Jump to content

Creole Queen by wim500 - sternwheeler - 1/82 - Wood


Recommended Posts

Taking a deep breath and starting all over again with this buildlog.

Luckily Ik kept a log on Donnie's site :).

 

After 4 ships out of the box (kit) it was about time to build a ship from scratch. I decided to build the Creole Queen riverboat, a commercial paddlesteamer from New Orleans. On a scale of 1/82 the total length will be about 85 cm. I ordered some plans from Dumas for their RC-kit and started to draw my own plans. I will take a lot of time for this build.

 

The original:

CreoleQueenscratch001.jpg

 

Dumas drawings, nice but not for the hull, no details on the plans.

Their plans were meant for RC-models and not for scratch-build.

CreoleQueenscratch002.jpg

 

Making my own drawings:

CreoleQueenscratch005.jpg

 

Keel and frames:

CreoleQueenscratch014.jpg

 

Middle and stern almost fixed:

CreoleQueenscratch016.jpg

 

"Planking"

CreoleQueenscratch022.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch024.jpg

 

To be continued in part 2

 

Wim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part 2:


The deck (1 mm plywood):

CreoleQueenscratch025.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch026.jpg

 

Sanding, putty, sanding, putty, sanding, painting;
CreoleQueenscratch0035.jpg

 

For constructing the windows of the cabins I made a mould:

CreoleQueenscratch030.jpg

 

First cabins, also 1 mm plywood:

CreoleQueenscratch0036.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0038.jpg

 

White painting and some shutters and doors made out of plasticcard:

CreoleQueenscratch0044.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0047.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part 4:

 

 

Dryfitting railings:

CreoleQueenscratch0079.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0080.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0081.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0082.jpg

 

Dryfitting sternwheel:

CreoleQueenscratch0084.jpg

 

Some tests for the top of the chimney:
1 = 160 grams paper
2 = 80 grams paper double with alu-foil
3 = 160 grams paper double with alu-foil
4 = sodacan (0,14 mm)
5 = brass (0,12 mm)

 

CreoleQueenscratch0085.jpg

 

1, 2 and 4 are not firm enough.
3 is firm, but it became very thick.
So it will be the brass I will use for the chimneys.

 

 

This is as far the build is now.

 

With a short break it took me not even an hour to update :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I continued with the both paddlewheels, the Creole Queen has indeed two paddle wheels with each three wheels.

CreoleQueenscratch0087.jpg

 

The six wheels are loose yet, so I needed a jig for preventing them to turn around.

I hope a picture tells more than words:

CreoleQueenscratch0091.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0092.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0094.jpg

 

 

I had forgotten to tell you how I've made the wheels:

Wheels are made out of 1 mm plasticcard, one piece of 5mm brass rod, some pieces of 6 mm brass rod and some metal rings.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0088.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0089.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0090.jpg

 

I hope the pictures will tell the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just found your build log and I must say I am impressed with your work.  I will be following this with interest. I have ordered the plans to the Belle Of Louisville. Thinking about a build later on for it.

Looking forward to much more and thanks for posting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Pete38

Thanks for looking in and your nice words.

At the moment I'm focussed on the Turtle ship, but in a few weeks I hope to continue with this one.

Have only made a mistake at the paddlewheel, there's too much space between blades/paddles 3 and 4.

But in my opinion the total view is good, so I'm not gonna change that.

 

The Belle of Louisville is another beautiful riverboat, If you gonna start the build I will follow that closely.

Have fun with the preparations :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't done much, so only a small update.

 

Placed the name of the ship at starboard and port and changed the letters "CQ" by larger ones.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0096.jpg

 

Placed windows and red curtains in the cabin of the 3rd deck.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0097.jpg

 

A first layer of green on the open deck.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0098.jpg

 

Preparing the last deck for the wheelhouse.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0099.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

First wooden chimneys are gone in the trash, almost impossible to line the both different diameters.

Started again with cupper pipe for waterworks (15 mm), then ducttape around the 10 mm wooden rod and it fits better than before.

 

Decorations between the stacks were made of a wooden rod and brass. This was a hell of a job, only after several hours of suffering I was satisfied with the result.

 

CreoleQueenscratch0100.jpg

 

 

CreoleQueenscratch0101.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0102.jpg

 

CreoleQueenscratch0103.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...