Gjoa by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 5/32” = 1’ - old solid hull kit

Gjoa was used by Roald Amundsen to traverse the North West Passage from 1903 to 1906.  She was built in 1872 and used as a herring fisher until Amundsen purchased her in 1901.  This kit is  an old Model Shipways “yellow box” kit that I purchased on eBay several years ago.  These kits have minimal instructions and just a few parts: a machine shaped solid hull, some blocks for deck houses that are never the right size, dowels for masts and yards, and a bag of metal fittings.  I worked on the kit off and on over the last several years but failed  to take any photos.  Once I finished the paper model of the liner United States I decided to attack the Gjoa seriously. Attached are a few photos showing the construction of the cap rails and the pin rails.  For the cap rails I traced the out line of the bulwarks onto a piece of sheet wood, widened the line to the cap rail width, leaving plenty of extra wood.  The rough rails were then glued in place and shaped to fit.  The pin rails were done similarly with lots of test fitting with final shaping after they were glued in place.  In the photo the port side pin rail has just been glued .

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The deck furnishings are coming along. I didn’t have a wood thin enough to bend for the roofs of the WCs and the companion way, so I made them out of card stock. Now that it is posted I see a gap between the wall and roof on the starboard WC.  Have to fix that.  

IMG_6127.jpeg

Edited by Papa

Posted (edited)

I purchased the kit on eBay quite a few years ago. I am not sure if these pins were original or not.  They may be too nice for the period of the kit.  

Edited by Papa

The hatch was not too difficult other than cutting accurate miters on 1/16 x 1/16 strip wood.   That cabin was a problem.  The kit provided a solid block of wood that matched the overall dimensions but I struggled with the window frames.  Eventually I decided to make them from cards stock and I was lucky enough to have some brass rings in my parts box that were a good fit for the portholes. 

IMG_6131.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Papa,

Just discovered your build log of the Gjoa. What a great model you have on the go. The reason I am writing is the fact that I visited Gjoa Haven (Uqsuqtuuk) back in 2003 when I sailed aboard the CCGS Sir Wilfrid Laurier. Your model brought back some memories of the time I visited there and I thought you might be interested in seeing a few photos I took while I was ashore. I have also added a photo of a promotional poster the territorial government issued to entice some tourism.

Amundsen must have been a pretty guttsy guy to take on the Northwest Passage in such a vessel as the Gjoa. All the best going forward with your model.

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_0113.thumb.jpg.d85c5d3cbea3354672154c46e5e1d078.jpg

GangsallHere.thumb.JPG.eba06fe43485933d1034dcfd7e3e1760.JPG

GjoaHavenLostFleet.thumb.JPG.f63bcca113f1296ed272e45176ac22e2.JPGGjoaHaven1.thumb.JPG.fde9df7625a99c6fe6e79d640207de95.JPG

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Nice job, it looks great!

28 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

mounted

28 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

What is that fixture she is mounted on right now?

That’s a keel clamp to hold a ship model under construction.  I will probably just get some brass pedestals but I do like launching way mounts.