Western River Steamboat Heroine by ggrieco - Scale 1:24 - 1838 as she appeared before hitting a snag in the Red River. - Finished

5 hours ago, dvm27 said:

For those of you who enjoy following Glenn's building log I'm sure you also miss his updates. Glenn's profession is actually building model ships (which should come as no surprise to anyone here) and he has been very busy trying to complete several projects and preparing for new ones. As much as he enjoys posting on this site, there literally are no enough hours in the day for him to do his job and keep us up to date on his progress. But he will return as soon as he gets caught up and wishes everyone the best. Perhaps it's not ideal when your hobby becomes your profession!

I would say it is ideal, as one would go to one's hobby instead of to work. In this case it's just a pitty we cannot enjoy his prowes full time/often. I would like to wish Gregg good luck in his endeavours, and hope he will find some space in time to treat us with his magnificent modelling feats.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 5 months later...

I realised I'd lost track of this build and was wondering what had happened to it - I was enjoying it very much. I hope Glenn gets the opportunity to get back to it eventually. It's a beautiful model and a fascinating build.

Steven

• 2 years later...

Here is the link to Glenn's finished model of Heroine.

https://nautarch.tamu.edu/model/report5/reconcomplete.htm

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Glenn, if you are still monitoring the site, I have missed your regular postings of this fine model; glad to see her in her finished state.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Does anyone know what becomes of these models that the Texas A&M Nautical Archeology Department builds?  Do they have their own museum or are these given to regional museums having some association with the vessel being modeled?

Eric,  The size of the paddle wheel in relation to the paddle box may shed some light on your question.  The paddle box is much larger than the wheel.

Roger

Roger,

The links for different projects (top bar of any given page) give some information on model destination. For example, the intro page for the Heroine project states:

In order to bring the wreck to the public, the OHS contracted with the Center for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation for model builder Glenn Grieco to construct scale models of the vessel. Based on archaeological discoveries that are supplemented by historical research, these models allow the public to appreciate the construction and propulsion of the ship. The Heroine models are displayed at the new Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City, surrounded by artifacts and displays that tell the story of Heroine and Red River navigation.

We're thinking about an Oklahoma/Texas road trip next year, and this would definitely be on the agenda.

As for the wheel, I definitely see what you mean, but I think that can't be entirely representative of later practice based on photos and drawings from the 1850s onward. Heroine, as an 1832 boat, definitely represents an earlier experimental stage in steamboat design. I don't think a later boat could handle that ratio of wheelhouse to wheel diameter given the known size of wheels. But point well taken, the model certainly shows a precedent for lots of space below the curved wheel housing.