Washington 1776 by Mike 41 - FINISHED - 1:48 - row galley

Hey Mike, maybe we can get Ken to make ROYAL SAVAGE. 

I kind of question the wisdom of all those swivel guns on the quarterdeck.  Seems kind of crowded.  However, that is where the Ernie Haas painting has them.

Philly is about 90-95% complete.  I have not had a chance to get any photos.  I will get some tonight.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Chuck,

The Royal Savage would make a good first scratch build for Ken I’ll post a picture and see what he thinks.

Howard Chapelle’s drawings show the swivel guns on the quarterdeck also. It probably was a little crowded and noisy when the guns were busy.

Mike 

post-950-0-76206700-1400091850_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

It seems like I spoke too soon, I found the picture of the Royal Savage on the internet but haven’t been able to locate any plans. There may be plans and documentation in the Smithsonian Institute but I haven’t ordered anything from them. Chuck may know if plans are available.

Mike

I strongly suspect not.  WASHINGTON was captured and the Brits took the lines of of her.  Smithsonian has a couple pages of plans.  PHILLY was raised and surveyed.  Smith has a buttload of pages of plans for this....16 I believe.  I am looking at an old copy of the "Smithsonian Collection of Warship Plans" and find nothing for Royal Savage.  Since it burned, the British may  not hav gotten any info from it. 

C'mon....can't you build a model based just on the picture?

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I probably could convert from any schooner, but when I start scratch building, I want to build as historically accurate as possible. Right now I'm "cutting my teeth" or building my skills on some ficticious kits that i'm renaming after each of my kids.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Very nice work Mike. The cannons look excellent.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I guess that's what happens when you slap a fleet together with what is available.  I have similar issues with PHILADELPHIA that I will explain on my blog when I finally get my ducks in one sock.   Long story short, there are alot of design flaws that make it look awkward.  Somethng apparently as simple as not having enough ringbolts/eyebolts forces them to double up the use of several bolts causing non symetrical rigging and (in my mind) a less than crisp looking appearance. 

They didn't build the shils/fleet to make life easier for modelers...but it sure does make an interesting build.

Great work so far Mike.  I'll see you at Valcour.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Always learning something new. Thanks for showing how to make the extra long yards. I've never seen that before.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Mike:

Very nice work. So what was the reasoning for the extremely oversized yards on this ship? Never seen anything like this.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Is that HMS THUNDERER I see?   Ooops.  Can't be.  Has a US flag.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Sawdust Dave,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I needed to check with Jeff (the designer) about where the length of the yards came from. He used an existing model for the yard lengths. This is a photo that he used. I agree the yards are extremely long. The original drawings Jeff used show stub masts without the yards.

Mike

post-950-0-89374800-1403787048_thumb.jpg

Very nice work throughout Mike! Does Jeff sell his plans or have them downloadable somewhere? I've been interested in the Washington for quite some time and it looks like Jeff did a great job on the plans. I'm sure you've read it, but for anyone checking in who would like some good reading- Benedict Arnold's Navy by Jeff Nelson is a great book on the Battle of Valcour Bay, and really makes you understand why Benedict Arnold turned traitor.

Again, great work Mike!  -Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle