Oseberg ship by Von_Kossa - Billing Boats - Scale 1:25, 800 A.D (First wooden ship build)

Loved your work so far. She´s a trully great ship. The scale makes the difference too and you´ve inspired me to do this one. I´ll be following your progress.

Von,

Beautiful !!!  thank you for re-posting your ship. Such an interesting subject. As you know very few examples of Viking ships are chosen as build projects. Your attention to small details are so nice to look at. Your planking is superb. This ship, along with the much much younger Vasa are open doors into past cultures, and human history. I will enjoy following along as well. 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to ask a dumb question, but my Billings Boat instructions show the deck made from long strips.  The width of each plank is about the same as yours; but the length is much longer.  The instructions show one strip goes just over halfway and then a second one goes to the other end.  Personally, I think your deck looks fantastic and I am considering doing the same thing (although I can't believe it will look as good as yours).   What made you decide to do the deck like this?

Hi Zeus-cat,

I am so inspired by this build that I started one myself.  It is a wealth of information.  I like this deck plan better than the one in the instructions too.  I plan to do something similar on mine.

Hello Von_Kossa,

Thank you for rebuilding your log.  It has been a great help.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

I hate to ask a dumb question, but my Billings Boat instructions show the deck made from long strips.  The width of each plank is about the same as yours; but the length is much longer.  The instructions show one strip goes just over halfway and then a second one goes to the other end.  Personally, I think your deck looks fantastic and I am considering doing the same thing (although I can't believe it will look as good as yours).   What made you decide to do the deck like this?

In the instructions as you have noted they just lay out long strokes of strips across the ship, it´s called cheating. :)

The width of the strips is exactly like mine, 12 mm, i just cut them in smaller parts. I want the ship to be closer the real ship, therefore i built up the inside of it as close as i could to the original.

As you will notice Billing Boat have also cheated with the amount of bulk heads, so if you want to lay the deck as i have you will need to construct a large amount of bulkheads from scratch to get the correct length of the deck strips between the bulk heads.

Sorry for my bad english.

Good luck.

Edited by Von_Kossa

If Billing Boats cannot help let me know.  I am not planning to use the Obechi deck planking on my model.   I am cutting oak planks so I can send the whole bundle to you.  It is a long way from Texas so it might take a week or two.  If you need it let me know and I will ship right away.  

Your planking looks great.

Jack

If Billing Boats cannot help let me know.  I am not planning to use the Obechi deck planking on my model.   I am cutting oak planks so I can send the whole bundle to you.  It is a long way from Texas so it might take a week or two.  If you need it let me know and I will ship right away.  

Your planking looks great.

Hi!

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this. I have actually been in touch with Billing Boats and their suppliers, apparently the head owner of BB is sick in cancer and has recently been operated and if i understand it correctly it is only two other people working with the company because of this, his son and someone else. Because of this tragic situation the company is not working. The suppliers here in Sweden have not heard from them in three weeks. :(

Therefore like earlier mentioned i would be very happy if you could help me with this.

The bundle i need is as you already know:

No. 53, Dimensions: 1,8x12x610mm, Material: Obechi, Description: Deckstrips

As you know i cut them in smaller pieces so you do not need to send them as 610mm, you can cut them in half.

I have 17 pieces.  Please send me a private message with your shipping address and I will send them right away.

Jack

The Obechi is on the way.  I cut the bundle in half and put it in a small mailing tube.  I will ship it in one hour.

post-9182-0-17656300-1394128378_thumb.jpg

Jack

Your package is on the way.  I picked up a red oak plank and have started cutting it into deck planking.  I am still a long way from needing it.  Your deck is looking great.  The mast fish is beautiful, definitely worth all the work that you put into it.

post-9182-0-96119800-1394247565_thumb.jpg

Jack

Your package is on the way.  I picked up a red oak plank and have started cutting it into deck planking.  I am still a long way from needing it.  Your deck is looking great.  The mast fish is beautiful, definitely worth all the work that you put into it.

attachicon.gifOseberg -03-07-2014 90.jpg

Thank you, nice looking oak plank you have there, will be very interesting to see your future deck.

This picture is from a museum in Stockholm showing an interpretation of the Oseberg ship. I have made some very nice looking arrows pointing at two metal pieces holding the thingies (?) on the left and right of the mast fish in place. As you can see on the other picture from Oslo showing the real ship, the metal pieces is also present on the original.

I have tried to find some apropriate material to use for this on my own model, i have searched everywhere and i am starting to loose hope for finding anything usable. It has to be some metal which is so thin that you can easily shape it to fit.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what i should be looking for?

post-1001-0-73693000-1394398181_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-34397500-1394398191_thumb.jpg

I think tin would work. I´ve been using it - u´ll have just to blacken it.