HMS Bounty by Navis Factorem - FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

Thanks for your thoughts Alistair. We are in a relatively safe part of Sydney, about 8 km north of the city centre. If we are threatened then the city is in serious trouble.

The smoke blowing over us was really aweful, horrible brown grey, pale yellow/red sun disc trying to penetrate and black soot and dead embers falling out of the sky, and we are 60 km to the east of the fires themselves. My thoughts really go out to those poor souls who are in the middle of it and particularly to those who have lost everything.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-65580400-1382160836_thumb.jpg

Looking to the west from near our home.

4 pm semi darkness.

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Hi David,

I rememberyour log from the old site thankyou for reposting it here. :D Conratulations on a superb build you should be really proud of her :D  :D :D  

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi David,

Beautiful build.  Look forward to your next one.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Beautiful work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 months later...

The bits and pieces for the start of the next build are starting to come together. Scratch built HMS Surprise it will be.

For Christmas I received the HMS Surprise book by Brian Lavery illustrated by Geoff Hunt which includes hull profiles for the main hull and all ship's boats as well as many detail drawings.

I recently bought a scroll saw to cut hull profiles for the false keel and bulkheads for the hull core.

Next will be a difficult decision, what scale? The Bounty is 1:60 which is a good scale for me, big enough to achieve a reasonable level of detail but not a too big finished product. Surprise is bigger ship than Bounty but not hugely so and it would be nice to have the 2 the same scale.

The other option is 1:72 for Surprise which may make sourcing bits and pieces easier but I'm not sure if there is much difference in availability of things like carronade barrels which I don't think I can make myself.

Any thoughts that any of you out there in MSW land may have on these things would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and happy new year to all,

David.

Hi David

I think 1:64 will land you the most parts. This is the scale of many Amati and Caldercraft kits so spare parts and upgrades are abundant. RB Models and Syren do plenty of cannon barrels that adapt to this scale too. You could probably getaway with 1:60 with some of those parts as well. I don't know of many wooden kits at 1:72 (a lack of knowledge as opposed to any research!!) though it is, of course, a very common scale for many other things.

My two cents.

Cheers

Alistair

and Happy New Year!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

looking forward towards your next build log........Happy New Year!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Finally added some pics to the finished model gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

Navis Factorem - just come across your build or should I say rediscovered your build as I remember this from the old site - very impressive. It has inspired me to make this for my next build although you did a lot of improvements to the original kit especially the ship's two boats. Thank you for showing your work.

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments Doug, I hope you enjoy building the Bounty as much as I did.

Final post for my Bounty build, I have collected the acrylic case, made up the big base, and the name plate and very carefully slipped the case on. I had a 290mm piece of shelving that I used for the base so the clearance inside the 4.5mm thick acrylic is 281mm. The main yard stunsail booms are 275mm to the ends. A VERY neat fit and the booms clear the case on both sides.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-95165400-1394091088_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-74226100-1394091093_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-99204000-1394091096_thumb.jpg

The case looks good and it looks like a nice place you have chosen to put your Bounty. I am at the moment trying to sort a case - they all appear to be very expensive and you have made me think more about acrylic. It all looks very nice - you must be proud. Thanks for sharing your built , David

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

• 5 months later...

g'day david your bounty turned out superbly and is a real credit to you. i see you're from australia, so am i. may i ask where you got your perspex case form and how much was it. i have two builds to house but the cases i've seen all cost more than the model. also did you assemble it or  did it come assembled. tks chris

• 1 year later...

Hello David..

I hope that you received my personal message and have the time for an answer to it.  I love your Bounty and hope mine will look half as good as yours.

Many thanks,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Well, David..

I guess you didn't get my personal message or haven't had the time to answer it.  But no problem, I figured the issue out.  I hope you are having a nice day and good luck to you with whatever you're up to.

Best,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...