Before I spend the money.

Ganymede

Greetings,

I'm a few days away from buying my first kit. I had opted for the 'Nelson's Navy Schooner Ballahoo.

It's cheap enough that making a complete mess of it will not be too disastrous and it's small, an important consideration.

However, I've looked everywhere I can think of in these forums and I can't find any reference to it at all. No letters or build logs.

That has got me wondering. Am I doing the right thing? Why has this kit received so little attention. Is it because it is new or the kit is flawed or lacking in some respect?

I can accept that I will, through lack of skill, make mistakes but I would not like to think my mistakes were due to some thing over which I had no control. Can I have some advice please before I spend the Christmas pension money?

Patrick Malone.

Hi Patrick

As a first build I suggest this is ideal as all the skills needed are the same as for more complicated builds but at a cost you can afford. I brought the HM Mortar Convulsion because on MSW1 before the crash there were two fantastic build logs now sadly gone and with them my reference material so I am doing the best I can. I do not know but I suspect this is also why you cannot find a build log but if you look at other small Nelson Navy ship build logs you will glean more than enough information to help with your build which is what I do.

Create your own build log then it will be available for future newcomers to see. If I could use a camera and take shots in focus I would post pictures as there are none of the Convulsion.

Best wishes

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

If your ultimate goal is building a kit everyone else is doing......

When I started my Prins Willem-log (long, long ago) I couldn't find any other. Now there are many.

Shouldn't I have started long ago, did others notice PW becuase of my log? I don't know.

My idea is that you should buy a kit that is in line with your possibilities (although: skills will improve along the road, so you can try slightly above your level)

But a victory as your first is perhaps a bit too far (although: many logs around)

First of all you should buy a ship you are happy with, and would like to invest time and money in.

I don't know this particular ship, but my impression is that kit-makers put nameless ships on the market, provided with a fake history (Friesland by Mamoli is a nice example: the ship never existed, but the story sounds great).

Perhaps your kit is in the same category. Is that a problem? That fully depends on you. You still may like the ship as it is (even without the Nelson-connection. Perhaps the ship has a proper nelson-connection. Does that make the ship or the kit nices? That again depends on you....

The only thing you want to be sure of, is the technical quality of the kit. IN case there is a problem there, you may reconsider....

Jan

Hi Patrick, that looks like a great kit to start out with.  

Don't know much about Jokita kits.  Over here in the US the most popular and easiest to find kits are Midwest Products, Model Shipways, and Latina I have noticed.  So, that is why none of the Americans on this site probably have not built the kit.  

If I am correct, Calderdraft and Jokita are UK based? I checked them out and the HMS Mars and the HM Supply look cool, maybe I will have to get one!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Patrick,

It might just be that many modellers don't think she looks interesting enough, although she would seem to be on a par with their other smaller kits. That shouldn't put you off however, and if you want to have a go at it, why not? Perhaps you can be the first on MSW with a build log, and perhaps start a trend? After all, the Sherbourne now has a dedicated following. :rolleyes:      

If you have look at Jotika's website you'll see that there are couple of favourable reviews from people who have built it, along with a few pics.

Don't get too hung up on the phrase 'Nelson's Navy'. It's a catch-all expression which is designed to appeal to prospective purchasers, etc. Nelson probably never saw some of the ships themselves. I am a member of a dedicated Nelson website, where one of the other members is heartily sick of the term!

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Patrick, I know of one builder on this site who is shortly to begin a Ballahoo build, I myself considered her too before picking up a Sherbourne and a Convulsion, I'll be starting a build log for in the New Year for Sherbourne (Kester 'Stockholm Tar, previous post above, convinced me to begin with her from our conversation in a different log :) )

Ballahoo is a nice wee boat, and you'll have no end of help on here should you get yourself a little stuck or have questions, and also no end of encouragement to see you to the builds end too.

Pick up the little schooner and before you know it you'll have started your own little group Ballahoo Builders.

Best of Luck

Eamonn

In fact when you do begin the Build Log could you mention it here, that way we will know to drop in and Follow you along :)

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Greetings gentlefolk,

Thank you all for the replies. I sense that from your comments that this is a safe bet for a beginner, and that is reassuring.

Well in for a penny etc.

I suppose my next task will be to see if I can manage to set up a build log. I'm not the brightest light in the chandelier when dealing with PCs. Mr Default, that's me.

I've started a log book of sorts with notes taken from the many build logs and forum entries covering techniques, tips, tools hazards and such. I shall be referring to them as I progress.

All being well I will be starting after the holiday providing my model shop can get the kit for me.

As the saying goes 'watch this space'

Patrick M

Patrick,

I do not know about the model, but Wikipedia does list a history and description of an HMS Ballahoo. 

Walter Biles

We will be looking forward to it Patrick.

Have a great Christmas & New Year, and hopefully there will be a Ballahoo Log in our near future. :)

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

There used to be at least two Ballahoo builds on MSW 1.0 (i.e. before the Great Crash) but their logs disappeared with it and have not been replaced. I had thought either vulcanbomber or bangle was one of the ones who did the build, but a quick search on their names now suggests that my memory is haywire as there is no reference to Ballahoo under their names. I also searched the Internet Archive of MSW 1.0 but there was only one page available for Balahoo under the name cornishxxx (who doesn't seem to be on this rebuilt forum -- so this is by way of saying it looks as though you can't ask an original builder to repost their logs!

I think the choice is whether you want to have guidance on your build for the particularities of your kit or whether you are happy to go for general advice. If you like the Ballahoo then you'll get lots of support anyway as you come across problems (most problems with builds are not really specific to a model).

If you want the security of seeing how others have built a model, there are one-masted models such as the Chatham, Lady Nelson and Sherbourne which probably are similar in construction and in the same price range (although on this forum there are now no Chathams being built). Others have gone for the Bounty Jolly Boat as a nice first build.

Either way, as has been said, you will pick it up fairly quickly with lots of support from people who will be looking out for you. This is a particularly friendly forum from that point of view -- many of the most experienced modellers on this site have often stated that they too at one time have been through the same issues with a first build and are only too eager to help others. The moderators keep a sharp eye out for new builds so that they can do just that.

Tony

Greetings,

It's very reassuring to receive so much help and encouragement from you all.

It raises my confidence after I've trawled through the build logs and seen the exquisite workmanship displayed. I fear my efforts will fall a long way short but one can only do ones best.

Patrick,

Your last bit states it all:   One can only do one's best.   One of the things this site is all about is to help you do your best along with learning new skills and increasing your enjoyment of this hobby.  And don't forget to have fun since if it isn't fun, it isn't a hobby.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Patrick,

You're more than welcome, and I'm sure we'll all help out where we can. I'm sure you'll have many questions along the way, but on MSW, any solution to a problem is usually but a question away. Be prepared though to get inundated with replies! Don't worry either about not knowing much now, we were all novices once (and we're still learning) – and even the expert scratch builders had to begin somewhere.  

By the way, I've just noticed your address. Small world, as I know Poole well – or I did, before I moved to Sweden 20 years ago. I worked in the Maritime Museum, later the Waterfront, and lived in Parkstone. Perhaps our paths crossed, without our knowing it!

Look forward to you beginning your build log, and our first, er, – 'ballahooligan'! :D

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Stockholm tar, greetings,

I live in Canford Heath so not so far from your old stamping grounds. Moved here in 1996 after retiring.

The maritime museum had a facelift a few years ago looks quite modern now.

Looking forward to starting the build but there is a delay at the shop who are daily expecting an order to arrive.

Not wasting my time though, doing a lot of reading on various topics. Giving me much food for thought.

These small Caldercraft kits present wonderful opportunities for super-detailing, if that is something that interests you.  All of these kits, which by the way were designed by Chris Watton who frequents the forum regularly, will build into very nice models straight out of the box.  But, since they were designed with beginners in mind, they are somewhat simplified.  Caldercraft's Sherbourne kit is one such model that has been souped up by some of our members; as one example, check out this build by dubz, who has a knack for this sort of thing.  Another angle to consider, though this might not be all that appealing to an English builder, is that Ballahoo was captured by the Americans during the War of 1812, and although there is little documentation of her after that event, it would be interesting to see a model of her done up in hypothetical American livery.  No matter which build route you decide to go, have fun with this kit and rest secure knowing it is a quality model and well-suited for a novice builder.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Greetings Chris,

thanks for the info.

I spoke with my retailer this afternoon and the news is that he doesn't think that my kit will be delivered until the New Year. Bit of a nuisance but there we are. Every one says patience is a virtue so I am learning some-thing already. On a more cheerful note my Dremel arrived this afternoon. I think it will be a useful addition to my toolkit, eventually. As to finishing the Ballahoo in an American livery well I'm not averse to that though I don't know what colours that would be. I'll have to ask a bit nearer the time. And where would I get all the pretty spangly Stars?(ha ha!) Thirteen wasn't it?

Off topic my next door neighbours moved to Galt a couple of years ago, they seem to like it.

Patrick M.

And where would I get all the pretty spangly Stars?(ha ha!) Thirteen wasn't it?

Patrick M.

Actually, it would be 15 stars at that time - and 15 stripes! 

Would be interesting to see this one adapted - welcome, and HAVE FUN!!!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Patrick,

As 'egkb' mentioned earlier, I will be receiving a 'Ballahoo' kit for Christmas and will be starting a build log alongside my Snake. It will be my second build so I will be using it as a test bed for improving the skills I learned on my first build and hopefully trying out some new ones.

It looks like a nice simple kit for a beginner and it is always nice to have someone building 'alongside'....!

See you in the build section soon.

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Off topic my next door neighbours moved to Galt a couple of years ago, they seem to like it.

If you are speaking of Galt, California, then I can't say that I envy them too much, since I have lived in the mountains most of my life and lovingly refer to residents of the Sacramento - San Joaquin valley as 'flatlanders'. ;)   (My parents grew up in Stockton, just a few miles south of there, and I still have many relatives in the area.) 

As for 'American livery', common practice for that time seems to have been a black hull (with possibly white across the gun ports) and green inner bulwarks, maybe coppering below the waterline.  This would all be conjectural, since if I remember my reading correctly, she wasn't actually taken into service.  The kit will also not have any sail material in it, but it would not be difficult to make up a set and rig them for Ballahoo, as she had a very simple rig.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Veel geluk en plezier, Patrick.

As many now have mentioned, you are in good company here on this forum and, although there may not be any who are doing the same model,  the advice on several details should be helpful to you.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

A bit of extra info for you Patrick, as I have done a little digging into the Ballahoo.

There were several craft that were built as Ballahoo or Fish class. The National Maritime Museum has some information on one of these, the HMS Haddock. I will probably be building my Ballahoo kit as the Haddock.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I dont think you can go wronng with a Caldercraft kit as a first model, the Convulsion was my first build and a pleaseure to build here, it might be that my old build is one that Monach/Glyn refers to in his post. I still have the pictures somewhere if you need them.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.