dentist binocular loupe

Had to visit the dentist and saw a real neat set of binocular loupes.  Asked the doctor about them and was told that they worked very well and had a depth of field of about 16".  Sounds like a great thing for model building.  Of course the real good ones cost a lot.  Looked on ebay and found some cheap ones with 3.5x power and a 420mm depth of field.  Anyone ever use these (especially the cheap ones).  Are they something worth getting?

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

When I am doing close-up work I tend to keep my hands about 9 to 10 inches from my face.  When I put on my magnifying glasses I still work at 9 to 10 inches.  When I have tried dentist’s binoculars the focal distance is from 18 to 24 inches and I found that very awkward.

Bob 

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Got some about a year ago, but haven't realy used them (yet).

What you are calling the 'depth of field' presumably is the 'working distance', i.e. the distance between the lense and the object you are looking at. The dentist ones seem to be designed for working standing up and hovering over the patient. I found the distance of 400 mm uncomfortable, it means that I have to sit rather upright and with arms nearly stretched out at my work table to keep the objects in focus.

I also found that the actual depth of field, i.e. the range over which objects appear in focus, is rather small at the large magnification.

In addition, I had problems adjusting the two microscopes for stereo-vision. Somehow the optical axes never seem to aligne with those of my eyes.

Not sure, whether all these problems are related to the fact that it is 'cheapish' (still 120 Euro) one. You can get branded ones for 400+ Euro ...

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks guys. Every time I go to the dentist I think about looking into these, but with this information I can forget about it now. I bought a strong pair of readers that work really well for me better than the flip up magnifiers.

Tom,

I've just started using an Optivisor and very much like for the magification work.  Far, far less expensive than the dental device.  Maybe $50 US.  There are multiple lens sets available for differing magnifications (and corresponding focal distances).

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Depending on what I'm doing, I use a 2.50 or 3.50 magnification reading lenses. They work great for me and the cost is barely an issue.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Well, for many years I just took fo my spectacles (but donned some safety glasses instead) and got instantly 3.5 diopters, albeit at the cost of having to move the stuff closer to the eyes. With increasing age, however, the eyes loose their accomodation capabilities … cheap reading glasses from the chemist/department store are an option, but do not offer much protection when working with machinery. There is also a slight problem, when you need different corrections on both eyes.

A short while ago I bought a pair of safety glasses that have a magnifying insert a the lower inside corner. While this works in principle, I have to hold the head in a somewhat awkward position to use these inserts. Not good for longer work-sessions. I wish they would do magnifying safety glasses. This would be good for lathe work and similar.

I am still looking for clip-on magnifiers that clip onto the thicker frame of my safety glasses and have a slim clamp - all I saw on ebay have a rather bulky clamp that gets into my field of vision. Perhaps I have to modify some commercial ones.

wefalck

wefalck

Hi all, I have had practically the same experience as Wefalck with the dental loupes. I bought a pair via eBay (Chinese) but find them near impractical to work with.  I am not sure if the medical variety would do any better.

Wefalck, if you find a decent set of clip on magnifiers could you let us know please?.  I would like a pair for my normal glasses as well as for use with safety glasses but have the same issue re the clip-on mechanisms.  Everything I have seen so far either has cheap and clunky clip mechanisms.  A set oof clip ons with variable (2x  and 3.5x) equal on both side that could flip up out of the way, and that can be used on both reading and safety glasses would be the best of both worlds.  However, most of the stuff I have seen is the cheap polished plastic type magnifiers that (for me) do not provide a nice clear working environment that would allow comfortable working over longer periods. We will probably have to settle for interchangeable magnification inserts but a decent glass magnifier would be great.

There are now cheap variable / adjustable reading glasses that have a adjustable settings for each eye available in Australia, I wounder if that sort of technology is transferable to the magnification type glasses/visors etc?  These are not the ones I have seen, but a similar concept: http://www.gizmag.com/eyejusters-adjustable-glasses-developing-world/22734/

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about getting a dental loupe - happened to go to the dentist yesterday and the hygienist was wearing a pair that I got a good look at close up during the 6-monthly clean.

Searching today, I came across a 2-page online article about dental loupes by a 2nd yr Dental student in the UK. Part 2 gives a good explanation of all the features and the various specification considerations such as:

• Magnification
  • Field of View
  • Resolution
  • Field Depth
  • Angle of Declination 

Thought it might be useful...

http://thedentalstudent.co.uk/a-guide-to-dental-loupes-part-1-the-basics/

Current build: HM Cutter Mermaid 1817
Next build: US Brig Syren...maybe :)

The main thing to watch for is the focal length.  Those that I have seen do not focus close enough for me liking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I got a cheapo (around 120 €) one about a year and a half ago and never use it. I struggled with setting it up properly (you can set the eye-distance, the angle of the optical axes to each other and the inclination) and then found that the working distance is about 400 mm - which forces me to sit rather upright at my worktable. Perhaps it is good for my posture, but I had to have the chin on my breast to see the area, where I am normally working and worked with almost stretched-out arms, which was tiring. I gather they are indeed designed for dentists and chirurgical work that is mostly performed when standing above the patient.

I recently bought a pair of safety glasses that have a x2.5 magnification and these seem to work better for me. Plus they protect the eyes when working with machines.

wefalck

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

I just got these a few weeks ago and they are great.  Light weight,  no more headaches from head bands.  Each side can be adjusted + or - 3 diopters.  Takes a couple days to get used to,  but once you do they are the best.

If the link won't work do a Google search for... Eschenbach Maxdetail Magnifiers.

www.gesswein.com/p-9119-eschenbach-maxdetail-up-to-2x.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=perpage=

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

• 3 weeks later...

I've ended up going for a Donegan Optivisor 2.5x mag 8" focal length to start. Went for ground glass lenses rather than plastic to help prevent scratching $47.44AUD including shipping to Canberra, Australia. Yay Amazon!

Now for the mail to arrive....

Current build: HM Cutter Mermaid 1817
Next build: US Brig Syren...maybe :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried the cheaper ones and binned them. I now use the optivisor and i think it's great. You can get a range of lenses to match focal length against magnification. Don't be tempted to just go for the higher magnification you end up working an inch from you workpiece. Also a limited field of view can be a factor, easy to break the fragile bit just out of the field of view.

Nick

Gentlemen:

As a person who has a degenerative eye condition, I wear prisim glasses. I read and work on my models on average 4" from my face. I have read everything so far and you all describe the conditions I have to live with. It's either that or quit reading and building. I would suggest that all of you see an eye doctor before screwing around with your vision. It is a precious thing that the wrong type of loupe or magnifying glasses could screw up.

That said the right eye doctor will work with you and tell you what type or style of loupe or magnifyers are ok to use. Buying out of "Walmart" may not be good enough.

Sorry to rain on your thread. I am just concerned about peoples eye sight.

Dave