Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

I mentioned LED lighting.........this is something totally new to me.   I mean.....I've messed with Christmas lighting and all that........but lighting like this..........well.........    A friend of mine in Canada sent me a flasher unit a while ago....he dabbled quite a bit with trains,  and he thought I might find a use for it.  

post-612-0-00309800-1385760015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39684900-1385760027_thumb.jpg

it comes complete with an on / off switch.......and I believe the other one switches from flash to steady lighting.   looking at the size of the wiring,  I had a thought.  the admiral and I used to make cat 5 cables for a woman who used to be our landlord.   for those who aren't into computers and communication,  these are internet cables.   we used to make {and test.....ugh} about 1,200 a day.

post-612-0-54332400-1385760596_thumb.jpg

we have a bunch of these on hand.   I took one of the shorter ones,  and stripped out the wires.   I forget what gauge they are....but they are the same size as the flasher

post-612-0-20523100-1385760765_thumb.jpg

when I was done,  I had four sets......all color coded,  quite easy to map out the positive and negative.

I don't recall if this is solid core or strand wire....I'd have to strip some out to see.  I don't believe it will matter though.   I had mentioned about doing the LED thing.......my {our} good friend Mobbsie offered me some that he had,  if I could use them........I can't thank you enough!   I'll watch the mailbox,I owe you one!  ;)   this will let you know that my gears are turning over here as well,   I'm on the look - out!

post-612-0-27710200-1385761427_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I also got a bit of a start on the hull frame that I dubbed Curly.   it's not much,  but things are moving along.   these are full length planking strips,  primarily to stabilize the entire frame.   I wanted to do all of the bulwarks with this 1.8 x 8 x 720mm planking.......I took a count......I figure four per side.   that equates to 24 strips......I won't have enough.  so one per side will have to be done with the 1.8 x 8 x 550mm strips that I have on hand.   as long as I have a full strip along the scupper line,  It'll be alright.   the reason why I'm concerned with this,  is because I don't want the scuppers to be near a butt joint.  I did a twist test with the frame I dubbed Moe,  and with two rows of planking,  it seems pretty sturdy.  :)  so, here is the progress I've done on this one.

post-612-0-45706600-1385762699_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-20526100-1385762709_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-85817300-1385762715_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-72155600-1385762726_thumb.jpg

ok.........now I go to bring the  Christmas stuff up from down in the cellar.  who knows what I'll find....last year's fruitcake......maybe  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I'll go get the WD 40 John.........I thought it was mice! :D :D :D

no.....not eight boxes Sjors........only four {for now}  ;)   thanks for the good word

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks gentlemen.......so far.......A.....O.K.  ;)  {I just wish it was moving a bit faster} :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Blinking lights, no less.  Sounds like a merry ol' time you'll be having.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

hey Bob.......just something I want to try......besides,  I mentioned it to the admiral,  and she loves the idea.   it will make the scavenger hunt that much more interesting  ;)    thanks for looking in...wish I had a big update for ya,  but I'm back at work for another three days....that is, unless I take Monday off :)   might just do it........last Sunday,  the transmission crapped out on the SUV......so,  until it is fixed,  my son and I are sharing one car......his hours are so crazy,  he's bringing me to work,  and I have to find a way home.  it sucks!

thank you to all who've hit the like button........glad you like it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I almost forgot..........last evening,  I got to see the movie about the Andria Gail again.   I started to think of the boulogne hull.....you know,  with a few modifications,  this hull could be altered to look like her........just a thought  :)

{that's usually what gets me into these messes if the first place}  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did more to the hull I dubbed Curly......installing the second row planking for the bulwark.

post-612-0-19726000-1386081940_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-93975700-1386081951_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-84033600-1386081961_thumb.jpg

the hull I dubbed Larry has had it's share of problems.   I needed to pick up the pace on 'em and start the planking process.   it all started out so well.........I got the bulwark post sanded enough to accept the planking {I'll get to the rest later}.  the port side was almost set in place,  when I heard the snap......the bow post had broken off.   well........no time to stop now!   I propped up the broken post,  and did the starboard side......I'll fix it later!

post-612-0-54402200-1386082441_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10471300-1386082451_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-82008900-1386082459_thumb.jpg

it's funny........the one I was so worried about.......was no trouble at all  ;)   well,  this has all been fun and games..........and languishing on this project has been fun........but this isn't getting anything done on my other builds.  so,  I will go and get into something a little more entertaining........in the meantime, I will fix my problems and go further with this project a bit later.........I'll update when I hit some kind of milestone....or something.   I moved them to the other table.......to save space,  I found a neat way to store the other two.

post-612-0-86570700-1386082482_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks good Popeye.....looks like the triplets are moving right along.....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

thanks John.......yea,  they're moving along.    if I can just get through this step,  I might be able to move a bit faster  ;)

thanks for the likes gentlemen!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well Dave....the lucky recipient of the flasher will have blinking lights.....hopefully I can find colored lights.  I hope to light the decks and hopefully the pilot house,  and other structures I may have on deck.   if you have any pointers.......I'd love to hear them......I've never done this before.  I haven't had the chance to look at some of the builds that are doing it......but I will be when I have the planking under control.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am using fiber optic to transmit the light from a single high output LED source with a 3000K white output ('warm white'). The small low current LED's you are using should not put out much heat but do test them by leaving them on and touching. On wood models it is not as important as plastic. If a 'lamp light' effect is needed you should look for the 3000K low current LED's from an online supplier. They are usually very affordable. You can also carefully reshape the LED by filing down the LED case. You can not go all the way to the anode/cathode assembly inside but they might be made a little smaller and more useful with reshaping.

Your project is getting more interesting at every turn... :)

very good info to keep in mind.......thank you very much.   feel free to make suggestions........I could use the help.....thanks again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Say, just noticed we have a new Rear Admiral here on MSW.  As one of the most prolific builders and participants here, it's well deserved.

CONGRATS, Popeye :cheers: 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

well Dave....the lucky recipient of the flasher will have blinking lights.....hopefully I can find colored lights.  I hope to light the decks and hopefully the pilot house,  and other structures I may have on deck.   if you have any pointers.......I'd love to hear them......I've never done this before.  I haven't had the chance to look at some of the builds that are doing it......but I will be when I have the planking under control.

Ah, steping farther into thr dark side.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Oh my, we have Popeye leading the 3 stooges.....I think the Marks Bros would approve.  Congrats to a multi tasker multi ship builder.....I'm looking forward to seeing how the brothers 3 are coming along..... 

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

The trio get more interesting all the time - and each one already has a personality based on challenges so far! Congrats (or condolences) on joining the big boy table with Sjors and Augie!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

well.....thank you all for the congrats.........I hope I can continue to keep you all entertained.   but,  don't get too comfy with the boys,  I hope to be able to change all that soon enough ;)    I haven't done too much with them since the other day........but if I continue to have trouble with the Larry frame........you'll be looking at Abbot & Costello,  and the Larry frame  WILL go on to become the Andria Gail :D :D :D

.......I'm beginning to like that Idea {since I saw the movie} :D :D       nawwww..........just a small problem.......nothing that can't be fixed

once I get the hulls planked......I can get a handle on the deck layouts........and all will become clearer.   I'll be on the  'light' side for a bit for now........I'm going to try doing some bouncy stuff........thank you all for the good word and the well wishes

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congrats, Rear Admiral Popeye.   What color LED's will you use?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

With a name like Holiday Harbor I'm sure we can expect something rivaling Rockefeller Center !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

With a name like Holiday Harbor I'm sure we can expect something rivaling Rockefeller Center !

Hmm.... wasn't that (Holiday Harbor) the name of a Bing Crosby movie?   I'm headed to Google...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Better check Holiday Inn.  You kids drive me nuts.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I think there was  "Holiday in Vermont"  and  "Holiday in Connecticut "..........."Holiday Harbor"......Hmmmmmmm,  sounds like a good movie for John Wayne,  but there's no 15 mm guns and no horses......so he would be standing there,  bowlegged in the snow :D :D :D

I would like to see multi colored lights Mark.......I haven't gone scavenger hunting yet.   I still need to come up with a wiring diagram for them,  probably two of them will be lit.   with the flasher,  I'm not sure how many lights it can handle........still not sure if it works,  but I'm sure Dan wouldn't have sent it to me,  if it didn't.   a lot of this is still in the planning stage.......I'm one of those eccentric builders.....hardly even write anything down.   the broken bow post.......{a small update}.......I cemented in the second plank and clamped it to the first one.  the second one rests on the bow rib,  so it's pulling the first one out to the bulwark shape.   I'll cement in a piece later.   thanks for the good words gentlemen.......I hope to have some sort of an update soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I went ahead and finished the second row of planking on the frame dubbed Larry.  where to broken post is,  the second plank sits on the rib,  so I just clamped it to the first row in that area......it follows the shape just fine......I'll fix it later.

post-612-0-56200100-1386361322_thumb.jpg

these aren't all the pictures.......just enough so you can see how this looks.

post-612-0-19401600-1386361370_thumb.jpg

now they all are at the same point of progress......except that I sanded down the plank nubs at Larry's stern....the others I haven't touched yet.

post-612-0-32557500-1386361492_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-55784200-1386361580_thumb.jpg

since I had this frame on the slip,   I went a bit further and did the third and fourth row of planking on the starboard side.  you can't see it,  but there is a butt joint in the third row

post-612-0-52471400-1386361742_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: