Where Can I get Byrnes Table Saw Blades and Replacement Parts?

Go to solution Solved by RichardG,

I am trying to order a new carbide blade for my Byrnes table saw. The website apparently no long accepts any orders. Does anyone know where I can find the blade? Thurston no long exists, so I've tried Malco, but I can't figure out if they sell such a blade and, if they do, which blade to order. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is there anywhere I can buy replacement screws for the saw? I am particularly interested in the screws that fit the zero clearance insert.

Thanks!!

Run a search for "slitting blades"  Those blades have no offset.   I get a ton of hits so some sorting is needed... for example some only sell in quantity and sometimes it's a rather large quantity.   I'm finally down to just a couple from Thurstan and need to restock myself.    Last time I checked, Malco was one of those "quantity only" sales.  

'

Also, have you done a search here in this sub-forum for saw blades?   There might be some recent posts that could help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Go back to the Byrnes site.  Click on the Tablesaw in the "Our Products" dropdown. 

The saw itself is no longer available - but the blades and screws are.

If you do not have an arbor adapter for blades with a 1" arbor - get at least one.

If you get an adapter 0.787"  (20mm)  a Diablo 4-3/8" x 36 Tooth Finish Saw Blade - D0436X  - carbide  ( kerf is 0.05" though)   will fit. Peachtree has it for $15.00

Harbor Freight has : WARRIOR 4 in., 24T Mini Table Circular Saw Blade  1/2" arbor  is on clearance for $3.00   which probably means that it will not be available for much longer.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• Solution
On 5/17/2024 at 3:46 PM, anaxamander49 said:

Also, is there anywhere I can buy replacement screws for the saw? I am particularly interested in the screws that fit the zero clearance insert.

Although I would definitely recommend buying the Accessory Pack (or 2) from Byrnes, the insert screws are #2-56 1/4" and available from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RC5LJC).

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Working from a fixed inventory, I am not surprised that Donna may have depleted Model Machines inventory.  You may wish to try email and see what is left that you want by contacting Donna. 

Malco  seems to offer single blade purchase on these pages:

https://www.malcosaw.com/product-category/high-speed-steel-saws/jeweler-s-slotting-saws/?4860_attr_pa_diameter[0]=167&4860_attr_pa_diameter[1]=139&4860_attr_pa_hole[0]=144&4860_filtered=true&4860_paged=2

https://www.malcosaw.com/product-category/high-speed-steel-saws/plain-metal-slitting-saws/?4860_attr_pa_diameter[0]=167&4860_attr_pa_diameter[1]=169&4860_attr_pa_diameter[2]=139&4860_filtered=true

https://www.malcosaw.com/product-category/high-speed-steel-saws/cutting-saws/?4860_attr_pa_diameter[0]=167&4860_attr_pa_diameter[1]=139&4860_attr_pa_hole[0]=144&4860_filtered=true

Martindale may be a possibility -they seem to want to talk first-   but you will need a 1" to 1/2" arbor adapter bushing.  Even way back when it was Jarmac and Dremel as 4" table saw and ordering was snail mail and checks - their blades were 1" arbor.

https://martindaleco.com/?s=&stype=p&wccaf_od=4.0000&wccaf_id=1.0000&wccaf_thickness=&wccaf_teeth=&wccaf_hub=No&wccaf_material[]=HSS&wccaf_material_data=HSS

I did a Google search and found Temu.com   and found low cost - no bets on the quality - 4"  but their arbors are 20mm  - I got that adapter bushing for the Diablo so I can do a trial - the prices are low enough to be worth the gamble.  $16.00 for four different blades to sample.

The HSS blades with lots of teeth, thin kerf, have small gullets and no set to the teeth.  Not a good tool for resawing stock of significant thickness. The carbides have "ouch" kerf thickness.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

5 hours ago, anaxamander49 said:

As an FYI, I previously did what Jaager suggests. Everything was fine until I attempted to pay (with PayPal). When I clicked "order" I received a "This page isn't working" error. I did this several times with the same result.

Me too.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

3 hours ago, Jaager said:

Malco  seems to offer single blade purchase on these pages:

When I ordered from Malco in the past, they required a $100 minimum order.  I like their blades.  $100 buys several..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thank you all for you help. This is very good information.

From where I sit, the future is not very bright for the Byrnes saw. Eventually, the community will benefit if some knowledgeable (and this certainly leaves me out) person or group compiles and posts a list of the sizes of all the available replacement screws, belts and other parts, and where they can be purchased. I would not be surprised if I am one of the few people asking these sorts of questions now, but I suspect there will be more in the future. 

On 5/19/2024 at 11:12 AM, anaxamander49 said:

As an FYI, I previously did what Jaager suggests. Everything was fine until I attempted to pay (with PayPal). When I clicked "order" I received a "This page isn't working" error. I did this several times with the same result.

I was able to place an order this afternoon for a couple of accessories.

Richard