Revenge 1577 by Loracs - Amati - 1:64

Greetings all,  Starting to build Revenge from Amati. Several reviews are available, so I won't describe the kit content but rather go right away to my build log.  Overall, great kit, excellent documentation and well printed plans.  I'm not a fan of the printed decorations.  Not sure now how to handle it later.  Either paint myself or, most likely, use commercial inlays.  I'm not there yet so I will see later.  NOTE: don't hesitate to comment.  Will take suggestions and critics alike.  That's the only way to learn.

The dry fit was excellent.  Frames 1-4 were a little loose, so I use the inserts 17, 18, 19 as spacer as well as the decks to glue everything together.

61BA8F22-C0CE-48D1-8292-840B5DE07774_1_105_c.jpeg

E9A59A83-944C-4058-956F-8799A696DE7F_1_105_c.jpeg

0B291974-417C-4BC6-87BA-5BC6473D8C11_1_105_c.jpeg

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

The first step was to work with the bulkheads 1-3 for better contact in future hull planking.  Was easier to do off-ship. I went ahead and planked the first deck as per documentation. Quite straightforward when working off ship.  The deck comes in two pieces and I started in the middle using 120mm strip pieces.  The middle strips are glued only to the first half...  as many suggest here. 

C4A5131B-D8C3-43B2-83C4-5804074EC6B5_1_105_c.jpeg

C8E124AC-9C07-4122-BB02-2D0379744FCC_1_105_c.jpeg

95F763DA-293B-4701-BC06-DEA25ED3F737_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

After planking the deck, I treated the wood with "sanding sealer" and applied three coats of water-based matte polyurethane.  The brass grates were a little trickier.  First, they were oxidized with "Brass Black" and the finish seal with matte poly.  The oxidation is very thin and at the surface, they chip very easily until sealed.

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Historical question.  Did the head ledges for the gratings round in 1577 as they did in the 17th century and onwards?    Regardless, based on your start, I am SURE your model will surpass the awful piece on sale for $42,000.   https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/folk-art/nautical-objects/henry-culver-model-revenge/id-f_18564572/#skuId=f_18564572S1   Then again, PT Barnum's comment may come into play here.   If they get that price you should get closer to $100K 

Thanks

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello AllanYed,  Excellent question... and I'm surely not the one that can answer it with certainty.  I found this post from another member here (Note: Just realized it was one of your... after posting).  It indeed looks like it should be rounded toward the deck.

Edited by Loracs

When I originally made the drawing above in 2010 it was for the Euryalus (1803) so the rounding, if any, may have been different for Revenge (1577). The height of the head ledges and coamings definitely varied over the years, getting higher above the deck as time went on but I cannot find anything based on contemporary sources regarding the rounding itself.  Not the most important thing in a build, but might be interesting to some.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan (my God I replied using your own post lol), You are right... I even look for public schema of other ships... unfortunately, little found there. 

Note:  I find it interesting. Something I have not even though about it until you raised the question. I just assumed the kit designer had it right (they may have, but maybe not).

--Loracs

Edited by Loracs

Deck planking: more of the same.  The front deck was slightly shaped (round down) before fitting by first damping the back, placing on wood spacers on the edge (5mm high) and placing weight in the middle.  Worked well. Rounded holes/squares using files and tested them before gluing. The rest was easy.

E845322A-02B6-49C5-9D4C-9B74B5E21673_1_105_c.jpeg

A64255BF-5545-427D-B000-8028DBDCBFC3_1_105_c.jpeg

A5575AC9-7464-4EE5-9DF0-BFB4CBC15B58_1_105_c.jpeg

5AB74B20-99D5-4CC9-BB69-7F84F614A2D5_1_105_c.jpeg

1AE90366-F6C8-4E24-B33A-538D8DF9F176_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Nicely done 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Second deck and cross beams...  slow (due to bad back) but steady progress.

Note for the sake of accuracy: If you look at the deck with the whipstaff assembly, I forgot to leave spaces (un-planked space) between bulkhead 12 and 13.   Therefore, parts 12b and 13b will be 1mm higher (the thickness of the planks).  Luckily, dry fit with the third and final deck seen ok....  Since everything is currently glued, reversing the mistake would have been quite some work.  For once, I appreciate the slight tolerance that the kit offers.  

On the plus side: not having to deal with those spaces at bulkhead 12 and 13 allowed me to perfectly align the deck planks within and across both decks.

Really like the model so far, the manual is great...  remind myself to follow the steps.

A4DAFCF6-5997-48F5-8D86-2F63C0DE22C8_1_105_c.jpeg

FF56F1CB-BDF8-4E14-BC9C-DF01ABD2E888_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

12 hours ago, Loracs said:

(due to bad back)

Same problem here :(
Great progress

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

• 2 weeks later...

Wet the side walls lightly and leave it dry on the ship for a few days, then finish the curvature with a steam iron.  The front parts required more aggressive bending using a small jig.  The frames for the gun-ports were glued off-ship, but require close fitting back and forth to the ship...  a very close fit.

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

In planning for the first planking, I built a number of stands to invert the ship and keep the bulkhead off the ground.  Having a worktable with rails will be handy here.  Note: found a use for the many masks left over from the pandemic.

The worktable is set on 2 feet circular "Lazy Susan", which allow me to rotate the table and work on either side without having to handle the ship.

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Some nice work my friend.  Bad back an all ,mine is bad as well lol. But we keep on modeling lol . Looking forward to more progress.   :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 2 weeks later...

This ship has curves, which is nice aesthetically but harder for planking.  Here's my process.

1. I measured the length at each bulkhead, then defined the optimal plank width at each position (Fig 1).

2. I used a mini planer to trim the planks. I did a batch of 4 (x2) at a time (Fig 2).  The edge remains flat with a nice tapering. Don't forget to mark the tapered edge.

3. Using a curly iron, I give the plank its rough shape, primarily at the bow.  THEN,

4. I slightly wet the plank using a rag (5 sec no more), then I attached it without glue (Fig 3).

5. Using a hair dryer, I then dry on the ship.  Repeat 2x (wetting then dry), leave alone 15 min, then dry again (until completely dry). Figure 4 shows the upper plank in place WITHOUT any glue...  a nice fit.  It was then glued in place.

Rinse and repeat.....

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

You just need to find a bigger bottle!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

the bottle is not empty yet...

Need help ? 😁

Regards, Patrick

On 7/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, Loracs said:

I'm not a fan of the printed decorations.  Not sure now how to handle it later.  Either paint myself or, most likely, use commercial inlays. 

On contemporary models as well as modern models some,  if not all, of the painting of the friezes and other fine work is done on paper which is then glued in place.  I like to use silkspan rather than bond paper but both work well.  There is an excellent description of this technique in The Fully Framed Model Volume II by David Antscherl on pages 27-30 as well as in some posts here at MSW especially those in Siggi's buildlog of Tiger.   There are more, but one  example: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/17716-hms-tiger-1747-by-siggi52-148-60-gun-ship-from-nmm-plans/page/17/   post #499

Allan