MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Grating construction pt2

I next glued battens into the notches in the ledges.The height of the battens was oversize as the tops would be milled off.I used aliphatic,with a drop in each joint rather than using dilute PVA,

When set,the top face of the gratings was faced of again with the miller,but still above finished level.Whilst on the mill bench,I trimmed the ends of the battens flush with the end ledges.

I have made the decision to carry out representation of all fastenings with copper.This was my original intention at the start and I have decided to stick to it.So now to the grating nailing.I have started drilling two holes at each intersection 0.3mm diameter.Unfortunately this must be done manually with a pin vise.Due to the drill diameter,I was unable to find anything adequately concentric and small enough to hold the drill in the mill or rotary tool.Into the holes I am bonding with CA 0.27mm copper wire.I have made a start in the pics,but you can appreciate it may be a little while before part 3 :D .The top face still has around 0.4mm of material to be removed so this should eradicate the glue residue.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-72344700-1413674259_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-15913100-1413674261_thumb.jpg

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you Matti and Ferit :)  and Ferit a valid question.The holes at the sides are not part of the grating,this section will be cut through.The holes in the middle appear a little out of square because the 'burrs' from milling have not been cleaned off.The direction of feed forms the rough edges on two sides of the hole only ;) .

Kind Regards

Nigel

In an attempt to address the poor picture quality above,I post a better quality example :D .Half of the nails fitted in one grating and trimmed flush(although the keen eyed will note I have one to redo as the copper was not inserted properly and dislodged whilst trimming).I have ordered some liver of sulphur gel,but I am sat on the fence as to whether to use it on these fixings.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-01591600-1413833792_thumb.jpg

Well I am not a happy bunny writing this :angry: Unfortunately whilst milling the grating face,some of the copper was 'dragged' out and resulted in grating destruction.

Progress on mark 2 gratings was dogged with further issues of timber splintering,mainly due to the small size of the 'tongues' I am trying to produce.This is not helped by the fact of using pear.I know I wouldn't have these issues with boxwood but then again,boxwood would not look right when everything else is pear.

I have avoided the common route of cutting grooves in a sheet and sawing strips off,because I know I will get charring on the pear from the saw cut.

Taking a break from this task and will continue elsewhere whilst I think of a better plan.Also as the copper fixings in the grating was a no go,this inturn means I am abandoning the use of copper fixings elsewhere.It really was an all or nothing decision for me.

Kind Regards

Nigel

If we only had the hours back, that we put into making pieces that did not work, we'd have 1/2 our time back but wouldn't have learned 1/4 as much.

Sorry to hear of the issues, they were looking so nice also,

I seem to remember a certain builder back several months ago that couldn't bend ebony... until someone helped out. Sometimes it takes another set of eye's and suggestions to lead to the elusive answer.

That pear is beautiful, where did you source it from?

Thank you for your support everyone :) If it was all plain sailing(no pun intended) then there would be no more challenges :rolleyes: I am more determined than ever to find a solution,but a break from gratings and some pause for thought is on the cards ;) I shall resume work on the main hull instead and apply coat nine of poly to the deck.

Keith I sourced the pear for this and Royal William from Dennis Nixon in the UK,AKA Twigfolly.com 

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Sorry to hear about that.  What some, like EdT do is build the gratings, mill/sand to shape for the deck curvature, etc.  Then drill and add the copper.  They then file down the copper and blacken it.  I think he sometimes does the last several steps (shaping, drilling and coppering in situ.  I'd have to go back and look at his Naiad to be sure.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you John and Mark :)

I will check out EdT's log Mark.The only issue with doing it in situ is the fact the upper grating will be visible underneath,this would mean ideally drilling blind holes.I have already thought of moving up to the next size of copper.This would enable me to use a 0.4mm drill.Which inturn would mean I could use the mill (with micromot chuck)and table to position the holes.Having studied tonight the pics of the builders model,I could actually go to a slightly wider(2mm v 1.5mm)ledge and batten as I have too many holes in my version.I still want to maintain 1mm square holes as this is about bang on scalewise,any bigger and it is a foottrap.Incidentally,the kit gratings have 2mm square holes!!!!!! :D  :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am learning so much at present, thankyou for showing your build and great photo's

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ok then,hopefully a more positive post.After trying the table saw route and more failures(the little nibs kept breaking of)I think I have it sussed.When in doubt,consult a book.After studying Frolich's method,it made a lot of sense when working with the problematic pear.Just a couple of tweaks to use the mill instead of a tablesaw.

So here we have Gratings mark 4?Part one.

A solid block 6mm thick was machined to follow the same pattern as what Frolich does.Basically the ledges are machined in the top face leaving some material acting as a backer holding them the correct distance apart.When the battens are glued and set,the rear face is sanded away leaving a complete grating.The important factor was the order of doing things to prevent the 'nibs' from being chipped.The block was placed in the mill so that the grain followed the ledges i.e.athwartships.1.5mm wide by 1.5mm deep grouves were then cut the right distance apart for the run of the battens.4mm deep by 1.5mm grouves were then machined perpendicular to these.These are the gaps between ledges.I have changed the gap despite what I said earlier to 1.5mm.This then matches the contemporary model,so should not look out of place.This process leaves the ledges attached to a backer which holds everything true while the battens are fitted.The fact that the final cut runs inline with the grain results in crisp 'nibs' with not chipping.I will take photos of the machining process for the next post,I didn't bother while making this until I was sure it would work :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-51123000-1414080557_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-41466100-1414080559_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-35164100-1414080561_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Gratings Mk 4 part 2

1.5mm wide battens were glued into the grouves and allowed to dry.I used alaphatic applied with a cocktail stick and excess was vigilently removed with a wet brush.When dry,the back was sanded off and the battens flushed off.I used a small disc in the Proxxon IBE to do this.Before final trimming and profiling I am going to apply two coats of heavily thinned matt poly to prevent any splintering.Mr Frolich does mention this in his book and seems like a good insurance policy.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-11553400-1414083855_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-57942100-1414083856_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-46927600-1414083857_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

By jove, I think you got it!!!!!!!!!    Well done, Nigel.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark :) Btw,I checked EdTs Naiad log,no nails in the gratings,Frolich does say at 1/48 they should be no bigger than 0.2mm.I wouldn't even know where to buy a drill that small,never mind drill more than two holes without it snapping,so that idea has gone in the scrap bin with the other gratings :D 

Kind Regards

Nigel

Crap.  My apologies Nigel.  I thought EdT did the nailing.   I'll go stand in the corner and write "check before posting" 100 times.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

As I am not working this weekend for a change,I have decided to concentrate on big structural stuff and leave the gratings for the limited time I have on weeknights.

After a thorough rub down of the poly on deck spirketing and gunports I have made a start on the deck beams.Incidentally,the varnished areas have now had nine coats of poly,'knocked back' every three coats.There will be another coat applied before using whichever treenailing method I employ,if any,flatted again and then the final coat.

For the deck beams,I have borrowed a method from Russian master Dimitry Shevelev.The beams slot through the sides of the hull.This allows the beams to be adjusted by shimming to ensure perfect deck alignment in relation to the gunports.Any adjustments become invisible when the final covering is applied inside and out.In addition to this,the deck structure can be built inside the hull and fine adjustment can be carried out to the hull sides before the beams are glued to the hull sides.

The plan is that all the plain beams are dry fitted,then removed to allow the deck clamps to be fitted inside the hull.The beam slots are then extended through the deck clamps to allow refitting of the beams.I know this joint will be historically incorrect,but would look identical from the outside although this area will be nigh on invisible on the assembled model.

I do anticipate that these beams will be fitted dry and removed several times,to allow the joints to be cut in them and to allow varnishing of the undersides before finally gluing in place.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-34744700-1414321545_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-19350800-1414321547_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-80380500-1414321548_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-30198900-1414321550_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-68447600-1414321552_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking Nigel,

the Color Play of the cerry stained parts and the light Color Wood, although it will be planked over later on, always reminds me of the structural sandstone Color Play of structural gothic cathedral- or monastery Buildings

Lovely work...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50