USCG Fast Response Cutter by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Dumas - Scale 1:48

Thanks, on second look you are absolutely correct.  I'll have to repaint.

I got my orientation completely screwed up, and I checked and double checked it -- but was just 180 out in my addled brain.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Thanks to Javelin, I got my head screwed on straight and have now fixed the running light positions.

Regards,

David

Repainted Pilot House.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Finished the somewhat complex radar structure.  

As you can see, it's made up from a combination of styrene tubes and wood dowels.  A few construction notes:

• It's just a bit oversized.  That's due to a gap between the instructions and the diagrams.  For those who might follow, the thing I didn't do was to resize the basic A-frame (before any bracing) to match the full size template.  I cut it to the length specified in the instructions, and that's a bit too long.  I then added braces, and only discovered that it was oversized as I got into the detail.  Not a big deal.

• If you follow the instructions, the whole thing would be yellow.  But the box art shows the white top, blue radars and silver (e.g. unlit white) sidelights.  So I resequenced things to match the box art, which i smore interesting.

Regards,

David

Radar Structure 1.jpg

Radar Structure 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

David, I noticed that you live in the Boston area. There are currently 2 of these new Coast Guard Fast Response Cutters home based in Boston now: the USCGC William Chadwick (WPC 1150) and the USCGC Warren Deyampert (WPC 1151). These are the first 2 of 6 that are scheduled to be in Boston. I think you might be able to call the Boston Coast Guard and schedule a visit to one of them. I'm sure they would be happy to give you a tour. They'd love to see your model also.

Recently, I was in Newport, Oregon, visiting family and I was able to get a personal tour of one of their 47 foot motor lifeboats just by walking up to the station and asking. They were glad I was interested and, as a CG veteran myself, I was able to exchange stories and experiences with them. Those 47 footers are amazing boats that can roll 360 degrees and self-right themselves. The crew members wear helmets and have seats with harnesses so they don't get thrown out to sea if the boat rolls. They also have air tanks with regulators close to their seats that they can use if they are trapped underwater or upside down too long. That would be a wild ride for sure!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Bob.  That's really interesting stuff.  Once I have the model completed and have completion pics, I might give them a call.

As a USCG alum, are you thinking about building this one at some point in the future?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

4 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

As a USCG alum, are you thinking about building this one at some point in the future?

It's possible, David. I've gotten away from my tiny shipyard in the past 2 years though but I'm fond of CG models although they are few and far between. I have a Dumas CG 40 footer model kit that's now discontinued that I'd like to build since I spent 2 1/2 years the 40 footers in Los Angeles as a coxswain/engineman. More than anything, however, is that I'd love to have a model of the Cutter Storis that I spent 1 1/2 years on tumbling around the Bering Sea and the Gulf of Alaska. I'd have to scratch build her  though and that's beyond my pay grade.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Lots of deck fittings added:

• Air vents
  • Whip antennas
  • Radar domes, radio antenna, searchlights
  • Inflatable life rafts; rigid life raft
  • Ammo lockers
  • Flag

Regards,

David

Air Vents.jpg

Radar Domes & Searchlight.jpg

Life rafts.jpg

Flag.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

She's really sharp, David! Fast ship!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

More deck fittings.

The instruction manual says to build the rear railing fixed onto the stern, and then paint it.  But my only yellow is spray paint, which I want to match to, so I reverse engineered it to make it removable.  See first two pictures.  Then painted yellow.

Other deck fittings on stern and bow shown below.

Regards,

David

Rear Railing 2.jpg

Rear Railing 1.jpg

Rear Railing 3.jpg

Fittings 1.jpg

Fittings 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

Lots more done.

• Finished the railings on the main deck and cabin deck.
  • Applied all of the decals, which really spiffs up the ship
  • Applied black striping at the waterline.

Now what remains is the little Zodiac boat that fits into the rear well -- and that will be it.

Regards,

David

Built 1.jpg

Built 2.jpg

Built 3.jpg

Built 4.jpg

Built 5.jpg

Built 6.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

That's a very sharp and fast looking ship, David! Nice work!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Completed!

Last step was to build the little Naiad boat that goes into the rear launch well.  Some pics here of that.

A full set of completion photos is in the Completed Kit Built Gallery.

Regards,

David

Completion 10.jpg

Completion 11.jpg

Completion 12.jpg

Completion 13.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Nice job, David! I really enjoyed watching you build this CG Cutter. She looks really sharp and it was a very fast build too.

I hope you will be able to visit one of these ships home based in Boston. I'm sure they'd give you a guided tour and they'd love to see this wonderful model. I look forward to your next ship modeling adventure!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks, Bob.  I've really enjoyed your "USCG Insider" comments.

Next one up, when I get motivated, will be the Amati Bismarck.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

3 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

Thanks, Bob.  I've really enjoyed your "USCG Insider" comments.

Next one up, when I get motivated, will be the Amati Bismarck.

Regards,

David

Very nice build!!

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with you Bismarck build when you get to it. 🙂)

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Very well done, that looks really slick! If you manage to swing an inside tour, please report back here, I (and I'm sure others) would love to hear about it.