Harriet Lane 1857 by slagoon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:144 - steam paddle cutter

Grant - I think the scale has a huge part to do with the challenge - there are times when it feels insane. I'm looking so closely at something and paying so much attention and I'm unhappy with how it looks, not realistic enough, or not crisp enough. Then I pull my face back another six inches and it all looks better now (until I take a photo and it is MACRO) haha.  Thanks for the compliment

Sjors...I just feel bad that the photos aren't really interesting :) but I do have a sense of accomplishment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

sarah,

I think your doing a great job. I was poking fun at myself too for the instructions. I am also on my first build and find the instructions to be....... vague at times. Especially when the translation to english doesnt quite work.

Masts and rigging as magical creatures? With a sadistic mind of there own! And besides, who would want a fat free hamburger?!?!?!?! For me at least, I would rather have one hamburger a every six months with with bacon and blue cheese and caramelized onions than a fat free one every week.

Keep up the great work.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Nice work on the jibboom - I chickened out on drilling the holes and used a seized loop instead. 

Are you going to use the brass wire for the chain plates or try something else?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne, I am indeed going to use the brass wire for the chainplates. I have made my first four already (made a little jig for them) I am, however making them out of one piece of wire rather than two since the pieces are so small and once the nails are in you won't be able to tell anyway!  Last night I put my coil of brass in a 1 part Blacken it and 20 parts water concoction and left it overnight. This morning it is all rusty looking (perfect in  my opinion) so I rinsed, dried and made my 4 little chainplates. Only 18 to go. the other side of my jig is where I'll reeve the deadeyes together.  I do actually have a question for you - while I've got your attention....you seem to know a TON about paint schedules. My husband is about to start working on a Robert E Lee...and he wants to know the original paint schedule...do you know where I can find it? I stink at research.

Voldemort...sorry no photos today. I figure popeye made enough photo updates to satisfy you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

as to the Steamboat Robert E. Lee, there are a few contemporary paintings and sketches.  Here is one from the Louisiana State Museum that may be a good reference.

post-18-0-78514200-1363097393.jpg

The next is a Currier & Ives print of the "great Race" with the Natchez.

post-18-0-13554100-1363097500.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

oh boy - you guys are contagious - giving our sweet newcomer the desire to be a jokester. hehe.  I don't think they are much to look at...but I did bring some photos with today.

Here is the jig for putting chainplates on. As you can see the other side has room for two deadeyes (this is for the shroud reeving)

DSC07166-L.jpg

And here are the first 5 chainplates.

DSC07167-L.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

NIce Sarah... very nice jig indeed.  Mind if I steal that idea?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

steal away. That is the ultimate compliment - imitation. 

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah, shouldn't you do a patent application on your invention ?

The result looks very good.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Nah, they just changed it to "first to file" from "First to invent" haha besides I'm sure others have done it anyway....there are way better jigs I've seen out there :)  you guys are sweet.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

nice bit of progress Sarah.......the ablilty to 'think on your feet' is an absolute necessity with this hobby.   there are many processes to do something.........but as long as the outcome is the same...then it's all good!  I look forward in seeing them in application :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Those came out very nice, Sarah.  Good job!  I guess i really need to crack down and carve out some time to actually do some building and rigging so I can try to stay at least even with you (after all, I have been working on the HL for 10 days shy of a year at this point...guess i am a danged slacker!!!)

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Sarah, i am slowly getting to read more of the build logs, and I am glad to have found yours.  Some nice work there at the scale you are building to (not familiar with the size of the US cent but I assume the divisions on your cutting board are 1 "?).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Sarah,

I've been silently following your build, as I will continue to do, keep it up. You are making good progress.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, thanks - it's nice to see you and the horses around again :)

Pat, yes the board is 1" ( a penny's dimensions are 19mm diameter with 1.5 mm thickness) - similar to an australian six-pence (and canadian one cent). I'm glad you are enjoying the log!

Wayne - yeh hurry up would you? I need to see how it works? hehehe

Elia, thank you!

Popeye- we shall see - only 17 to go!!!!!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Uhoh - Gotta get my guard dog out! IMG_4954-L.jpg

Watson will guard everything - he'll lick you to death!!!!

ok now for pics of my progress....

I'll start with a tutorial for my tiny scale false dead eye reaving...

1) Start with a jig that places your dead eyes the correct distance apart.

Put a dead eye in each location with two holes facing two holes and and the one hole parts as far from each other as possible.... like this  · :       : · 

DSC07168-L.jpg

2) take the one end of the rope to do the reeving, the one you want your false end to be on 

DSC07169-L.jpg

and burn it just a little so that the burn clump is larger than the hole (shouldn't take too much)

DSC07170-L.jpg

3)Pull it through the left top eye until you hit the stop area.

DSC07171-L.jpg

4) Run the line through the same hole on the bottom dead eye

5) Bring the line to the top middle part of the dead eye

5) Bring the line through the same hole on the bottom dead eye...it should now look like this.

DSC07172-L.jpg

6) Bring it through the last holes on the top and the bottom dead eye.  

7) normally you would then bring it up to the lines to splice them....but since this scale is really small and I'm not very practiced I brought the line to the top dead eye again and glued it in place.  

DSC07173-L.jpg

Here is what the front looks like

DSC07175-L.jpg

This is not going into a museum...so CA glue is allowed...I be the captain arrrrrgggggg

Here is how they look on the the part where the top mast meets the mast

DSC07176-L.jpg

DSC07178-L.jpg

NOW.... On to the QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to build it with furled sails... so .... Here is what the drawing they gave me looks like (I colored in the lines trying to figure out what goes where)

DSC07179-L.jpgship-L.jpg

So, I'm guessing that the red is what I'd do with the sails to furl them.....but what about the sail that goes between the gaff and boom? Does that relocate the gaff or boom? and the three sheets in the front? Where do they go? Finally...The Mast Rings on the Main Mast...are they there or are they piled together because they are attached to the sail?  What else moves?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by slagoon

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah,

The aft sail ... it will go down to the boom. The gaff is lowered to the boom (or is it the other way round - anyways the sail is coming DOWN). Those three sails at the front, those slide down as well.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sarah,

Thanks very much for the tutorial. Undoubtedly I will benefit from it when dead eyes come on my way.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Sarah -

Here is a photo of a similar main gaff rig lowered with sails removed showing what happens with the mast rings.  The halliard and sheets would all be belayed to appropriate locations on the deck.

Fore-Aft-Hoops.jpg

On the foremast, the topgallant and topsail yards would be lowered down on the lifts with the sails furled onto them.

Based on the rigging diagram, the topsail on the mainmast would likely lower onto the gaff rather than furl to the mast itself - a bit odd, but it appears to be "fixed" to the gaff at both ends and haul up/down via the halliard at the peak, rather than having method to furl to the mast.  Note the mast hoops for the sail on the topmast for moving up or down.

Hope this helps!  Coming along quite nicely!!!

Wayne

Epictetus

really nice update Sarah.   I have only done full sail.   I suppose you could have the gaff,  spanker,  and stay sails full and just have the square sails furled.   I'm sure someone will have a better answer for you ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow guys- all I can say is thanks!

Wayne - that helps a ton!

Popeye, there's so much deck detail I really just want to have all the sails furled but its a good idea that I'll keep in mind in the future.

Augie - agree wholeheartedly

John - you are welcome! Glad it made sense

Carl - thanks - makes sense!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah

Nice little deadeye stringing jig. Those are some munchkin sized deadeyes.

I agree also on having furled sails so as best to show of the deck details and rigging better. I use to be a unfurled sail guy but more and more as I see the hours of work in rigging, I'm leaning more to the show off the details idea.

Thanks Carl

Keith, I appreciate it - the scale, while tiny does give me leeway to omit some details that could be challenging...

Anyway, update!!!

I have installed my deadeyes on the ship AND installed the running rigging to them.

Question....Do I install the rat lines now? Or do I wait till I finish all the rest of the rigging?

IMG_0096-L.jpg

IMG_0095-L.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

When you add the ratlines is really up to you.

Waiting till the end does give you additional space to work with the running rigging. Does any of the running rigging tie off on the shrouds (it would tie off to a cleat on the shrouds, but 1:144 scale cleats are a bit small.)?

Really, the gamut of rigging runs from yo-yos like me wanting to build up the masts and rigging the way they would have done it in the yard.

to

Building up the complete mast (with all spars, and rigging attached) off the ship and installing the mast and rig it then.

And everything in between.

The important thing is-have fun!

Thanks,

Harvey

Thanks Harvey, yeh my masts are only a little taller than a dollar bill....sooooooo yeh. I guess I'm also having trouble figuring out which lines in my diagram are running vs. standing.... grrr wish I knew more about real ships.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Does the line move a sail (or a spar the sail is attached to)? Then it's running rigging.

If it's called a shroud or stay, it's likely standing rigging. If it's a lift, halyard, sheet, reef line bunt line, leach line, brailing line (I know there are others) it's running rigging.

Also, standing rigging is generally black (it wasn't adjusted much and was tarred to preserve it) and running rigging is the white/cream/light brown color line.

It's fun to learn all this stuff. I'm still learning, and hope to for a long time.

If you guys want to go sailing, let me know and we can go out on our boat. Another thing to consider is take a sail on Lady Washington or Hawiian Chieftan this summer when they're in Everett (or Seattle).

http://historicalseaport.org/sail-with-us/buy-tickets/adventure-sail/

I tell my sailing students that it took 4000 years to develop the language of ships and sailing, so don't expect to learn it overnight.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Harvey

:dancetl6: Loving the Build Sarah!  Between you and Wayne mine may come off the shelf earlier than expected due to wanting to join the party!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull