HMS Victory by Shipyard sid - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Greetings everybody

First of all thanks to you all for viewing and all of your comments which are appreciated. Well I have returned with the main mast completed only needing a touch of painting. So now it's onto the mizzen which should not take to long, and then the bowsprit. The rigging on the bowsprit looks a bit of a challenge and is all new to me, so I am really looking forward to reaching that phase. I am pretty happy with the way things are going, and I shall leave you all now to start on the mizzen.......here's a few of those much of a muchness photos... Thanks once again. DAVID

post-96-0-27363300-1381087007_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-85235900-1381087042_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-06698800-1381087231_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-21151800-1381087353_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-96063100-1381087464_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-11795700-1381087724_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-57783800-1381087797_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-98734000-1381087928_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-21171800-1381087969_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-12430600-1381087989_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-03864200-1381088030_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-13706100-1381088173_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-09911000-1381088304_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-83089900-1381088345_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-59172200-1381088375_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-43795300-1381088408_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-56323600-1381088467_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-39197000-1381088531_thumb.jpg

Greeting lawrence

Hope your holiday is going really well. Thanks for your comments. Alas once again my build has stopped for a few days, as new carpets are being fitted in the bedrooms. Sadly the shipyard has only inherited the best of what is been taken up, as all I deserve is a clippy mat like my grandmother used to make. I should finish the mizzen mast ratlines by Friday , and then onto the bowsprit , which should be fun, I hope!!! Thanks once again, and don't you bring any furniture back with you. Regards DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello again, David..

Your rigging looks like it's coming along beautifully.  I know it's been tedious for you but just look how much progress you've made.  i can't wait to get where you are but I have so much more to do on my hull.  The rat lines look absolutely perfect and doing the clove-hitches makes it look that way.  I hope you have a great day.

Jerry

Ahoy Sid :D

Wow

That is an amazing build. Your craftsmanship really shows in the symmetry of both the ships lines and the rigging.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Greetings derek

Hope all is well. Yes it's the bowsprit next, but need to a tidy up job first . The hammock cranes have been bashed about and some bits of touching up is needed. I should be done on the ratlines by Saturday, and will have a look to see what's what on the bowsprit . Thanks a lot . Catch you later. DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Patrick and canoe

Sadly once again it's gone wrong. I finished the ratlines completely with the mizzen being last. But when I fed the two threads from the futtock staves up to the area were they terminate ( at the top were there are two single blocks) I can't remember what they call it, the shroud and ratlines twisted around. I had criss crossed one of the shrouds, and was always wary about that happening, but there you go. I tried to bodge it but it got worse, so I have chopped them off. I am leaving it for now and having a look at the bowsprit as per manual. I will go back to the shroud next week sometime. So be very wary when fitting the shrouds. Another good idea is to buy a few spare small dead eyes with any order you place, they are a bit awkward and I have a few floating about in the carpet. I have also lost one of the little chaps who are standing next to the shied but have a spare. A photo of my chopped off ratlines, and starting on the bowsprit. Thanks everybody for your replies. David

post-96-0-43656900-1382218199_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-03314200-1382218249_thumb.jpg

Ouch David!  Well that's the life of a ship modeller...do it, rip it out, do it again until you get it right.  The biggest source of satisfaction is not accepting mediocre and pushing yourself to get it as perfect as you can.  Your bowsprit and marines walk look great!  Keep up the good work!

Patrick

SYS---- Check your stern gallery and see if the two scrolls above the figures are backward, i.e. whether the scroll curves are going in the wrong direction. I'll bet a bunch of finished Caldercraft Vics are reversed like this---- the part bears only a vague resemblance to the proto--- a weak effort by JoTika. I would hope some more advanced Vic builders than I can tell us what they did. My first reaction(based on photos only) is that the scrolls are also upside down, but they would need some cannibalism to correct, including some judicious de-bulking. Check Wiki image below---- maybe I've gone insane.

john

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/HMSVictory.jpg/800px-HMSVictory.jpg

Greetings all

Thanks Patrick, John and Lawrence. So you are off and running again Lawrence and things are as ever excellent. I am getting used to these little set backs, they don't seem to matter anymore and will easily sort. John you were not supposed to spot the upside down scrolls!!!!!!!! Yep I knew about them . For some reason I could not make them fit correctly. The side of the scroll was overhanging the sides when it was the correct way up. Gil middletons and Kevin's are correct , but as you say I am probably not the first to have them upside down. I am off back to the bowsprit now, to hell with those clove hitches!!!!! Thanks again chaps. DAVID

Hi DAVID,

Thanks for looking at my build log. Actually I was planning on contacting you. I have been admiring your Victory and Wow it looks pretty nice. I know that I am way behind you in building but if you can offer any suggestions or forewarn me about any pitfalls as I precede it would be much appreciated.

I am going to start the gunport patterns tomorrow and I can see trying to get them lined up and the 1mm deck spacing above deck 446 will be a challenge.

About the gun port linings; no I am not going to install them yet. I was just working ahead waiting for glue on the hull to dry. Although I see people have added shelving so that the linings don’t fall through so I might add that now.

In the future I will answer your comments on my log.

Cheers, Eric

Hello Eric

Thanks for your reply. I would suggest you should fit shelves around the edges of the gunports before you attach the patterns. If you do fit the linings now remember the gunport linings need to be set back 1mm from the hull side ( see page 5 second paragraph) and your walnut planking is only 1 mm thick, and needs sanding . It's up to you how and when you fit the linings as it is your ship, but personally I would fit shelving around the inside of the patterns and fit the linings after the hull planking. I just used something like 3mm x 3 mm balsa for the shelves. Hope this helps . Enjoy your build DAVID

Hello Lawrence

I have just been looking at your build and it is looking very good . The same standard continues, and it looks like you only have the poop deck barricade to fit. I only started on my build again last night after a few days off , with our son coming up for a few days holiday. I have left the shroud for now and will go back to it later. I fitted the bowsprit last night and fitted the vertical lashing around it, but it still needs to be lashed horizontally. I am now looking at the rigging around the cleats. Bob stays and things it all Chinese to me, but will sort I hope. Keep enjoying your build DAVID

Hi David

I have a small problem. I think I know what the answer is but I would llike your opinion if you would be so kind to give it.

I am trying to line up patterns 270 and 272 against the stern.

On page 5 of the manual (photo 006) it shows the smooth run of the templates between 270; 272 against stern extension 106.If I try to line all these up I find that part of bulkhead 17 shows in the last gun port of 272. If I slide 272 ahead to cover the bulkhead then of course the patterns don't line up.

I will put a picture on my build log.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by Eric. C

Hello Lawrence

I was looking at your build and it is looking good. The buckets???? I drilled holes in them for the handles and used thread for the handles and then hardened the the thread with CA.. I had an idea later that you could glue the buckets to a length of strip, then use thin wire for the handles. You can then glue the strip with the buckets completed to the facia. You don't need to use all the buckets. Mine look congested and are not very good at all. Keep enjoying it DAVID

Greetings David:

Just a quick note to say that I appreciate your input on my Victory build project and wow your boat is very impressive.

Following your build log appears to be of great help to me and I will certainly continue to use your log as a reference.

Thanks again, and enjoy the remainder of your evening.

Eric

Hi David

If you wouldn't mind offering a word of advice I am having trouble with pattern 272.. If you look at my log the pictures should be self explanitory; the pattern does not want to sit against bulkheads 1,2 &3 properly. Cannot achive the proper curve.The pattern is not glued just pinned in place. Not sure how to correct it.

Eric

Hello Lawrence

I don't know how your hinges are attached, but on the jotika model the hinges are not set flush with the back of the lid, but set forward 1mm to allow the lid to sit in the 1mm recess which is created by the gunport linings being set back 1mm in the gunports. There is a 1mm recess under the jig backstop which allows the hinge to be set forward 1mm if you follow. I simply glued two guides on the backstop for a guide on the hinge positions. Simple but it worked. As I say I don't how yours fit. Good luck Lawrence. DAVID

post-96-0-63952900-1383265279_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-35868800-1383265413_thumb.jpg

David, Great work on the rigging. When I finished the rat lines, I took a deep breath and looked forward to different challenges. Jerry paid you a very nice compliment for helping him get started on his build. A vote of thanks for your help in making this such a great website. Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Greeting all

Well first of all I would like to thank you all for viewing and you comments. I did not intend to post yet, but my main overhead light has conked out so my work top area is too dim to use. Well this is me at the minute. I have started the standing rigging and completed most of the stays that run towards the bows apart from a few on the foremast that run to the bowsprit, as they cannot be fitted at the moment. The main and main preventer stays are completed and fitted as is the fore mast stay and preventer. The mariners walk and the knightheads are also in position. The bowsprit is fitted and lashed plus the deadeyes and blocks around the bees area ( I don't know the proper terms for this) are fitted. I tried to fit the snaking on the mainstay but it was a total failure so will be done later, probably with all the other failures. The snaking on the foremast stay is just about passable. Next?? Not sure, but all the stays that run towards the stern need fitting. I want to finish the bowsprit but I think it is to early given the length of it. I do have to return to that yet to be finished dam bit of shroud and ratline work on the top of the mizzen mast. Ok that's me for now. Here's some photos, which may be repetitive at times. Enjoy your builds chaps. Thanks once again chaps I'm off to amazon for a new light. DAVID

post-96-0-25966500-1383779730_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-15626500-1383779746_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-58207600-1383779767_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-03243400-1383779786_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-41946900-1383779809_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-66534200-1383779831_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-18923600-1383779849_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-81409500-1383779876_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-85664400-1383779900_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-69135900-1383779919_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-33352500-1383779940_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-39256600-1383780021_thumb.jpg

Wow David! She looks amazing! You must be so thrilled with how she's coming along and I'm sure that just a little bit of you is starting to envision the finish line over the horizon.  Have you decided how she's going to be mounted in the final display? In terms of how she'll be fitted to a base board?

Fantastic work!

Patrick

Greetings all

Thanks to you all for your comments and for viewing. So here's were I am at the moment . I decided to do all the back stays next from stern to bow, and have about 11 pairs left to finish. All I am doing is 3 pairs each evening so all being well I will be done on Friday. I did have a problem with the first stay I fitted on the main mast called the top mast breast back stay. The stay was just touching on the ratlines and the main top as it passed down to the channels for belaying. I had a word with Gil Middleton who informed me that on he's ship the stay was clear all the way down, but only just cleared the main top. Anyway I will have to live with that and nobody will notice. It's seems that I am heading to the bowsprit next and the flying martingale and jib horse??????? It's all new to me, and there are stays galore about, so that should be fun to sort out, Maybe!!!! Anyway here's a few photos of were I am at the moment . Much of a muchness as usual and probably a couple duplicated. Thanks a lot DAVID