USS Pennsylvania 1837 by Mike 41 - Scale: 1:64 - Cross-Section

This is the model in the stand and a couple of shots with the Bomb Vessel for size comparison. The Pennsylvania is 1: 64 and the Bomb Vessel is 1:24 scale.

post-950-0-64265700-1385560050_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-72934400-1385560057_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-12339000-1385560066_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-65316300-1385560079_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-66664600-1385560090_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done Mike. I'd be interested in a little further explanation of your method of making the deadeyes, if you wouldn't mind.

Mike it is very interesting seeing both of these model side by side, if they were the same scale the Pennsylvania would be almost three times the size of the Bomb vessel.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Mike!

Only looking the stairs cause me vertigo... I can not imagine the sailors climbing from the boat to the ship in the good old days. How tall is she from the water line to the top rail in feet?

I am thinking about making a cross section of a 74 and I have another question, How long has taken to you to build it till this stage? I will not rigging her. Provably will be a spanish ship from mid´s XVIII.

Excellent work!

daniel.

Hi Grant,

The method I use to make deadeyes is very simple.

1. I cut a turning square 1/16” larger than the diameter of the deadeye and turn a dowel to the desired diameter.
  2. Insert the dowel into the lathe leaving about 1” projection from the face of the chuck.
  3. Mark the dowel into segments 1.25 times the finished thickness of the round.
  4. Use a small veining chisel to cut the groove for the strop ring in the center of the round.
  5. Finish the outside face with a small file and sandpaper.
  6. Use a razor saw to separate the round from the dowel.
  7. Finish the face of the next round and repeat steps 4 and 6 until the required number is reached plus a few extra for the floor gremlins.
  8. I use a rotary vise in a compound table on Proxxon drill press to drill the three holes.
  9. Use a small file and sandpaper the finish the back of the deadeye.

Most of the woods I use for deadeyes do not require any finish.

Mike

Hi Daniel,

It is 27 feet from the waterline to the spar deck. I don’t know why they did not have a side entre at the main deck but the drawing by Howard Chapelle did not show one.

The drawing was started in June and I started the keel and frames as soon as they were done. It has taken six months to reach this stage of the build. I intend to build a case and small table to display her on and will post photos of that here.

There is a web you may be interested in located in Barcelona http://www.aammb.cat/ it has some interesting books on Spanish ships.

Mike

Thanks for that explanation Mike. I was curious as to whether there was a "mass production" technique involved at all - it would seem not, although it does produce some very nice results. I will certainly give this a try when the time comes.

I don't know anything about American ships of the line but doesn't the topmast normally connect in front of the lower mast? why is it connected behind the lower mast on the Pennsylvania? or is the pole i'm seeing some sort of flagstaff? if so disregard my first two questions.

thanks.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

The hammock cranes and shrouds were added next. The cranes are made from two pieces of rosewood glued perpendicular to each other for strength and attached to the rail with a brass pin.

post-950-0-24490700-1386539460_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-83158800-1386539466_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-54981200-1386539516_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-02587100-1386539541_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-76057400-1386539546_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-99722100-1386539555_thumb.jpg