How to build a hull for a cruise ship?

Hello !

I usually build old ships,like the Victory.

My older brother and his wife has worked on the MS Seabourn star (former Royal Viking Queen) and

he would like me to build him a model of this beautiful cruise ship.

I don´t know how to approach this challenge....

What material I should use, and how to use plastic.

Does anybody has experience with this kind of build?

If you have any photos, ship plan, advice. Please do write me :)

Thank you in advance !!

Best regards

Philippe

If you go on YouTube and search for Building Cruise Ship Model you will see amny different examples from Legos to plastic to wood. Here is one that I found particularly interesting from England.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

before I would worry about the material to build from I would do research on the ship, getting a copy of the plans and what did it look like when he was on it.

the "as built" plans may not show the same ship he was on depending on what the ship line updated on the ship.

for example opening a deck and adding a pool.

also if you can not get the exact plans you may get plans for the "type" they may have built say 5 or 10 that are 99% the same.

and how large of a model are you willing to make / how large does he want ?  that will also impact what material to use.

when you know more details of the size and how it looked then that should guide you on using wood / plastic / metal etc....

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Hi guys,

Thanks for your first input. 

The total length has to be between 60 to 80cm.

I have been on the internet to find plans of the ship, without luck so far, Not even Taubman has it!

The german dockyard only build to of these ships, Seabourn Pride and Seabourn Spirit. Identical sisterships.

I have contacted Seabourn, but they are not willing to sell og show me their blueprints. The dockyard is out of business...

I am thinking building her with planks on bulkheads.

Actually, a great help could be to find a plan for a cruise line bulkheads in the same type as the Seabourn Spirit.

Have a good weekend !

One way to find plans as such, would be to locate one of the brochures they used to give travel agents that basically showed the cabins on every deck.  Some brochures even showed cross-sections and cut-aways. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You could deduce where the major bulkheads would be by looking at the cabin and public space layouts. However if you are looking for details of the crew spaces below the public spaces as well as the centralized corridors for crew only spaces, engine rooms, or bridge, these are generally not shown. However, usually the bridge is pretty easy to deduce looking at the ships profile.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Hi Rob and Mark,

I have been crawling the net..again..and wrote to the shipyard.

But just found out at they went out of business in 2009.

So, as you suggest, I will have to deduce the form of the hull.

For the decks, a precise interpretation of the pictures from the net is also the only

way forward.

Such a pitty, not to be able to find some documentation of this beautiful ship :(

I will try to make some drawings of my build, so other model maker can use them.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hope you guys are not freezing in the US :)

Philippe

Philippe

I did a quick Google search on the two ships you named and a massive amount of information came up.  It included a site  about both the Spirit and Pride showing deck layouts(see attached photo), etc. from which you can determine the shape of the hull quick easily. The site also shows many photos of the ships exterior.     

http://www.cruise-australia.net/Seabourn-Yachts-5.htm

Tom

post-30-0-76235900-1424543760_thumb.jpg

The quick and dirty approach would be to do wood, solid hull lamination - interior hollowed out - or not - using :

White Pine, Basswood, Yellow Poplar, or Tupelo.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Guys !

I have, finally, found a former captain from the Seabourn ship on Facebook.

He agreed to send me some plans from the ship, and i just received them.

It looks like the one Tom found on the net, but they are more precise with the correct dimensions.

Thank you very much all of you for your help :)

Best regards

Philippe (pilidk)

Philippe

Your solution proves the old saying has validity, where there is a will, there is a way!  Great idea that you had. 

I have seen some fantastic plastic scratch build models wherein (as I remember his explaining how he did it) the hull was shaped with pine or some such, then some type of opaque sheet plastic (may have been polystyrene) from the local hobby store was heat shrinked around the wooden plug.  He did the same for many of the upper works from what I recall and they looked remarkable.  Also knocked off a lot of weight when the wooden plugs are removed. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I used to be a member of the New Jersey Ship Modeling club, but I do not remember the name of the member that showed this.  You may want to PM Chuck Passaro as he is an active member of the club and may have a recollection, or if not, he can ask the membership.  I believe their  monthly meeting is tomorrow night.  It has been some years since I saw the technique so only the older members may remember.

Good luck

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I think Kees de Mol's "Antje" build of a Dutch trawler might be a very good reference for hull construction--maybe just the solid hull without the thermo-forming, depending upon your shop facilities...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8435-kw49-antje-dutch-sidetrawler-by-kees-de-mol-1959-scale-175/