New member from Montana

DanBArt

Hello,

I am a new member residing in the state of Montana.   I am in my late 40s, a 20-year veteran of the rail industry,  and have been an avid modeler for most of my life.  Modeling subjects of interest for me have ranged from cars, armor, aircraft, motorcycles, and sci-fi to an occasional plastic sailing ship model.  

About 10 years ago I purchased the Heller 1/100th HMS Victory kit as a 'retirement' project, when I get there.  I've been lugging that huge box around for years but so far have resisted the urge to start it.

I do love wooden sailing vessel models but l have also been intimidated by them.  It's a slightly different skillset than is required for plastic modeling.  A couple years ago I purchased a very old Marine Models viking ship kit that I'm planning on starting soon.  Near as I can tell the model is from the mid-70s and appears complete.   More on that kit in a dedicated build post.  After that I bought a very cheap wood kit off Amazon that I think will build into a nice little model with some work and patience.   It is mostly my sampler to try out a planked hull as the old viking boat is a solid hull.   And lastly I have a Revell viking ship plastic kit that is started but I put down a couple years ago.  

I'm here for history and resource materials, wood kit tips and tricks, part and material supplier information, and people and projects to keep me motivated.   Thanks for having me. 

:sign:

This is the place to be !!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

1 hour ago, DanBArt said:

It is mostly my sampler to try out a planked hull as the old viking boat is a solid hull. 

It is not necessarily an  either-or situation.   Do a final shaping on the outside of the solid hull.  Fix it to a base upside down and use it as a mould for planking.  Study the planking run using serious sources. I don't think the serious up curve at each end is what it appears to be.  It is carving in large chunks of wood I think - not my area.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the fray.  It is great place to share and learn, enjoy the ride.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome,

I was raised in Great Falls and went to school in Havre and was the only one building sailing ships in my club.  I now live in Kansas.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thanks again to all the new comments.   While I'm a very experienced modeler in plastic, much of ship modeling is new to me.  Between my modeling, art, and mechanical background experience I'm confident I can become skilled at this as well, assuming my eyes and hands keep functioning ok, and I like the nature of the materials utilized in this niche.  Thanks again for having me. 

23 hours ago, Jaager said:

It is not necessarily an  either-or situation.   Do a final shaping on the outside of the solid hull.  Fix it to a base upside down and use it as a mould for planking.  Study the planking run using serious sources. I don't think the serious up curve at each end is what it appears to be.  It is carving in large chunks of wood I think - not my area.

Thank you.  That thought had crossed my mind, to use it as a mold but it's quite small and not really a shape or size that I would think I would like to build again.  A technique I may employ, however,  is planking on top of the solid hull itself, for the sake of finer detail on this model. 

Welcome from landlocked Idaho. Like you I have been modeling for many years but only recently started on wood models. Indeed some people do plank over solid hulls. I, personally , never did so. Instead started with an "easier" and smaller kit which had a hull form that I could tackle. Also double planking is a must for beginner. Good luck it is a challenging but rewarding hobby.

2 hours ago, Mercator said:

Welcome from landlocked Idaho. Like you I have been modeling for many years but only recently started on wood models. Indeed some people do plank over solid hulls. I, personally , never did so. Instead started with an "easier" and smaller kit which had a hull form that I could tackle. Also double planking is a must for beginner. Good luck it is a challenging but rewarding hobby.

Thanks for the information!   Yes, we'll see what I decide to do on that old model.  It does seem a bit of a complex form to plank for a beginner.   

I'm also looking at some very basic kits to cut my teeth on.  The China Amazon kit I have is supposed to be my sacrificial lamb as it literally cost under 20 bucks but seems a nice little kit for that paltry price.  Both of these 2 kits are designed to fulfill the role of test mules though the viking ship is a very old, classic kit that I really want to do justice.

Welcome. If you are new to wooden ship modelling, especially planking, a couple of quick suggestions. The NRG Store offers a 18th-Century Merchantman Half-Hull Planking Kit (click on the NRG tab above). This kit provides step by step instructions to include tips on calculating and spacing planks. Also, Model Shipways Shipwright Series has excellent kits, there are numerous postings on this site regarding the Dory.

Regarding the Marine Models Viking Kit, it was either first released in 1966 or 1967. I have a copy the 67 Catalog (yes, I have been around a long time) and it is the first kit listed, $17.50. I built this kit and planked it many years ago. While I have planked numerous solid hulls, this one was a particular challenge. Trying to replicate the curved planking on the bow and stern was a tedious task, couldn't use basswood strips, had to use a sheet of basswood and French curve template. And, as with any solid hull kit, thinning the bulwarks requires patience.

Good luck with your projects, this site is a good place to get feedback and tips.

Welcome to Model Ship World Dan!  You are definitely in the right place.  There many forum members who freely give their advice as well as share research information.  Everyone is friendly and encouraging; even when I posted pictures of my hatchet job on a clipper ship model.  You will definitely find MSW to be a valuable resource.  Make sure you check out the other forums on the MSW site and "how-to" articles.  I encourage you to read Chuck Passaro's article on planking as well as his planking videos on YouTube.  He makes planking look so simple.

Welcome Aboard! 

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

5 hours ago, Capt. Kelso said:

Welcome. If you are new to wooden ship modelling, especially planking, a couple of quick suggestions. The NRG Store offers a 18th-Century Merchantman Half-Hull Planking Kit (click on the NRG tab above). This kit provides step by step instructions to include tips on calculating and spacing planks. Also, Model Shipways Shipwright Series has excellent kits, there are numerous postings on this site regarding the Dory.

Regarding the Marine Models Viking Kit, it was either first released in 1966 or 1967. I have a copy the 67 Catalog (yes, I have been around a long time) and it is the first kit listed, $17.50. I built this kit and planked it many years ago. While I have planked numerous solid hulls, this one was a particular challenge. Trying to replicate the curved planking on the bow and stern was a tedious task, couldn't use basswood strips, had to use a sheet of basswood and French curve template. And, as with any solid hull kit, thinning the bulwarks requires patience.

Good luck with your projects, this site is a good place to get feedback and tips.

Thank you so much for this valuable information!   I am looking hard at the dory,  though may jump up to the Norwegian pram or even the lobster smack first.  I definitely want something with some masts and sails.  I have enough model ship experience to know I want that aspect of the challenge.   But I have a soft spot for the dory though too, as I've featured them in my own art as did Homer.

The date on my Marine Models kit plans is 1966, so yes, 66 or 67 would be correct.   It came with a full catalog and price list from either 73 or 74 (the year I was born), and a hand written letter from someone within either a distributorship that sold the model or Marine Models itself.  Planking it would be very difficult I think, and I don't think it will be my last viking subject,  so I kind of want to stay a little true to what the model is...an old solid hull,  and try to use my own craftsmanship to make it an accurate and attractive model. 

I will certainly check out that NRG Merchantman as well...that sounds like a great subject.  Thank you! 

6 hours ago, Wawona59 said:

Welcome to Model Ship World Dan!  You are definitely in the right place.  There many forum members who freely give their advice as well as share research information.  Everyone is friendly and encouraging; even when I posted pictures of my hatchet job on a clipper ship model.  You will definitely find MSW to be a valuable resource.  Make sure you check out the other forums on the MSW site and "how-to" articles.  I encourage you to read Chuck Passaro's article on planking as well as his planking videos on YouTube.  He makes planking look so simple.

Welcome Aboard! 

Thanks so much!  I will definitely look fir Chuck's videos!  I searched a bit on YouTube for so good videos but was a bit let down in what I found.  I'm pretty sure I did not see his videos.  Thanksa