Ghost Ship Jenny by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - 1/400 - BOTTLE

1 hour ago, Glen McGuire said:

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it in a ship register since there's some doubt if it's a real story or urban legend of the sea. 

Hi Glen, that would explain a lot lol, not sure but I think I found this article too, but it looked a bit "dodgy" in my opinion. I was even looking if there is any chance that the name was different, but there are not many 3 mast schooners at all around that time leaving The Isle of Wight in 1822. There have been some ships around 1820 to 1823 but not many three mast schooner and definitely none with the Name "Jenny". The funny fact is, even the whaler "Hope" brings only very strange results. There was a Scottish Whaler which left Peterhead in 1802 sailing to the Greenland but never had a Captain with the name "Brighton". The "Hope"  was lost in 1830 in the Davis Strait (roughly 8,900 miles away from the Drake Passage) beside 17 other fishing vessels in this area. Funnily 1823 another 14 vessels were lost around Greenland.

With all that uncertainly, I figured I had plenty of artistic license when creating the ship.

So with all that uncertainty I could chose somehow any three mast schooner to "create" my own "Jenny"? Not sure if there are any wooden models out there or plans for a three-mast schooner. The only one that comes in mind is the "Atlantic" and maybe the Virginia (which I don´t like because of the canon).

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I was talking about snow melt

I know you were, just given' ya the biz. 

1 hour ago, Scottish Guy said:

So with all that uncertainty I could chose somehow any three mast schooner to "create" my own "Jenny"?

That's the great thing about a subject like this - whatever you choose to do, nobody can prove you are wrong!  :cheers:

17 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

That's the great thing about a subject like this - whatever you choose to do, nobody can prove you are wrong!  :cheers:

Any suggestions about a nice wooden three-masted model? Most ones I can find are two-masted... :cheers:

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Any suggestions about a nice wooden three-masted model? Most ones I can find are two-masted...

I have a pretty dismal knowledge of kits (I've only done 1 and it was a square-sailed steam yacht).  I would suggest posting that question on the "Discussion for Ship's Plans and Nautical Research.  General Research on Specific Vessels and Ship Types" forum on the MSW home page.  I'm certain you would get a lot of responses from the MSW community.

Edited by Glen McGuire

18 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

I have a pretty dismal knowledge of kits (I've only done 1 and it was a square-sailed steam yacht).  I would suggest posting that question on the "Discussion for Ship's Plans and Nautical Research.  General Research on Specific Vessels and Ship Types" forum on the MSW home page.  I'm certain you would get a lot of responses from the MSW community.

Thank you for that Glen, really appreciate that

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Yes, Gary.  I'm experimenting with adding a touch of Tamiya clear blue to some gloss varnish to see if I can get a good look.  The Tamiya clear blue is sort of translucent and I'm hoping it will give me just the slightest hint of blue while maintaining the shine of the gloss varnish.   I've got lots of leftover icebergs to play around with!

Hey Glen, When the melt happens up here in the artic you can track were the Penguins have been during the winter , much like you can tell were Dimples has been as well, I am sure. I would keep just a little Tamiya Brown ,  just in case .     🐧💩

:cheers: 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Posted (edited)

As Gary (a.k.a. @gsdpic) suggested, I made an effort at giving the ice bergs a very slight tint of blue.   @Thukydides also gave me an idea with his suggestion of using inks/pigments instead of paint to color the varnish.  I did not have any pigments on hand but I've got a bunch of epoxy resin dye.  I thought it might work, so I gave it a try and was really pleased with the results.  The pic below shows a tinted berg next to an untinted berg.  It's hard to see much difference from the pic, but in real life it is more noticeable, just barely, which is what I wanted.

So big thanks to Gary and Thukydides for their suggestions.  

20240416_200803.thumb.jpg.0276a6c260c95716b90167f2aadd7445.jpg

Next, here's the dummy ship in place with all the bergs in formation, followed by the bergs going inside the bottle. 

I think the 2nd pic does a better job of showing the slight bluish tint.  

20240417_071454.thumb.jpg.a145352bb620ba641e75ba383da41f6d.jpg

20240418_074125.thumb.jpg.0ff0b808f7ebeff196c0a4f1c0d0d8ce.jpg

And here's the icy tomb complete, patiently awaiting it's sea-faring sarcophagus.

20240418_092826.thumb.jpg.d0d9ba41e242d5ecb72578323839f3c2.jpg

Sorry, @Knocklouder, no penguin or longhorn "tracks" in my pristine ice!!  😃😃

Edited by Glen McGuire

4 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

And here's the icy tomb complete, patiently awaiting it's sea-faring sarcophagus.

Still an amazing job, I always adored folks that could do SIB, I just can´t do it, my hands and wrists won´t allow it and my eyes for sure not. Way to small the stuff but I love looking at those. I have seen some really nice SIB builds, there was once a SIB of the "Gorch Fock I in rough sea" and it looked amazing. Also I have seen a SIB scene with the three Columbus ships... I loved those.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Saw the glacier outside Anchorage, Alaska and it was as Thukydides describes. Never did see the ones on Denali; always wrapped in clouds.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

21 hours ago, Thukydides said:

One thing you can experiment with next time is putting even more blue in the shadows. If you look at icebergs in real life they look bluer in the shadowed lower portions and whiter on the top.

I hear you, Thukydides.  However...

Screenshot2024-04-19081912.png.a73e7bffb0c880e3f65e87bcb2a91bce.png

The type of ice the Jenny would have trapped in would have been sea ice (sea water ice) not ice calved off glaciers (fresh water ice) which become icebergs which tend to be blueish in hue.   

Having lived in Alaska and seeing countless sea ice flows and packs it comes in colors from white to a tan tinted off white to ice covered in mud where it's washed up against the shore with the tide and gone back out again several times. 

Glen's ice color looks fine.  

8 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

The type of ice the Jenny would have trapped in would have been sea ice (sea water ice) not ice calved off glaciers (fresh water ice) which become icebergs which tend to be blueish in hue.   

I know what you mean but on the other hand we don´t know how the "ice barrier" looked like. But the colour difference in icebergs and glaciers I can´t really retrace. To me the glacier (fresh water) on Annapurna (8,091m / 26,545ft in Nepal) doesn´t look blueish at all, looks more like you described the sea water ice) and some of the antarctic sea water looks the same colour or even more blueish than some icebergs. I think the lightning situation is key here.

glacier_annapurna.jpg.4bd4ab1e233093c9c3bf6f2e3716beb3.jpg

glacier on Annapurna, Nepal

and some ice covered sea at Antarctica

antarctic_sea_ice_nasa_kurz.thumb.jpg.b9fbdffe08fec5436c84656e0e2eddc8.jpg

but an iceberg from Antarctica (South Shetland Islands) looks like this

Antarctica_Climate_Guterres_ap-2023-11-26.webp.cc93992c832e6ee4171270a95caf6b37.webp

to me the colours all look alike, the grade of pollution with detrital, pebbles and mush might be not that high in icebergs therefore the glacier of mountain ranges like the Himalayas might be "dirtier" than the Antarctic ice but does it really make a difference in the colour of "white" even if white is not a colour but a shade (physically and scientific spoken).

I think Glen`s ice looks great and not many will be able to prove the "colour" of it wrong because not many will have the funding and opportunity to travel to Antarctica ^^ (big mouth here lol) and some might not even want to go there ^^
Don´t get me wrong Keith, this is not a rant on your statement or any offense at all, I just think sometimes we should just not overthink too much about things like the colour of ice or some other colourations. I really appreciate and care about your opinion and statements, they mean a lot to me. I learned a lot of you, so please don´t get me wrong here.

I know it is a strange topic to talk about, but does the colour of the ice really matter? We have folks that are colour blind, people that can´t see colour at all (achromatopsia) or just don´t care about the shade of white. I think as model builder we need the artistic freedom and fantasy to decide what we want to express and how we express it (especially since we don´t even know for sure if Jenny even existed)...

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

I know what you mean but on the other hand we don´t know how the "ice barrier" looked like.

I know exactly what the ice barrier would have looked like had the Jenny been a real ship. Not only have I seen packed sea ice from above in a Super Cub and from the shore, I've jumped from flow to flow chasing a wounded fox.

Don´t get me wrong Keith, this is not a rant on your statement or any offense at all, I just think sometimes we should just not overthink too much about things like the colour of ice or some other colourations

Please read/reread the post preceding mine regarding the color of Glen's ice. I was merely responding to what I think is an erroneous assumption that the Jenny would have been trapped by blue colored ice, i.e. icebergs (which are a different color being composed of fresh water) than sea ice. Icebergs are by their very nature solitary creatures. 

32 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

I know exactly what the ice barrier would have looked like had the Jenny been a real ship. Not only have I seen packed sea ice from above in a Super Cub and from the shore, I've jumped from flow to flow chasing a wounded fox.

Wow, I would like to have been there, never made it that far down to the south (maybe because of the cold temperatures) and I love foxes :) and like I said, don´t take any offense please. I just assumed that not many people have been down that far to the south nor would like to go there. I´m deeply sorry if you took it as an offense, was not meant to be.

40 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Please read/reread the post preceding mine regarding the color of Glen's ice. I was merely responding to what I think is an erroneous assumption that the Jenny would have been trapped by blue colored ice, i.e. icebergs (which are a different color being composed of fresh water) than sea ice. Icebergs are by their very nature solitary creatures. 

Again, I´m sorry about that, I just stated an opinion without any intent to critisise or offend someone. I read the post and I just tried to make an opinion about the importance or not importance of the colour of ice or icebergs. I´m again, deeply sorry Keith.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

That is an interesting discussion on the true color of icebergs!  Having never been closer than 8000 miles or so to a real iceberg, I can only go by what I see in pictures found on the internet.  So I sincerely appreciate any insight or opinion on how to make my SIB more true to life.  This is especially true for colors, where I struggle with the artistic side of things.     

Personally, I believe it's hard to say there's a "true" color for any object you see outside.  So much depends on the ambient lighting, angle, reflections, etc, (not to mention the quality of the eyes looking at the object).  I can be right next to someone and argue with them about the color of a car we're both standing next to. 

It's also interesting to think about how people who look at my icebergs will judge them.  People like Keith, who have actually seen and even been on the ice will judge them against what they've seen in real life.  People like Micah (and me) have to judge them against what we've see in various pictures.  At the end of the day, as long as both types of people think, "ok, those look like icebergs", it's mission accomplished!  :cheers:              

7 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

At the end of the day, as long as both types of people think, "ok, those look like icebergs", it's mission accomplished!

That´s what I think personally... the result counts and as long as everyone recognises an iceberg... it´s fine :) :cheers:

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

But why did you put clay blobs in your bottle? :D

I was thinking though, in real life, the largest part of an iceberg is below the surface... Do you consider adding another layer of epoxy/water to submerge part of you icebergs? 

Or is too late in the build to consider that? 

Love what you did with the ship. Difficult not to overdo the ice effects, but you clearly managed to make it work. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2024 at 4:08 PM, Javelin said:

Do you consider adding another layer of epoxy/water to submerge part of you icebergs? 

Or is too late in the build to consider that? 

Hey Javelin.  It's definitely too late, but I actually did think about that earlier.  I quickly dismissed the idea because of what I saw the epoxy resin do in my 2 previous builds (as well as your sea installer project).  If you recall, as the epoxy resin cures it tends to crawl up edges that it's in contact with.  As small as my icebergs are, I was afraid the resin would crawl all the way up to the top edges of the icebergs and look terrible.  Most iceberg pictures I found had a pretty sharp distinction at the water's edge, so I wanted to match that look

On 4/20/2024 at 4:08 PM, Javelin said:

Love what you did with the ship. Difficult not to overdo the ice effects, but you clearly managed to make it work. 

Totally agree.  I started off with a just little bit of ice and frost in various places around the ship and then kept adding small bits at a time.  I finally forced myself to stop and say "good enough" to keep from going overboard.

Edited by Glen McGuire

I can’t believe I missed the start of yet another of your magnificent SIB projects Glen. Just got caught up and all I can say is WOW! Love what you’ve done so far and looking forward to the insertion of penguins. 🤣

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

looking forward to the insertion of penguins.

Grant, scratch the penguins.  

image.png.fd0d3ac8fe6a170ab156bfb27fd75f66.png

APA photo showing billionaire cattle rancher and SIB builder Glen McGuire informing a group of penguins their services would not be required in his latest project, The Jenny. 

image.png.815e3063630ffe8cddbee574ccd6165c.png

In a local news briefing UPA spokesman Flip Moore decries McGuire's pulling penguins from his latest project saying "It's a hardship, we've got penguins that have traveled halfway around the globe to get here" "Now to be told they are no longer needed. Well, it's a bait and switch scam, plain and simple" "United Penguins of Antarctic members will not tolerate these tactics from Mr McGuire, we don't care how many cattle ranches he owns"  

Mr Moore wouldn't elaborate on any pending legal action. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Grant, scratch the penguins.  

As Lee Corso would say, "NOT SO FAST, MY FREIND"  

And welcome aboard @gjdale!  Always glad to have you along for the ride!

Well, I got the Jenny inside the bottle without incident, although I did have to shave off a slight bit of ice from one spot on the bulwarks to get her to fit. As usual, I left no room for error.  After the glue was set and Jenny was firmly ensconced into her new home, I raised the masts, untangled the sails, and haphazardly tied off the ends of the running rigging I had left loose.   

And then it happened. 

I left the Jenny unattended overnight, woke up this morning, and found THIS inside the bottle.

20240420_121114.thumb.jpg.1a102fcfa0790d60653f870ea667153a.jpg   

I scoured the house to see if there were any others planning on joining the invasion, but didn't find any.  So I'm pretty sure it's just a lone renegade.  I'll leave the stopper off the bottle in case it changes its mind and wants to get out.  

Here's what the whole thing looks like now.  Still working on the final presentation.

20240420_220226.thumb.jpg.93e55fc04dace7b64c6d2ad2d82490c7.jpg20240421_113109.thumb.jpg.37f17d2b5cc12837908fd7139b13ea4f.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

16 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

I left the Jenny unattended overnight, woke up this morning, and found THIS inside the bottle.

As long as it doesn´t turn into an infestion it is cool ^^ 🤣 nice detail to be honest...

A fantastic work you have done here... I really love it. Looks good.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)

She's a beauty, Glen. For a 'it almost didn't happen' build I for one am certainly glad that it did because it ranks near the top. 

The lone penguin at that scale is very well done and a nice touch........thank you. 

Edited by Keith Black

That is possibly your best yet Glen, although you set such a high standard it’s a difficult call. Love the lone penguin too - just the right touch.

Agreed with the others on that penguin, all by itself it also immediately defines on which hemispere and pole your diorama is located, even to people that don't know the background. 

I indeed hadn't thought about the creeping of the epoxy. I really can't think of any way to stop or prevent that. The only thing I could think of is treat the edges/waterlines of objects with vaseline or something else, not-solid. Perhaps the epoxy wouldn't get hold of it that way? Not sure if they wouldn't chemically interact though.

Posted (edited)

CHOCO TACO, how did she get the job, oh I smell nepotism  lol.  Was it my drinking  ?09a88vhbww051.png.7e28948ebb73c749bed69bc76bfffbcc.png

😆 . Leave the lid off she need a buddy lol. It's Long cold nights ahead, trapped in a bottle with ghosts 

Your going to be in a magazine again lol Fantastic  , what a awesome  build. Leave the Penguins  lol.

PS   .  Penguins mate for life, if there is one there's two  LOL.  :cheers:

PSS  Much like Rats.

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati