Constitution by Geoff Matson - Model Shipways 2040 - 1/76 scale

I made some progress on the foremast top. I try to do as much pre rigging off the model as I can. I am so afraid of breaking something. I will do the same for the mainmast top and mizzen mast top. Lots of knots and I am glad I have the third hand to help out. I posted a couple of pictures of the progress. I have a picture of the deadeye seized and done up. It looks like one big rats nest, but it does sort itself out when I rig the dead eyes.

IMG_0665.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Good to have you back. I look forward to your future posts.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

It is good to be back. I am really glad I documented all my work. It makes it much easier to pick up where I left off. After a weekend of tying knots for the top mast assemblies I remember why I don't like rigging. My next model will definitely be a admirality style. Happy modeling

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I've kit bashed my build by adding the gun deck. I now am in the process of fabricating 22 gun carriages (I've already have eight dummy guns) and still have to rig them all. I will be doing a complete carriage rig so, I understand how you feel.

Jon

Hi Geoff!  Found your Constitution build when you commented on Jon's build log.  Need to scroll back and catch on your 12 pages.  I am seriously thinking of adding Old Iron Sides to my shipyard.  From what I can quickly see, great work!  Pulling up a chair as you finish the rigging. 👍🏆

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

As I continue my rigging I have changed my plans a little. I have finished my top mast pre rigging. I now will proceed with rigging the lower shrouds on all three masts per the sheet plans. Then I will do the lower stays with the snaking. I still have to figure out how to do the snaking.  So far the only thing I wish would have done is leave off the bowsprit until I did more rigging. I think it would have made things a little easier.  I have to be careful not to break it off. 

IMG_0677.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I am making some progress on my shroud and ratline rigging. To keep everything equal, I am tieing the ratlines on both sides as I progress up the foremast. There are lots and lots of knots. I think I am getting a system with the clove hitch. The tweezers really help out a lot. One thing I found is that it is better to have a long line of thread to tie the knots. The short thread seems mohave mind go its own and goes where ever It wants. I usually go about five rows of ratlines and then double check them with my card and then set the knots with diluted white glue. (Elmer's). I also use just water with brush to help take some slack out of the lines. That is why I am doing both sides of the shrouds to make sure I don't get too much tension on the masts. So are it seems to be working. 

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Shrouds and ratlines look really nice, Geoff.  All those clove hitches are horribly monotonous, but once you get into a rhythm, especially with a couple tweezers rather than fat fingers, it moves pretty well.  Congrats on your success so far. 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

I finished my foremast lower shroud ratline rigging. Lots of knots and lots of time. I am happy the way it turned out. It is really a learning experience as I go. A few techniques I learned as I progressed is I wet the ratline line first and then tie the knots. The water on the line seems to make the knots set and stay in place better. Then I set the knots with diluted white glue after each row is done. I am working from the bottom to the top. I am leaving the tails on each end of the ratlines in case I need to make some adjustments. As you are working it seems easy to snag line as you work your way up. 

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0715.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

• 3 weeks later...

I finished up the ratlines on the lower shrouds. I am glad this part is over. I learned a lot on rigging the ratlines. First, make sure you use long lines to make the knot trying easier. Second, I used my rigging card as a sort of backstop when I tied my ratline. Third, I used diluted white glue to set my knots. This worked out well for making adjustments. Just wet the line to unglue them, make your adjustment and then set the ratlines with the diluted white glue. Fourth, I alternated from port to starboard to keep the tension on the shrouds equal. Fifth, if you have some slack in the shrouds, just wet them with water and will tighten up a bit taking the slack out. Sixth, when you put your eyebolts on the channels for your shifters, pay attention to where they go. My mainmast swifter eyebolts were to close to the shrouds, My foremast and mizzen mast swifter's were at the proper distance. Seventh, I made sure my tweezers were sharp and easy to help tie my lines. Overall, I learned as I went along and I am sure the next section of shrouds will go easier. 

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Sharp-looking ratlines, Geoff!  Well done! 🏆  And all great recommendations/advice!

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...

I have been mulling around how to make and install the beatnik shrouds on my Conny. I want to rig as much as possible off the model to make it easier. So far I have made the staves for the lower fore and main mast and placed them on the rigging. Now to make the hooks and rings and then rig them. I know this is gong to be harder than it looks. 

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

It all looks really good, Geoff!  I'm taking notes!  Great looking ratlines, sir.  Carry on! 👍

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to figure out how to do. the Futtock and Bentinck Shrouds. My biggest concern. is how to do it off the model. A little planning time is awaiting me. I have seen some solutions by other modelers. All worked well. I just need to figure out which will work well for me. It all looks easy on the plans. A few hooks, a few thimbles, a little thread, A ring, and figuring out how to place the attachment point between all m y cannon rigging. Oh well, Time to think about it.

IMG_0867.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I have come up with my plan for the Futtock and Bentinck shrouds. I did not like the kit supplied parts so I made my own. I made the hooks, and jumps rings out of wire, instead of hearts, I opened up some thimbles and used them instead. 

I can rig the futtock shrouds and the bentinck shrouds off the model. My connecting point will be the large jump ring. I will have two parts, on the top the futtock shrouds and on the bottom the bentinck shroud.

Each futtock shroud will have a hook, two small jump rings in the middle, and then a smaller jump ring on the end. There will be five of them on each side.

Each bentinck shroud will be attached to the waterway with a wire wrapped thimble with a lanyard in-between the two thimbles. The top end of the bentinck shroud will be seized to the large split ring. There will be two of them. One on each side of the model.

While on the model, the lower ends of each futtock shroud will be slipped on the large jump ring. 

My final adjusting point will be the seizing at the bottom of the bentinck shroud. Once it has been adjusted it will be seized with diluted white glue like the rest of the seizings.

I hope this all makes sense. Now all I have to do is make 20 futtock shrouds and 4 bentinck shrouds for the fore and main mast.

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Interesting solution, Geoff! Will be anxious to see the... two dozen results!  Good luck! 👍 

Gregg

Here are some photos that may (or not) help you.

bentnik shrouds 5.jpg

bentnik shrouds 6.jpg

bentnik shrouds 11.jpg

bentnik shrouds 13.jpg

bentnik shrouds 15.jpg

imageproxy.jpg

sailors-assigned-to-uss-constitution-climb-aloft-to-improve-seamanship-D47EF3.jpg

Great pictures. I am now troubled about the futtock stave. I know the pictures are present day and plans go back in time. I am trying to do this the easiest way. I wish I would have those three seamen on my model to do the job! The area on the shrouds by the top gets pretty crowed pretty quick. That is why I went with the jumps rings. I think it will give me a cleaner look  on the model. And in the last picture, the one with the three seaman and no futtock stave should make the ringing a lot simpler. But you can clearly see the bar on the shrouds. Well, it looks I might have to revisit my plan of attack. And the ring on the bentinck shroud looks like the futtock shrouds on th eiinside just loop back to the bar or stave area. I don't see I could rig that on the model. Again, thanks for the pictures. 

Happy modeling

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Just remember, it's a model, not a miniature replicate. Do what you think works best for the look you want.  Good luck and have fun!

Jon

I just found this "new" build log by Thrasher on Ships of Scale. He is dusting off a build that he's been working on and off for 10 years and is just starting the Bentinck shrouds. You might want to see what he is going to do.

Jon

Geoff, although I have not got to the point of adding the futtocks and cartharpins I did find a good explanation of how to to them on Glenn-UK's build log for HMS Sphinx, starting at post # 281 for the lower ones and #367 for the upper ones.

You are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Hello Schooner, Thanks for the help. I checked the log out and what a great build. It will help me when I do the mizzen mast. The tricky part about the Constitution is where the futon shrouds go through the rigging and end in an iron ring and the from the iron ring it goes down the bentinck shroud to the deck, I think I have it figure out. Thanks again for your interest and help .

Geoff

NRG member #2666

Geoff, although I have not got to the point of adding the futtocks and cartharpins I did find a good explanation of how to to them on Glenn-UK's build log for HMS Sphinx, starting at post # 281 for the lower ones and #367 for the upper ones.

You are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

Schooner, unfortunately you did not provide a link to the "Glenn-UK's build log for HMS Sphinx." I tried to locate it, but was unsuccessful. Would you be so kind as to indicate how to locate his build.

Thanks, Jon

Thanks Geoff, a very informative log! For those who do not want to search for the site, here is the link.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes when you don't post for several weeks, it doesn't mean you were not working on your model. In my case, it was several weeks of mistakes and figuring out how to do things. I decided to scrap several plans of rigging the futtock and bentinck shrouds on my Conny. After doing lots of research and viewing the pictures from the above posts by GSGerson I decided to go a different way. My main plan was to rig as much as I could off the model. When you view the photos on the real Constitution, the area of rigging under the fighting tops looks like a big spiderweb. Then if you figure in all the seizings it just looked clunky. 

I made all the metal parts using 28 gauge black annealed wire. My main tool was my needle nose pliers The end of my pliers was the diameter of my ring. There was a little learning curve, but it all went well. I even tried to simulate the serving on these parts with line. But, it was beyond my pay grade. I feel this gave me a less cluttered look and it looks more realistic. The real trick was to get these parts made and make them look close to scale. Please realize I have some paint touch up on the rings and metal parts. 

This is part one of the subassembly 

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666

I have finally made my goal. I can fully rig the futtock and bentinck shrouds off the model. All I have to do is fish the hooks through the ringing and attach them to the bottom of the deadeyes. Then glue the pin in the bottom of the bentinck rigging in the deck. And lastly use the seizing at the top thimble to make the final adjustment, glue it place with diluted white glue and snip off the end. Now all I have to do is make four of these subassemblies and I am good to go. 

IMG_0971.jpeg

Geoff

NRG member #2666