were not set and the shrouds were a bit loose so I tightened them and intended to put a drop of CA at the upper wrap point.

Instead of a drop a gush happened and the glue ran down the shrouds.

I've had to cut them loose. The upper wraps are fairly cemented in place so I will try to wrap over that with the new shrouds. It isn't a fatal mistake but a very disheartening one but I'll recover as best as I am able. No pics, yet, it is too embarrassing but I'll let you folks tell me if it is too noticeable when I get the ratlines tied.

3 hours ago, VitusBering said:

Instead of a drop a gush happened and the glue ran down the shrouds.

There is always a minor disaster and once you are finished no one will notice. On my Niagara my drill caught a line and ripped the jibboom in half (while rigged). Took hours to repair but no one notices. On the Flying Fish I accidentally yanked a sheet tackle out of the deck, and in the process (a) failed initially to reinstall it, (b) drilled a new hole only to accidentally CA glue a drill bit attached to my pin vise into the deck, and then (c) break both sheets and the yard truss holding it to the mast removing the pin vise and drill bit. Despite all that, I doubt anyone would know if I didn't tell them.

Consider this the modeling equivalent of how Amish quilters supposedly put intentional mistakes in...

Regards,

George

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

2 minutes ago, gak1965 said:

There is always a minor disaster and once you are finished no one will notice. On my Niagara my drill caught a line and ripped the jibboom in half (while rigged). Took hours to repair but no one notices. On the Flying Fish I accidentally yanked a sheet tackle out of the deck, and in the process (a) failed initially to reinstall it, (b) drilled a new hole only to accidentally CA glue a drill bit attached to my pin vise into the deck, and then (c) break both sheets and the yard truss holding it to the mast removing the pin vise and drill bit. Despite all that, I doubt anyone would know if I didn't tell them.

Consider this the modeling equivalent of how Amish quilters supposedly put intentional mistakes in...

Regards,

George

Yikes. Now I don't feel quite as badly. Oof, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Just a short update note - I did recover from the glue spill, the shrouds are replaced and look good as new.

I only have the starboard bottom tier ratline rungs on the main and fore masts left to tie, all the rest are done.

When those are tied (only a few days from now, I'm guessing) I plan to do the touchup painting.

There's not much to do there but it is something I have on my to-do list.

Once that is done she'll go into dry dock for a time because the standing rigging will be as complete as I can get it before the yards are hung. I'll post pics at that point. Thank you all for your continued interest and patience 😉

Edited by VitusBering

The standing rigging is as done as it can get for now.

The ship is balanced on the stands, they're not glued to the hull nor are standoffs permanently attached, this is just a test to see if I like the color.

Yard sling chains are installed, will be trimmed to length when the yards are attached.

Now I'll start work on the yards. They need lots of stuff like jackstays, Flemish horses, footropes, a variety of blocks and pulleys, etc.

20230827_184335.thumb.png.888c8fa34f6d165022e1c88a97236725.png20230827_184427.thumb.png.96c32c5cfb98448d55b2e36dcd6635a9.png20230827_184509.thumb.png.0211a97c3a34cfa1df994d8d81e7f594.png20230827_184541.thumb.png.17cc97801ad3c7ece76ddc4a428ab502.png20230827_184612.thumb.png.af8066253bef44559f4a739b5238b97d.png20230827_184624.thumb.png.99da5e2543246886cf56392725515456.png20230827_184647.thumb.png.b3b50dcbc35d35bf7c02662c7db6aaab.png20230827_184804.thumb.png.fde0e168f5db170c4285f7516b311707.png20230827_184816.thumb.png.2be5a0f3ffc431f9c96358361d64234c.png20230827_184930.thumb.png.c821a51b642ec51ebe6b48fc1d134191.png20230827_184939.thumb.png.a2c2ab80cc63ed1935d27755daeee818.png

There are alot of amazing details here, nice work my friend. :10_1_10:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thank you for your kind words Noel. Yes, those plans are the Campbell drawings. This particular set is from the Royal Museums Greenwich. They're pleasant to have as wall art, and a handy reference (though the electronic zoomable versions are more convenient).

I'm not sure of the source for these - and I apologize to the guy who linked them for me originally because I can't find that original post yet. It is quite likely in my old build log but I haven't seen it.

cutty sark drawings.zip

This set is from Radimir Beseda at hismodel.com. They have icons denoting which blocks are installed on various lines. They're most useful if you have Radimir's accessory set but they may come in handy otherwise as well.

hismodel drawings.zip

Edited by VitusBering

• 2 months later...

I have been MIA for a couple of months due to a health crisis. I am back in the wheelhouse part time and feeling pretty good.

Before the unfortunate events I made some progress but not enough to post pics quite yet so you all will have to take my word that I've got most of the foremast yards rigged up with Flemish horses, footropes, jackstays, pulleys, and blocks. All but the top two spars are done and ready to hang but they will have to wait until all of the mast's yards are ready.

The other two mast's yards don't have jackstays yet and are not yet painted. I have a lot of work to do before I can post pics but now that I am ambulatory again I think I can make tangible progress in a relatively short time.

• 2 months later...

Good luck. Hope that you continue on the mend rapidly.

• 3 months later...

I am alive, or so they tell me. I am also finally becoming ambulatory again and my poor CS build is getting very dusty and lonesome. I will return to it, I've promised myself that. When, exactly, is an open question but this year certainly.

Focus on healing - the ship won't go anywhere - but perhaps someone could drape lightweight plastic (or an oversized box) over the project to keep dust off in the interim.   Best wishes,  Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

34 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Focus on healing - the ship won't go anywhere - but perhaps someone could drape lightweight plastic (or an oversized box) over the project to keep dust off in the interim.   Best wishes,  Johnny

+1 on that. Get yourself better.

George