What is the name for the netting under the bowsprit

HKC

I am building the Danmark (older version)  and the kit came with a piece of netting similar to a window screen but more flexible that is situated under the bowsprit. The piece supplied is too small for my application so I need to acquire a larger piece. I have two questions: (1) what i the name for it, and (2) where can I get it?

thanks,

HKC

Current (fist) build Billing's Danmark 5005 static

HKC,

So far as I know and heard, and I have sailed on a few square riggers, it has always been called just that – the bowsprit netting. I can't answer your second question, but I'm sure someone will come back on that.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

H

If you live in the US did you contact Billings service department for the US? 

bbusa@billingboats.com

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You might go to a fabric shop such as Joann's. I bought some 'netting' that I used for the Constitution railing nets and also for the railing on the tops and it looks about right. 

post-246-0-82020800-1396706984.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Or you can try that material they use for the bride's veil. 

I think that's what Jay (modeler12) refers to.

Not sure of it's name in English, but in Spanish is "Tul"

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 8 months later...

Thank you all for your responses. I've been offline the better part of this year but back at it now. I will follow up on the server hairnet and fabric store netting suggestions. Thank you.

Current (fist) build Billing's Danmark 5005 static

• 1 year later...

HKC - I hope you don't mind me high jacking your thread after such a long period of inactivity?

In the Endeavour AOTS, this netting is referenced as being for the staysail ( to hold the 'bundle' when lowered).

My question is how it was rigged circa 1770.  the AOTS shows only a side view.  In this view there is a 'horse' which I am presuming is one each side.  I initially assumed the netting was fixed between these but there also appears to be a small eye ring centrally placed at either end fixed to the boom collar (fwd side) and boom cap (aft side) to which the net was attached.

Would I be right in assuming that it was fitted between the horses (hitched) to act as spreaders and the central eye rings to give fore and aft support to the net?  OR  was it hung more like a hammock?

Any pointers/suggestions appreciated as there is nothing in Lees, Lever, Marquardt, Harland or Falconer (that I can find)  to provide this detail.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Shipaholic's netting would be to hold the staysail when it is not set.  Reference David Antscherl's 'Fully Framed Model'.

Edited by jbshan

Hi HKC;

I'm with jb on this.  When these nettings first appeared,  they were rigged above the bowsprit,  and their purpose was to hold the staysails when lowered.  It was only later that they were rigged below the bowsprit,  to catch those who lost their footing while working on the headsails.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks Steve and JB.  Steve that photo is perfect - many thanks for that - much appreciate the rapid response.  I was a bit puzzled by marquardt's depiction as i could not see a 'seaman' like way to utilise a central line either end; the spreaders make much more practical sense.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 6 years later...