MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Very precise work Nigel! I love the process, repeatable is successful :)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Thank you Nils,Bill and Matti :)

I was just thinking a similar thing yesterday Nils :D It kind of reminds me of tudor buildings,although the colour is wrong.

I am enjoying to able to spend some decent time in the shipyard Matti :) I agree the lines are fantastic,although there is still some refinement to do on the model,predominantly the stern which is still a plain block.I am deliberately leaving this until the counter timbers are in place which can only go in once this main gundeck is about complete.I could fit them earlier,but would make everything so much harder to access. 

I have succumb to temptation and done a little treenailing.I have decided to stick to the original plan and go for unblackened copper.This decision is based on the 'Russian Palace' influence I have going on with this model and is a direction I have been moving toward.I have not ruled out doing the decorations in black :o As I have got further on in this pastime,my taste has changed somewhat and I prefer the darker muted aesthetics of this style to the gilded or carved boxwood ornamentation that is commonplace.

I have posted this link before,but for me personally this is THE model ship and one that has had the biggest influence on my future style of modelling,but I shall post it again for anyone unfamiliar with it;

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/le_ambiteux/index.htm

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

she looks fantastic, i love the colours

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Can't take the credit for the beam idea mate,that is down to Mr Shevelev,I just thought it made so much sense.Cross checking dimensions and levels is soo much easier than trying to work inside a hull with loads of tumblehome ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have posted this link before,but for me personally this is THE model ship and one that has had the biggest influence on my future style of modelling,but I shall post it again for anyone unfamiliar with it;

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/le_ambiteux/index.htm

Kind Regards

Nigel

...some gorgeous work on that site...professional standards and art at its finest!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Can't agree more mate.His 74 won a gold at Sandown Park this year.I am gutted I didn't go,I was doing other things. Definately be there next year in the hope of seeing it in person.I will keep my ear to the ground to see who is going to be in attendance as I think this will become an annual roadtrip for some of the Russian masters.

Kind regards

Nigel

Magnificent Nigel. Except for the scale of the backgrounds I'd swear I was in a shipyard.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Great, greater, greatest !!!!!!!!

Beautiful Nigel !!!!!!

And she is big !!!!!

But a little tricky how you put her on the table.......

Sjors

Thank you very much indeed Joe and Sjors for your kind words :) Due to the solid timber below decks she is almost self righting Sjors :D Infact she is very heavy considering there is no metalwork on board yet :o I will put her on the scales when I get chance,just out of curiosity :D .

Kind Regards

Nigel

Now as promised,a picture walkthrough of the steps involved milling the 'grating' with backing spacer.

First a safepark position was created with the mill,a slot around 2mm to 3mm wide 5mm deep(the sheet is 6mm thick)All work is done with a 1mm milling cutter

post-1641-0-20235200-1414448507_thumb.jpg

Step two was to machine 1.5mm slots 1.5mm deep that will form the grouves for the battens to lay in.

post-1641-0-71268300-1414448508_thumb.jpg

Step three was to mill 1.5mm slots 5mm deep perpendicular to the batten slots.These are the gaps between the ledges.All slots had 1.5mm of material inbetween them i.e. the centre to centre distance is 3mm.

post-1641-0-94365100-1414448512_thumb.jpg

Finally the sections at each end were cut off to enable easy fitting of the overlength battens.Now also in this pic,because I was determined to have a go with this method to produce a finer pattern grating,is one with 1mm holes and 1mm ledges and battens.This was a complete success,not one chip to any of the nibs,although removing the sawdust was a very careful job with a soft brush.I think this is the way forward for Mordaunt's gratings although 1mm pear sheet for the battens will have to wait as my supplier of this is currently on their holidays :rolleyes:

post-1641-0-86514100-1414448509_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-49389900-1414448511_thumb.jpg

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

A valid point Brian,the main advantage to this method,aside from being authentic to the original is that you are only in effect producing half the number of necessary 'combs'.Trying to make crisp combs individually in Pearwood is virtually impossible,I did try,but the wood just chips away.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel for the thing how you make the gratings.

I think I bring you a visit to see how it goes  :D  :D

Put her on a scale now and when she's finished.

Maybe you need a crane then ?  :D

Sjors

Nigel,

thanks for the walk through.  I have been following along and you set a great example and supply terrific examples for beginners like me.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Nigel, nice work!

don't tell me abou heavy. At the moment I am enjoying the two hafls of L'Artesien whilst I am working on the gunport frames. But once the two part are together she will be around the 5 Kilo mark.

What are you paying for pear in good old England?

best regards

Tom

Tom

current workshop content:

L'Artesien, scratch

Le Rivoli, scratch

Thank you very much indeed Richard and Tom :)

I am glad you find my logs helpful Richard as this is the main reason I post.I feel I have to 'pay back' for all the tips and tricks I have learned from others :) I still have a fair few to learn myself ;)

Pear is expensive Tom,not helped that I buy mine already milled and thickness sanded.Yes I could save money buying from the merchant and milling my own,but at present I have no facilities to do this.As an example,a one metre board 9mm by 75mm works out about 30 euros in your money.With the ever increasing use of Ebony in my models,this sends the timber budget skyward,but I am hooked on incorporating it for more and more details.Unlike most,I really enjoy working with it,after 25 years working in the structural steel industry the associated mess from this wood is minimal compared to what I am used to :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel I tend to agree with you on wood changing everything.

My longboat project of Ebony and Holly was as much about discovery of those wood as the actual building process.

I find learning the personality each wood has very interesting indeed and understand your skyward budget issues, but honestly the wood is worth it.

The pear you have chosen makes your Mordaunt one of a kind, a gift all your builds share. 

I used my micro-motor for grating production so far but have recently invested in a Unimat SL1000 with the mill attachments and so I'm taking notes on your grating 101 course. It is funny that my first grating I cut with a razor saw and files. Toys are just too much fun though, and faster.

Thank you Keith :) Yes,I feel the costs are well worth it.I am prepared to have to order 'as and when required' to help me overcome this hurdle.That is another reason why Royal William is a slow long term build.No way could I afford to invest in a bundle of timber for the whole project as this will run into a substantial three figure sum.

I think we are both of the same mindset with Ebony,overcoming the challenges of working with this wood is as rewarding as the final result.

All the best with your grating production and your new toys,I had many years in this hobby with no power tools,but the toys just speed things up so much and help no end with consistency :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

A small,but possibly useful update :) Work has stopped on my deck 'treenailing' as I have now been waiting a week for some more drillbits to arrive :huh:

I have decided to start producing the deck clamps 'in the rough'.These are made from 3mm thick pear sheet and spiled,profiled and prebent where necessary to conform to the inside of the hull.This is not helped by the fact that the tumblehome changes direction right in the middle of these pieces.My plan is to make and bend the sections overlength and add the hooked scarph joints to the ends a little later.

I have started at the bow,a paper template was made for the shape and pieces cut to suit oversize in height and length.The top edge cannot be accurately established until the deck beams are dry fitted and the hull cutouts used as a reference.The angle of cut of the top edge also changes massively at the bow as the profile is in effect twisted.

I soaked the piece to be bent for three hours in water,then this was placed in the kettle and boiled up.The strip was first worked in my fingers to ease the bending process.The strip was then clamped to the inside of the hull and left for 3 days!!!!.Upon removal absolutely no spring back was experienced.The final job for now was to dish the matting face to suit the tumblehome.

The second one is now clamped in place and is resting for it's 3 days :o I will continue with something else for the rest of the weekend :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-96885700-1414877918_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-11017600-1414877920_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-98842000-1414877920_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-03452700-1414877922_thumb.jpg

Nigel. That is amazing shaping. I'm sitting beside a well boiled clamped piece at the moment but nothing as complex as that! Your craft and patience is a science to behold.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)