Ferrari Dino 246gt by gsdpic - Fujimi - 1/24th scale

Inspired by @CDW's Ferrari 288 build and also by the way he immediately starts a new build after finishing the previous one, I present the start of my build log for the Fujimi Ferrari Dino 246gt.  I actually also have the 288 in my stash but did not want to be too much of a copycat so I pulled out the 246gt.

The Car: In the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, Ferrari had a sub-brand of cars named "Dino", after Enzo Ferrari's son Alfredo "Dino" Ferrari.  Initially they produced only race cars for some of the lesser racing series with smaller, less powerful cars and engines.  In the mid 1960s they displayed a concept car for a road car in the form of a mid-engined coupe.  That concept car was well received and became the Dino 206gt.  In those days the model number was derived from the engine size and type.  The 206 indicated a 2.0 liter engine with 6 cylinders.   Before long, they upgraded the engine to 2.4 liters, and so it became known as the 246gt.   In the late 60s, this car competed with the then current Porsche 911 in terms of price and specs.

The 246gt was sold from the late 60s into the early 70s, with a few minor modifications along the way.  For example, the early cars had the "clapping hands" windshield wipers while later ones have parallel wipers.   They also sold a spyder/targa version with a removable roof known as the 246gts.

The Kit:  The kit I acquired is the original version from 1986, according to scalemates.com.  This is from Fujimi's "Enthusiast Model" line of kits, so it is quite detailed, including the engine, chassis, and interior, with over 200 parts.  And they were not afraid to make small parts, some are literally pin head size.  This early kit had some very attractive box art, as you can see below.  You'll also note the "early type", indicating this is one of the early 246gt cars.  Fujimi reboxed this kit many times over the years, and in later versions they included parts for both the early and later versions of the car.  They also created a "curbside" version of this kit with far fewer parts but no engine detail.  This kit includes opening front bonnet, engine cover, and trunk cover, giving at least a little bit more of a view of the details included in the kit.

The body parts are molded in white plastic.  The engine, chassis and interior parts are all gray plastic.  There is a small fret of chrome parts, which I may or may not strip.  The wheels are a very nice satin chrome and will be left as is.

My Plans:  While I like the yellow on the box art, I am more likely to paint it red, with a tan interior.  As noted, the kit is already highly detailed but there may be a few more things I can add, such as spark plug wires.  At least one bank of three cylinders on the v6 should be visible when opening the engine cover.IMG_1665.jpg.8b368ce3143ca0aecb3740654a3a1693.jpg

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

You are going to love this kit, Gary. I built it long ago when it was offered by Testor's, and could often be found at deep discounts in big box stores such as K-Mart. I don't recall having any fit issues with it at all and it was beautiful when finished. Along with several other built models, I loaned it for display at a local hobby shop. When the owner sold the business, I lost my built models as the new owner claimed it as part of what he purchased. I do have another one in my stash. It came in two versions, one like yours and the other as a spyder with the top removed.  

Seen the  main guy  on tv   buying  restoring  and  selling the  real   versions   -  Wayne  Carini  (Chasing Classic Cars)

Looking forward  to  following this  build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 4/26/2024 at 12:18 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Seen the  main guy  on tv   buying  restoring  and  selling the  real   versions   -  Wayne  Carini  (Chasing Classic Cars)

Looking forward  to  following this  build.

OC.

I have not seen that show in quite some time.   I don't recall a Dino 246 gt episode but it certainly seems like the type of car that would appear there.

In a sort of related and funny note, I was googling for reference images and stumbled on a blog from a father/son team who had a company that specialized in restoring Dinos.  The company is now located in Spicewood, Tx, which is a small town/rural area about an hour west of here.  Just seems like a very unlikely location for a Dino restoration company.  But some of the blog entries spoke of a Dino 246 GT "barn find" in Llano, Tx which is another hour or two north west.

I've started some assembly, with the major parts of the engine.  It is a bit of an odd configuration as the engine seems to sit on top of the transmission.  The Fujimi instructions indicated all these parts should be painted silver, so I put them together and used Alclad II Aluminum.  But then looking at reference photos I see that at least in some cases the main engine block was painted black.  Oh well.  I will do some detail painting and add some darker wash and highlights to this, and then there are numerous smaller pieces, such as oil filter, distributor, fan belt, air intake, etc. to be painted and added as well.

I've also started some prep on the body.

IMG_0136.jpg.198fe962c70cfee958167e2d0ceb408e.jpg

- Gary

I have now finished the engine.  As is often the case, the exhaust was a bit of a struggle and who knows if the ends of the headers are in the right place.  I guess I'll find out later in the build.   For the "enthusiast models", Fujimi includes a stand for the engine if you wish to display it outside the car.  I used that stand for the photos but I intend to install the engine in the car.   I will likely add more hoses and such when I do that.  In the pictures you can see that I added spark plug wires.  Yea, maybe they should have been red instead of blue but that is what I had.

And yes that exhaust wraps around the front of the engine.  The engine is transverse mounted and there are additional pipes to connect to mufflers that will be to the left of the engine as viewed in the first picture.

IMG_2444.jpg.f3a2243b240ca2ff137a648f35189aca.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg.1090ea56ac4592615c340b368bc310a0.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg.a150fbf0697ef04e3b347740df7482b4.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg.83a74c5464c0b857d053f39dad58f399.jpg

I've also done more prep work on the body and various loose body panels.  I first primed the "inside" with the alclad black primer/microfiller.  That leaves a nice semi gloss black that I may not even paint over.  I taped down the body panels to protect the black; for the body I did not bother taping over the black as most of it will not be visible, and then sprayed Splash paints light grey surfacer.  I'll use Splash paints Rossa Corsa...I think I have enough left over for this car after using it on the Ferrari 330 P4 I built.

The panel that is third from the left will be tricky as it spans the interior and exterior of the car.  It is the frame around the engine compartment opening.  If I glue it in first, I think it will be difficult to get coverage of the interior parts.  But if I glue it in after painting, there will be an ugly visible seam.  I think I will have to paint the interior part (to the right in the photo) first then glue the part in and user filler on the seam, then paint the rest of the body.  I will also glue on the front underside (far right piece) before painting the body.  But even before all of that, I plan to paint the interior headliner area and then mask the entire inner part of the body before spraying the red paint.

IMG_2454.jpg.08c20e3a119af92bb2bc656a12b3c51d.jpg

- Gary

Thanks as always for taking a look and hitting the like button.

I forgot to mention when I discussed painting the body that I also have the Splash Paints "Pink Base".  So, I'll put a coat or two of that on top of the light gray primer, and then proceed with the Rossa Corsa red.  That is the same sequence I followed for the Ferrari 330P4 that I built but did not log here.

Prior to painting the outside of the body, I wanted to spray the headliner area.  And since I was doing interior colors I decided to just go ahead and build the entire interior.  For the interior, I used Vallejo Model Air beige, followed by a light mist of Tamiya "Dark Yellow" to tone down the beige a bit.  I tried to apply a bit more of the dark yellow to the carpet and headliner areas.  Then I also applied some microscale clear satin finish to the seats, doors, and back panel...basically anything that is leather instead of textiles...to try to show that difference.

I bought the Vallejo paint for some other project a while back and never used it, so this was the first time using any vallejo paint.  I liked it pretty well, though it did form a glob of partially dried paint in the built-in dropper and since I was lazy and dripped the paint directly into the airbrush, I ended up with that partially dried glob clogging the airbrush a bit, which was annoying but not not a big deal.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the assembled interior.   As usual I did not bother taking an in-process pictures.

IMG_2468.jpg.5a7620c9d0f9239f677e64d9bfe0fb93.jpgIMG_2469.jpg.690d3e33b29bdca128ff372dca073a86.jpgIMG_2470.jpg.49ae47d7d3c3f7574f0570f875a6d4e6.jpg

- Gary

I like the colors you chose for the interior, Gary. Should be a good color combination with the red body.

I like Vallejo paints except for the mess they make in my airbrush. They are more difficult to clean out of the airbrush than Tamiya or Mr. Color paints. I use a dedicated airbrush for Vallejo and similar acrylics such as Ammo-Mig paints. Where I find those two acrylics most useful are for small, brush painted items.

Classic interior colour, looks great. 

I started only recently making models and got going with Vallejo paints and now I have quite a collection, amazing how quickly they build up, although I'm sure it's not a lot compared to others who have been modelling for years. On the whole I find them easy enough to use, occasional clogging but not very often. And they are pretty reasonable cost wise. I always use about 40% paint thinner, 10% flow improved and 50% paint and use their 'Air' brand in the airbrush, I have an H&S Evolution, and then their model paints with a brush. That said I've bought Chrome for Lexan Lacquer from AMMO to try on my B25 which will be interesting to try. 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Thanks for the comments and for sharing experience with vallejo paints.   I just used the "air" brand straight out of the bottle with no thinner or flow improver.  And yes the colors are based on internet pictures of actual cars, showing the tan interior with the black dash and other accents.

Now, perhaps mostly for comedic value, is the Dino with a few coats of pink base.  I guess I could leave it like this and say it is a Barbie car.

IMG_0137.jpg.9183d08bcd09c499e139bf474e7bc2b2.jpg

- Gary

Thanks to everyone for looking in and laughing at my lame Barbie joke.  Hope I at least brought a smile to a few faces.

I've now pretty much completed the chassis as supplied by the kit with the addition of the spark plug wires.  I hope to add a few more wires and hoses around the engine based on pictures of the real thing, just to make it look a bit more realistic and a bit busier.  The one remaining part of what I'll call the chassis is a sort of shelf unit in the back.  The mufflers hang off of the underside of that shelf and then there are additional exhaust pipes to connect the headers to the muffler and then pipes out the back of the car.   The kit also has a fully detailed compartment under the front bonnet, including spare tire, and that is next.

IMG_2499.jpg.5559ced10e1d80a8be80722ece14a592.jpgIMG_2507.jpg.fd2d481e5241e8e75035e6a73cd13312.jpgIMG_2508.jpg.1ad5e8047995ea78fef42fe82d7a70d1.jpgIMG_2509.jpg.dbe9c7246951b3a3458e536066800b3a.jpg

- Gary