HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

This is a good example though I would think that the window panes should be halved......more square with support in the center. I'm sure that strength is sacrificed with the larger glass.

Tom

The skylight itself is a very good design and goes with the time frame you are interested in. Don't forget the metal bars!!

Edited by ringbolt2013

Metal bars or some other form of protectionwould be used.  Glass owuld be expensive and hard to replace .

David B

Bars were used quite often even into the now.....a swinging block would smash a glass pane quick as lightning and patching it in the middle of a storm could be catastrophic.  Some kind of protection is a definite must. The bars on the Star of India are about 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) in Dia. and about 1 1/2 inches (38mm) apart.

You can hardly see them from inside.

Tom

Thanks so much gang. Yes tom learning lots.!

So I forgot about hours tally..

Adding 50 hrs approx.

I have my skylight done. The panes work out to about 5-6 inches scaled up.

I decided to use some 2mm glass I had. Looks ok and I know it won't yellow or become brittle as plastics may over time..

The metal bars equate to 0.1 mm at this scale so a detail that has to be left off I think. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-44849300-1395726111_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-54051300-1395726182_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-14668700-1395726256_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-64942500-1395726349_thumb.jpg

Brilliant work Ollie - first class in every respect. Yours is turning into the definitive model of Mermaid.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Looks the absolute business Ollie.. well jealous over here ^_^

Wots next, the Up & Down Stick Thing? or the Pointy Out the Front Stick Thing?  B)

Can't wait to find out Mate 'cos I know it will be superb !!

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks so.much.gang :) Eamm,. I'm doing that pointy out front thing. I.think it's for jousting... Delving into more unknown territory... Rigging!

I tapered the bowsprit and fitted into.the.groove at bow. Trying to.keep the angle low. Instructions say.about 5 degree rises.. Ollie

Nah Ollie that a big shish-kabab - your shout for the marsh mellows :)

Seriously though mate, your 'little' cutter is progressing very nicely - looks great with all the deck furniture and fitting in place.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everyone.. I decided to tackle these cleats... Made up five after work.. About an hours work.. I had some 3x2 walnut and it suited for a uniform stock.. I basically just Cyano glued them to the stock walnut as a template and used a sharp knife and filed and dremelled.. Pretty happy with the result... Added two to the stern davits. Small steps... Ollie

post-7066-0-06242700-1395818494_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-89404800-1395818523_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-93144300-1395818549_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-68917700-1395818581_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Thanks so much gang :) I have been planning masts and have shaped the bowsprit.. I have tidied some blocks, jeez they are a bit rough. But I can't throw everything out can I..;) only thing I can't tidy is some of the holes are way out, but they look okay when all done I think . Added hooks to a couple for anchor and such..

I decided tonight after two ales I shouldn't do any work tonight, I feel thats my limit, else it all gets messy :)

Eamm, my mess was evolving nicely, did a tidy up today and settling into the work zone.. It's ok.

Mast questions coming soon..:). Thanks for looking all.. Regards ollie

post-7066-0-32246300-1395998089_thumb.jpg

I'm your man for Mast questions Ollie.. No Worries !! I could spot them anywhere.. they're the sticky up things right? :huh:

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

So my first question regarding main masts and top mast and how they join..

Now the mast caps fitting... One hole is square and one round. Wondering if.top of main mast should be made square to fit or just checked into the mast at caps... Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-16839000-1396063449_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-15790100-1396063482_thumb.jpg

Ollie,

Cutter masting varied enormously from ship to ship.  Looking at the available contemporary paintings, the caps you have for the kit look reasonable, but remember that you need room for the spreader on top of the forward end of the lower cap.

I would guess that the topmast had a square heel and the lower mast had a square tenon worked into the top to take the cap, so the lower one would be square for the topmast and round for the lower mast with the upper cap being the other way around - square for the lower mast and round for the topmast.

John

The main mast at the doubling would be round during this time  surprised me, but I trust my source. There should be a notch to accept the spreader just in front of the topmast on the lower mast cap. You are going to need eyebolts mounted on the deck to accept halliards and toping lifts, 5 around the mast and 1 on both sides of the forward quarter of the main hatch.

I hope that helps some!

Tom

Thanks guys, helps heaps and makes much more sense now....

So I figured I should start on some minor rigging and have done up the catheads and anchor ropes... Wouldn't surprise me if there is some inaccuracies but I'm pretty happy with the result. I hope my anchors are sitting right..

I need to figure out what to tie off to considering I.have omitted the bitt heads.. Should I.just.add a cleat at bow where bitt would have gone?? last picture shows the kit diagram.

Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-82297900-1396154129_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-92562900-1396154151_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-96530400-1396154191_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-73542400-1396154228_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Sorry guys but have you ever tried to pull from underneath anything????  That rope should be coming off the top not going back thru to come up from below. You will find it looks much better and the lead is correct! After all you would be pulling from on deck!

The tie off should be on the back of the cat head..........possibly an iron bar thru it and not a cleat.  The Knight heads look OK too! Another possibility is a Kevel on the ribs??

Edited by ringbolt2013