The War Trophy by RGL - diorama with Fowler D6 steam tractor (DModels) and Krupp 21 cm Mörser (Takom) - PLASTIC

I am a great fan of Fowler traction engines, because of their looks and perhaps also because of their German connection: a young German engineer in search for better opportunities than on the continent ended up with Fowler in the 1860s. He made some important inventions/improvements to their ploughing engines, reorganised the Egyptian cotton industry with the help of Fowler engines and eventually became their agent for the German states and Eastern Europe with a seat in Magdeburg. 

Some 35 years ago, I built a Fowler Z7-type ploughing engine from a 1:76 Keil-Kraft kit (which at that time were readily available in model shops) with a lot of 'scratch'-building, as I had just acquired a watchmakers' lathe. The actual engine was virtually absent from the kit and various other aspects of the kit had to be corrected:

image.png.2352d3175a552695695b9c5cf69b5cb9.png

Before painting showing the amount of detail added to the Keil-Kraft kit.

image.png.c61cbbccd92b7cd0c0140abc8a76c52a.png

Finished and painted Fowler class Z7 ploughing engine in 1:76 scale.

I was lucky to live in the UK at the time, so I could visit various steam-fairs to take pictures of originals and there was also a local museum that owned a class BB ploughing engine.

I didn't know that there was an 1:35 scale kit of a class B6 traction engine. I always wanted to build a model of those. The kit looks good, but it is a pity that the whole engine-block has been cast in one piece. I would want to make the metal parts from real metal ... does the kit come also with wheels with rubber tyres? This is the configuration as agricultural engine. Not sure what the army would have used. The agricultural wheels would give more traction 'off-road', but are rather uncomfortable to ride on paved roads.

Incidentally, the German army experimented with traction engines as artillery tractors in the 1870/71 Franco-German War. I believe they were Fowler engines. There are not many accounts of their performance in the published literature - military writers of the time mostly were no techno-freaks and quite conservative. While their pulling capacity was judged favourably, the logistics of supplying them with fuel and water became too difficult as they moved away from railway lines. One should read up how the British did this during the Boer Wars, where armoured traction engines were used.

Looking forward to the progress in this building log  😃

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Posted (edited)

P.S. Where did you get the kit from? I could not find a source on the Internet ...

BTW, this is a comprehensive history of the John Fowler works:

LANE, M.R. (1980): The Story of the Steam Plough Works. Fowlers of Leeds.- 410 p., London (Northgate Publishing Co. Ltd.).

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, wefalck said:

P.S. Where did you get the kit from? I could not find a source on the Internet ...

It's up on evilbay....

Fowler Tractor 1/35th scale

D Models, that's in their e-bay store.... Not a bad price for what your getting...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks, in the meantime, when I did some searches on Fowler B6 it popped up there ... 100 € for a kit is quite a steep price actually (for me, as I am not used to buy kits, but only tools and books).

How long is the model by the way ? I didn't look up the measures of the original.

wefalck

It’ll probably be about 20cm long when finished. It’s very nice, I ordered mine from the maker via facebook. I’ll paint a lot of it before I put it together due to its complexity. If that’s yours above it’s one of the few builds on the Internet! 

Greg

48 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Thanks, in the meantime, when I did some searches on Fowler B6 it popped up there ... 100 € for a kit is quite a steep price actually (for me, as I am not used to buy kits, but only tools and books).

How long is the model by the way ? I didn't look up the measures of the original.

14 minutes ago, RGL said:

It’ll probably be about 20cm long when finished. It’s very nice, I ordered mine from the maker via facebook. I’ll paint a lot of it before I put it together due to its complexity. If that’s yours above it’s one of the few builds on the Internet! 

His web store is Scale Collectables.com... The owners name is Dan Silvestru... He's a great guy... A little over a year ago he offered to collaborate with me on the creation of models, I would create the STL files and he would create the masters for production... It looks like he still does that for designers....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I am still pondering the kit. I wouldn't build in WD-finish, but rather as a normal road-locomotive. The WD specifications (for good reasons) seems to have included unusual combinations of features, such a dished fly-wheel (as for road-locomotives, to not frighten horses on the roads) and wheels as for agricultural engines. 

wefalck

Posted (edited)

Those  figures look    nice  - they  will  paint up nice  Greg.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work Greg  -  those  should  weather  really  well.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Excellent painting - weathering  Greg  -  they  are not the   easiest  to get  right  -  you have done a  really good  job mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.