San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Welcome to my little corner of the world Augie, we don't lack for excitement here...and I LOVE my pink cutting mat lol.

Andy awesome drawing, now I understand.

Eric, dot feel bad about what you did, your straight up and down chainplates with the shortened ones just above the conflicting gun ports is EXACTLY what the instructions show to do...same pictures in the manual as you did.

If I made that apron thingy, I would do just like Sherry said, stand up and probably dump the entire drafting table, build and all over onto the floor. THAT would be a real tragedy.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Yes I an saying DO NOT attach the dead-eyes and chain plates yet because you have no accurate way of getting the correct angles.

Not sure what you mean by "racks"

Not sure what you mean by "racks"

I meant channels not racks....one of these days I will learn the names to all these parts lol.

sorry, not much progress to talk about. I worked on lots more little bits and pieces yesterday, and am working on the guns and carriages but no pictures yet. Am feeling a bit under the weather so haven't been as diligent of late.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hello Robbyn,

I just re-joined MSW after a long hiatus and found a number of subjects within your build log interesting and easy to relate to. First and foremost, it is so great to see another person from Kansas in this hobby,  I live in the Southeast part of the state and its interesting to discuss the reactions I get from members of my community when they find out what my hobby is, Yes, I like ships, the ocean, and I live in Kansas, so the point is?

I am in the middle of two builds, HMS Endeavor and Constitution, of which both got put on hold as of last summer because of an injury to my right index finger.  I slipped with a screwdriver, yup, a tiny flathead screwdriver, which dig into the finger right at the knuckle and cut through two tendons and into the bone.   After surgury, some rehab, and a rather large withdrawal from my bank account, I now have full use of the finger, which comes in very handy when tying up Ratlines and shrouds.

On the subject of stain, I have the problem when I apply it in that it is too light, too dark, too sticky, or just right.  Your’s came out just right.  I like the dark look.

Regarding dogs, I have four of them ranging from a Shitzu to a Labrador.  Yup, they keep the floor very clean and they find that Basswood is quite palatable.  Yet these dogs are not as dramatic as the cats, who do their best at keeping me busy with repairs and rebuilds.  I leaned one thing building with cats, NEVER PUSH A LONG HAIRED CAT OUT OF THE WAY WITH SUPERGLUE ON YOUR HANDS!  Almost needed stitches after that incident.

I look forward to seeing you work at fitting out and then rigging the San Francisco.  

Regards,

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Ok Sjors, just for you, some pics.

Cannons and carriages on the deck (not yet rigged)

guns at the bow and stern installed

Pinracks in place

raiings done

channels on

also have anchors done but since I can't do my deadeyes and chainplates yet, I can't mount the anchors

Ready to start working on the masts tonight....then I am going to have to decide what I want to do with this lifeboat...use it as is and call her good, or build myself one....hmmmm....

post-127-0-06029900-1366323016_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-61321000-1366323031_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-52573600-1366323043_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

She's coming together nicely, Robbyn.  Looks very clean and sharp with some great contrast on the woods.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really shaping up, Robbyn.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Robbyn,

Have just been catching up with your log. You're doing an excellent job too - she's looking fabulous! Looks like you're getting plenty of advice on the rigging side of things, so I'll sit back and enjoy following along. I'll try and keep Sjors in check - he probably just ran out of popcorn again :) I've also got Chuck's Longboat kit tucked away waiting for me as a " 'tweener" but I'm teasing myself - won't start it until my Vic is finished. At least, that's what I keep telling myself........

I see what you mean by wheel-less carriages... I think my kit was developed after yours and was the next version as it was out of stock until late February. I feel almost positive that they switched out the apple wood for walnut but stuck me with goofy cannon carriage.

Yin yang I guess :rolleyes:

And you're making great progress on the furniture... looking sharp. :)

I threw out historical accuracy on this kit...I am going for something that looks pretty lol.

she certailnly is looking pretty :)

historical accuracy can wait till you go the darkside :P

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Robbyn,wife and I watch your interesting blog from afar, Canada , often amusing,lots of tips and ideas,your build looks really great,a good modeler for sure.your school kids must be well taught(lucky to have you).thanks for info on Lee Valley project wood.

With your great attitude you may want to start a sidebar,ie modeling safety equipment,steel gloves to mid arm,steel capped work boots,easy release velcro aprons ,modelers first aid kit etc,(a little English humour)

Joking aside,a great job on your model,thanks for the time you put into the blog.working on the endeaver,king of the mississipi.

prayers and thoughts to those in West and Boston,Edwin

I threw out historical accuracy on this kit...I am going for something that looks pretty lol.

:D Haha -that's what I'm doing too! Your ship is looking GREAT!!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

You have done it again Robbyn,

You make my day  :D pictures!

It looks great!.

Not every build has to be historically right if you can put your own things in it.

That makes building fun.

When you go to the dark side I think I will …….not follow you  :)

I shall be looking but that's all!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Ok, I decided to use the metal lifeboat provided with the kit....I know big cop out. However, my Syren that was supposed to be on back order for 30-45 days has shipped :o . Now I really just want to move on with this build and git er done as some say. But, last night while trying to sleep and instead dreaming and thinging about the build, I decided that there are a few things I need to do to the lifeboat to at least improve its quality. The oarlocks are just little 4mmx3mm blocks with a piece of brass wire stuck in the middle, according to the instructions. Well, that just wont do :mellow:  So, decided I need to file and shape those blocks into something more visually appealing than a blocked out hunk of wood. Also decided it is time to buy a soldering iron and test my ability at making a proper brass oar resting point on the oarlock. Figure it cant be too difficult to make.

So more tonight...

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looking ahead eh? What do they say... it's the journey, not the destination... :) but I get it, oh boy do I get it. I see so many new kits that I salivate over and yet I still have months to go on my San Fran. :rolleyes: I have so much more to do and at every turn I decide something else needs to be 'bashed' rather than kit supplied. At this rate I'm never going to get to the next one :mellow:

IMO... regarding soldering... I used a solder iron the first time I tried the hinges and the parts are so freaking small that capillary action made the part and the solder and the iron stick together. I switched to a propane torch and it worked a lot better. All it took was about a second to heat the brass so the solder flowed... other people no doubt love their solder irons but for me it was just plain frustrating. :unsure:

She looks about ready for some lines to be run out and belayed.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Ok, some progress to report.

I have been working on improving the oar brackets for the lifeboat.

My very first attempt at soldering....not so great :(

post-127-0-50811300-1366498489_thumb.jpg

So I spent some time filing down the solder

post-127-0-64635200-1366498493_thumb.jpg

Then painted them black as I have no blacken it

post-127-0-20888300-1366498514_thumb.jpg

While those were drying I took a look at the ugly blocks glued to the limber boards :huh:

post-127-0-91282900-1366498499_thumb.jpg

I decided they needed a bit of shaping

post-127-0-70860000-1366498504_thumb.jpg

Now I have the oar brackets dry fit...I know, they need some more shaping and filing :(

post-127-0-99085700-1366498529_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn that doesnt look to bad for your first try. bit of filing and shaping then repaint and they l look good .

its a lot of work scratchbuilding parts but so rewarding when you see how much you improved the look of your model :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Good on you for doing the scratch building Robbyn, in my view that's what makes you a good modeller rather than just someone how puts a kit together.

Re your bike trip I have one question.............................how are you going to safely carry the SF on a bike so you can work on it while you are there :D

It looks good for a first try :)

Soldering is one of those things that always gets better with practice. My first solder joints where even lumpier than yours. You'll know when you get it right, with a good hot iron the tiniest drop of solder will just get wicked in between the pieces and you'll never see it again.. just a small heat stain on the part :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Steve, I am afraid the SF will have to stay safely at home...don't think she would be too safe on the back of the Harley....It will be an interesting trip this year...interesting to see how much thinking about my build I will be doing. I am hoping I will be finished with the SF by then and ready to begin the Syren...but you know what they say about the best laid plans.

I had actually expected to be working on my masts today, but I spent yesterday doing the lifeboat, and today I have decided I need to put wheels on the gun carriages after all. That means it will probably be mid week at least before I get to the masts :(

The nice thing to look forward to is that I am pretty darn sure no kit bashing will be necessary for Chuck's Longboat....that should make it an intensely easier build, at least in that respect.'

David, Grant, Adrieke, Sjors, Andy, Steve...thanks for encouragement. 

Andy...I don't know if it is me, the equipment, or the material....but nothing wicked like it should have. I would get this "ball" of solder, and would then have to place that next to the joint and melt it to join the two pieces. I know I bought a cheap battery powered soldering iron, so that might be the problem, I could have bought and electric one for a few dollars cheaper, but I thought I wanted cordless for ease of handling...I don't think the heating element works properly in it to hold a steady temperature Then again, maybe I need a different solder (think I have 60/40 tin, lead mixture with a flux core) hardware store did not offer anything else other than lead free. Or maybe it is the fact I was trying to solder copper wire since I did not have access to brass.

Here is a shot of my new carriage wheels....dang camera shows every single flaw lol. Honestly they look much better from 6 inches away :P 1 carriage down, 2 wheels made, only 18 more wheels to go..

post-127-0-64219700-1366554291_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I've got a good iron wiht an adjustable power setting, although for most work I do I leave it at the full 25 watt setting. This is where plug in ones help, too, let it get really hot..., that way it only take momentary contact to make the solder flow. and make sure you contact both pieces, otherwise you'll get a "cold" solder joint (basically a weak joint that won't last). Your solder sounds ok for this kind of work. I know there are a lot who recommend silver solder, but I've never felt the need (And I'm sure that's going to stir up a hornet's nest.. :P ). As for the metal.. you can solder copper, or brass equally as effectively.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

My first attempt at soldering was a disaster. It was one of the reasons I bought so much tube and bar... quite a few mistakes. What ended up working for me was basically 3 things... flux on both pieces, a jig that held everything in place before i hit it with heat, and quick high heat. That way nothing moved except the placement of the solder. In any case, your oar mounts are better than what you would have had if you "followed directions" :P

Hi and congrats on the moderator status.

Andy is correct about soldering, it's all about the heat, you must get both pieces to the same temp, then the solder will just wick ( suck in ) correctly.

I would just say practice practice practice, I've been an electrical engineer for more than 20 years and still on tiny modeling stuff I struggle, give me 20 gauge I it's perfect.

As I always say in this hobby, it's all practice.

Ben

Come to the dark side and silver solder, Robbyn. Once you have tried it you will never go back!  Silver soldering is not difficult, really.

Wish you well as a mod!!!

BFN

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Busy day today, but progress has been made.

Finished making wheels for the carriages

post-127-0-08671300-1366597397_thumb.jpg

Made the little ropes that hold them in place

post-127-0-82186600-1366597407_thumb.jpg

Had to drill holes in the sides of the carriages for the restraining lines

post-127-0-03831200-1366597415_thumb.jpg

Used my high-tech tools to insert and hold the restraining lines into to holes on the carriages (toothpicks)

post-127-0-02538400-1366597422_thumb.jpg

Added "brass" straps to the tops of the carriages. these straps are actually made of gold foil which I found in the candy making aisle..seems to simulate what i needed it to. Wish I'd had this when I was making the hinges for my doors.

post-127-0-16596900-1366597430_thumb.jpg

first 4 cannons installed!!!

post-127-0-97726300-1366597454_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station