Oseberg ship by Von_Kossa - Billing Boats - Scale 1:25, 800 A.D (First wooden ship build)

Well, u can blacken it with some painting - I don´t know chemical methods to do it, but acids usualy blacken tin. I´m using in thread, for soldering - as tin is very flexible, u can flat it to a foil and cut it. U can also melt it, as it´s melting point is low and easily done. I´ve found tin in bars, too, for soldering and craftwork. My point is that it´s an easy metal to work and you can bend it all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the mast fish reconstruction. I am still trying to replicate the historical museums reconstruction of the mast fish and surrounding areas, i´m beginning  to doubt the sanity in this approach. It do look a little bit weird... The "bump" looks too high, it was probably smaller on the original, also the shape of the wings holding the bump deck parts was negative on the original. But on the models in the historical museum and sea historical museum in sweden the wings was positive. I followed this approach because i could not envision it in my head how i would fit the deck parts... I assume the model builders had the same problem...

I would appreciate feedback on this.

post-1001-0-69908300-1395237273_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-46059700-1395237278_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-15872500-1395237283_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-71750800-1395237287_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-43173100-1395237292_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-88047800-1395237296_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for jumping into that topic, but if somebody wants a latest generation kit with a proper shields - I decided to sell mine: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=6268

Von Kossa, sorry again, if you want, I will remove that message. Just posted it here because there is a nice group people interested in Oseberg model here :)

• 1 month later...

I love the way the deck finished up.  I really like the pattern at the bow, stern and the mast foot.  Keep it up, I need the guidance.  

I also like to thank Jack Panzeca who sent me his deck parts, without you i could not have finished the deck.

You are very welcome, I am glad that I could help.  You certainly made good use of the wood.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

I love the way the deck finished up.  I really like the pattern at the bow, stern and the mast foot.  Keep it up, I need the guidance.  

You are very welcome, I am glad that I could help.  You certainly made good use of the wood.

Something strange i noticed with your parts is that they are all slightly brighter than mine, that forced me to rebuild entire sections because it looked really odd. I wonder if the staining will even it out, so they look the same as the rest, do you have any knowledge of this?

Wood often differs in color when cut from different lots.  I studied your deck pictures and the most I could see was a very slight difference.  The stain should certainly even out the difference.  Are you planning to use a dark stain like the actual ship?  That would certainly do the trick.  If you have a little of each batch of wood you can put them side by side and stain them with both a medium oak and a dark walnut and get an idea of how they would look together.

Jack

Wood often differs in color when cut from different lots.  I studied your deck pictures and the most I could see was a very slight difference.  The stain should certainly even out the difference.  Are you planning to use a dark stain like the actual ship?  That would certainly do the trick.  If you have a little of each batch of wood you can put them side by side and stain them with both a medium oak and a dark walnut and get an idea of how they would look together.

This is a test piece i made with 3 layers of the same stain. I´m thinking about the one in the middle, two layers.

post-1001-0-03625100-1399883055_thumb.jpg

Hi von Kossa,

I just had a look into your viking boat...

It Looks fantastic eapecially in Details like sail, clinker planking, bow decoration, all Framework, bow decoration, rudder, mastfoot, and , and..

It is amazing how much love and authentic Fitting out you are putting on top of what the kit provides, a real Little treasure, love it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi von Kossa,

I just had a look into your viking boat...

It Looks fantastic eapecially in Details like sail, clinker planking, bow decoration, all Framework, bow decoration, rudder, mastfoot, and , and..

It is amazing how much love and authentic Fitting out you are putting on top of what the kit provides, a real Little treasure, love it..

Nils

Thank you very much Nils.

After watching your own builds i can only say that i stand in the shadows of a true master. Most impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

My photography mentor used to say that the nicest thing that you could say about another photographer is "you are killing me".  Well, your planking is killing me.  Very nice.

Jack

My photography mentor used to say that the nicest thing that you could say about another photographer is "you are killing me".  Well, your planking is killing me.  Very nice.

Hehe sounds like you are having real fun with the planking. :)

You are not forgetting to look real close on the interesting mast fish construction and it's planking while you are at it, are you?

Hehe sounds like you are having real fun with the planking. :)

You are not forgetting to look real close on the interesting mast fish construction and it's planking while you are at it, are you?

I have been looking closely and it scares me to death.  I plan to do all of the flat parts first and when I can't avoid the area around the mast I will force myself to do it.  Yours is beautiful and I look at it frequently to get ideas on how to proceed.  I am happy that your build is ahead of mine.  Thanks for the encouragement.  :D

Jack

I´m currently also building Oseberg and thought you might find these links to pages about the reconstructed ship interesting.

They are mostly in norwegian, but they got some good pictures of the ship and its construction

https://www.facebook.com/osebergvikingskip

http://sagaoseberg.no/

http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/index.php

-Hans Christian

Current build

-La Belle 1684 (Scracth build)

-Oseberg (Billing Boats) (On hold)

-Falmouth (Euromodel) (On hold)

Now you have REALLY given me something to think about  :o !!!  How did you cut the inside portion of the frame?

Another thought: how did the Vikings keep water out of this hole on the open sea?

Edited by Jack Panzeca

Jack

Now you have REALLY given me something to think about  :o !!!  How did you cut the inside portion of the frame?

Another thought: how did the Vikings keep water out of this hole on the open sea?

That was the tricky part, first i tried to drill down into the plywood from the top, did not work very well. Then i. Took the. Razor and grinded the plywood to pieces.finally i used sandpaper and a funny looking razor which is shaped like the ones you clean windows with but much thinner.

The. Vikings?

The floor tiles are loose on the real ship, propably used the space for storage, but it should also be easy to scope out the water if you have access to the lower compartment.

• 2 months later...

Regarding nails.
Looked into the distance between the nails on the oseberg, besides being very chaotic in placement, the type varies between square rivets or nails with rounded heads, i guess they took what they had when it was built.
There exists threads and loose information about the scale 1:1 ship has a ~20 cm space between the nails. If it is correct it would make the spacing in the BB kit to 8 mm between the nails assusming you have the correct scale on the nails.

I tried to make out the spacing by comparing this picture with the model.

post-1001-0-48457500-1408535139_thumb.jpg

post-1001-0-91336400-1408535007_thumb.png

In this case it would make the spacing 13 mm. But then i discovered that this only seems to be true with the rail (the two upper plank rows).

Study this picture and you can see that the spacing is smaller on the other rows.

post-1001-0-17204100-1408535599_thumb.jpg

To conclude this ranting i think i will be doing the following if i decide to join the nail circus:

1. Make the spacing on the two rail rows 12 mm.

2. Make the spacing on the the rest of the ship 10 mm like Jack Panzeca.

Edited by Von_Kossa

Hi Von_Kossa,

I tried to make them myself using the technique that Alexi Domanoff, a MSW sponsor, posted on Utube.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiI9BrdE3o.  

I was not very successful and finally abandoned the attempt.  I was not able to get a consistent size head.

Take a look and give it a try you may master it better than I did.

Jack

Hi Von_Kossa,

I tried to make them myself using the technique that Alexi Domanoff, a MSW sponsor, posted on Utube.

Here is the link:

I was not very successful and finally abandoned the attempt. I was not able to get a consistent size head.

Take a look and give it a try you may master it better than I did.

But is this really a problem? The nail types and sizes on the oseberg are really varied sizes. Oh well, i will find out, I guess. :)

I am having a big problem constructing or finding a wide angle knife, how did you solve this?

Edited by Von_Kossa

• 2 weeks later...