Scale plank lengths or use a full-length strip?

While I am yet to begin my Niagara kit (first wooden build), I am always thinking and pre-planning. So today's planking question is: Is it better to cut scale-length planks, or to use a single strip and scribe false butts? I'm thinking that, since it's my first wooden ship, that I should use a single strip along the full length of the hull. That way, any bulkhead fairing that might be a little "off" would be less apparent. Of course, I do plan on double-checking my bulkhead fairing before I begin planking!

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

SgtSki,

Funny you should ask.  I just did something similar for the planking above the wales on my Syren where I used one continuous piece instead of smaller individual pieces.  Take a look at my latest Syren post to see if this helps make up your mind.  I know it's not how it was done on real ships so I guess it all depends on how realistic you want to be.  (don't tell anyone and they'll never know ;) )

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I have found it easier to use individual planks as I have found that bow and stern planks often require cutting from sheet stock due to their shape.  An example from the bulwark of my Topsail Schooner Eagle 1847 build is illustrated below.

Regards,

Pete  

post-5855-0-14246200-1417632233_thumb.jpg

post-5855-0-24045900-1417632314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Jaquith

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

I prefer to use scale length planks with a proper butt shift and spiling near the bow as required. I believe it is easier the get a full length fit when doing it in two or more pieces than trying to cut and bond a single full length plank.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I think it depends on the type of build.

I building a plank on frame then scale planking will work (plenty of frames to position the buts on.

With a plank on bulkhead one might find that scale planking stops in the (empty) space between bulkheads.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

According to the instructions for my Niagara kit, the model meets the rule of a scale-length plank starting and ending at the center of every 5th bulkhead, so there should be no planks ending in open air.

Edited by SgtSki in MI

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

Current Builds:

I cut scale planks but always have a longer working plank to push up against it to validate the same flow is present.   This also insures you don't artificially have the plank run where a stealer or different width is required.

You want to avoid the start / stop look at each plank end caused by slightly different plank angles.

Mark

Except perhaps for planks at the wales, I find that using scale length planks is much easier then trying to wrestle a full length plank into position.  And, if one is very careful, medium CA is my adhesive of choice.  I can hold the plank in position and not bother with planking clamps and long waits for the glue to set.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

If your kit says that it's an option, then I guess it is. With POB kits that isn't always the case. However, if you were double-planking the hull, scale length planks is always an option regardless of the type of build. And, even with POB kits where the bulkheads are appropriately spaced, double-planking the hull makes scale length planking easier.

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

I've already downloaded and read them. I'm sure to be consulting them often while I'm planking.

Current Builds:

Ahoy Mates :D

Although I agree that smaller planks are easier there is something to be said about getting off to a good start. I like to form a full length plank for the first one. Then I cut it into sections and install it. I find doing this helps to ensures a good line for the rest of the planks. On the planks that follow I find trying to fit a full length plank and getting a good seam the length of the ship much harder then doing it with smaller more manageable planks.

I don't get too hung up on the scale length thing though, just the pattern, run of the planks and the seams. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

First off, if you use "scale length planks, they need not end on a bulkhead.  You can always glue a block on the inside to steady the plank ends - a butt block.

Your planks are going to bend and twist from bow to stern, and getting one plank to do that and controlling it while you get it glued down is a real pain you can avoid simply by using scale plank lengths.

When you taper planks, or need to add stealers, that's also much easier to handle using scale plank lengths.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Greetings Grumpy,

Logically, I would think that lumber availability, size of vessel, typical planking practice for a specific time and place, and practicality would have an effect on plank dimensions. For instance, the time required to put a plank in place after steaming, with available work crew, would dictate maximum plank length. In addition, spacing of frames, proposed use of vessel, accepted ship building standards, etc. would also come into play. In other words, I doubt there is one hard and fast universal set of rules.

wq3296

For Niagara built where lumber was plentiful, 20 - 30 foot planks 6 or 8 inches wide on average.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Given the location and time period, Jerry has it nailed.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

According to the instruction booklet for the Niagara, a full-sized ship's planks were 20 to 30 feet in length. The 3/16 scale says that would be roughly 4 to 5 3/4 inches on the my model. There's other things to consider as well. The butt points need to be seperated from any butt in the rows above or below it by 5 or more scale feet. There also need to be 3 unbroken strakes between one butt and the next vertically. At least for the Niagara kit but the instructions indicate that it is a universal shipbuilding rule in the full-sized world.

Current Builds:

I guess my treenails are going to be a little bit bigger than scale. The smallest treenail diameter that you can make with a Byrnes Drawplate (which the Admiral has graciously allowed me to order when I'm ready for it) is 3/4" in 1/8" (1:48) scale, but the Niagara is 3/16" (1:64) scale. I don't think the difference is too much to be a problem though. I think the fact that I made 4 itty-bitty treenails and drilled 4 itty-bitty holes for each plank would be far more interesting than the fact that they are a few hundredths too big. Or am I getting far too ambitious for my first wooden ship build?

Edited by SgtSki in MI

Current Builds: