Cutty Sark by Keith B

Cool !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

nice looking build Keith.......good method for coppering as well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

looking great so far, I wish i thought of copper tape rather than the tile torture i put myself through :S

Good to see another cutty build aswel!

its going to be good to be able to discuss the intricacies when i get bogged down :)

That's the first side done. Now for side 2. Filling first,as shown.I'm using a car body filler used for repairing plastic bumpers.It's just something I had lying around after a small scrape in the car last year! It is very strong,yet remains slightly flexible.It sands down to a really smooth finish,which you need when coppering with such thin tape. A lot of preparation means a better finished product--well,that's the theory!!

post-4031-0-33675300-1414595273_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-84011400-1414595274_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-25578900-1414595276_thumb.jpg

That's the hull coppered. I got quite confident on the second side.Instead of just making strips of tiles 450mm long,I "tiled" the rest of the copper tape roll,and then re-rolled it back onto the reel.This gave me about 40ft of continuous tiles to work with.

You can just see the remaining roll of tiles in the photo.

post-4031-0-22663800-1414859850_thumb.jpg

Scratch is ... scratch ... and you ll never know what exactly have to by

When enter in one of two places where in Belgrade you can bye strips, moldongs, etc, first thought is ... I need this all ! It is not sure that you will find it again.

Couple of months ago, I came there looking for a 2x2 mm strip, they have 2x3 ... couple a days ago I was lookong for 1x10mm , they dont have, but there was a bunch of 2x2 mm ... Lottery

So, bye everything !!!!

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I'm not going to bother with the book.I bought the one by Longridge for the Victory I made,but ended up putting it away in a drawer.They're just not for me.

I have mentioned before that I'm not really bothered about absolute historical accuracy,I just want to make something that will,hopefully,be pleasing to look at,and has been built to the best of my limited ability! When it's finished it isn't going to be put on show in a museum,just my spare room,so if somebody looks at it and says "Cutty Sark,that's lovely", then that will do for me.If they say "Oh,that thread's not to scale",or "that deadeye is made of the wrong wood",then I'll personally boot them up the backside out of the door!! :)

I'm not going to bother with the book.I bought the one by Longridge for the Victory I made,but ended up putting it away in a drawer.They're just not for me.

I have mentioned before that I'm not really bothered about absolute historical accuracy,I just want to make something that will,hopefully,be pleasing to look at,and has been built to the best of my limited ability! When it's finished it isn't going to be put on show in a museum,just my spare room,so if somebody looks at it and says "Cutty Sark,that's lovely", then that will do for me.If they say "Oh,that thread's not to scale",or "that deadeye is made of the wrong wood",then I'll personally boot them up the backside out of the door!! :)

I have to agree with you, Keith. I'm more interested in personal satisfaction, rather than historical accuracy, as well. As long as its done to the best of my ability, then I'm happy. Having said, I still welcome people's positive feedback and admiring comments. It kinda spurs me on to do more and more.

All the best!

Fortunately, on MSW is enough space for us mortals, who make our builds for own satisfaction, and who enjoy in creativity 

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

i agree with the last couple of posts, i too am building what i call a semi scale boat,, made some mistakes, made some changes on purpose and have a very nice looking model even if not historically correct...i get a real laugh listening to guys on here arguing about .010 of an inch on some dimension because its not historically correct and they want a model built just like the real thing,,, news flash guys!!!! the builders of these ships didnt have copiers, computers, cad programs, cnc power tools, so much for their pretentions of building the model just like the real ship!!!! more power to you, youll end up with a beautiful model