MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Thank you very much indeed mate :)  :) I would leave the copper in a natural finish.The lighting,if I go ahead will be using minibulbs,not leds.Run on half voltage they would give a soft,candlelike glow.This should provide very subtle lighting.The bulbs I use have a minimum lifespan of 16,000 hours so replacement would not be in my lifetime :D  :D  :D unless of course I didn't switch them off for the next two years :D  :D .

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Not a bad plan on the lighting, Nigel.  You can get very small LED's (I think 3mm maybe smaller) and by putting in the proper resisitor they can get really dim.  I put an external pot on mine and I can dim them down to almost nothing.  The nice thing is, with LED's is no heat. There's also some "flicker" setups here in both the articles and in a couple of the sub-forums for doing this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm late to the party in praising your deck planking, but let me add my admiration for your work. For what it's worth, I like the look of treenailing, but I would understand if you choose not to do it.

Bob

Nigel,

I've gone back to review your; After each plank is cut and tapered, black tissue paper is glued to one edge and one end..., along with all of the subsequent comments. I'm a bit confused about what kind of black tissue paper would be appropriate. Did you use black paper napkins? I want to try your brilliant idea on my next "under the table" project. Please don't spent to much time with this quire, but I would appreciate your advice. As usual...... 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael

I bought the tissue paper from WHSmith,I don't know whether you came across one when you were in the in the UK,but they sell books,magazines and stationary.The tissue is intended for use in present wrapping and comes in fairly large sheets.When I start the other half of the deck,I shall take some pics and post a mini tutorial,perhaps another week or so,I am just completing a few little jobs to bring the portside to the same stage as the starboard was prior to planking ;) It should look good on the Trinnidad cross section you have stashed ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Lighting sounds great mate, the effect can be really nice !

/Matti

I think the best lighting job I have seen is on a model of a Maersk anchor handler by one of the members from the OSV society.He used electronics to make the led striplights flicker on switching on to emulate fluorescent tubes perfectly as they 'start up'.Mind you absolutely everything else about the model down to the homemade fully functioning variable pitch propellers is astounding.Just search 'Maersk Master' on Youtube ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Thank you very much indeed Nick :)  :) I know what you mean,but I am the other way round,I automatically treenail everything :D  :D The only reason I paused for thought is that I need to order some more drillbits :D  :D  :D This pause had made me take a second glance :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Michael

I bought the tissue paper from WHSmith,I don't know whether you came across one when you were in the in the UK,but they sell books,magazines and stationary.The tissue is intended for use in present wrapping and comes in fairly large sheets.When I start the other half of the deck,I shall take some pics and post a mini tutorial,perhaps another week or so,I am just completing a few little jobs to bring the portside to the same stage as the starboard was prior to planking ;) It should look good on the Trinnidad cross section you have stashed ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel

Thanks that would be great. I'm sure that others will also find your tutorial super helpful, and informative.

YES WHSmith. We certainly visited those stores though preferred the one on Baker Street that was close to our flat. Oxford Street had the "big" one (:-). Trinidad would be the ginny pig....for your caulking technique.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nigel, I have been patiently waiting for your tutorial on deck caulking and planking. Have I missed it, or have you not posted it yet? :)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi keith

No not done it yet :D I will do it as soon as I start on the other half of the deck.I am getting minimal time in the workshop at the moment,so everything is happening very slowly :(  :(

Kind Regards

Nigel

I know how that feels Nigel - you are in good company on that aspect! Do your tutorial when you have both the time and the inclination - most of us will be patient ! ;)

most of us will be patient ! ;)

Yep, most of us ............. :P  :P

Please highlight most !!!!!!!

Not me  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought it was about time I blew the dust off this log :D  :D

Work has been 'hopping' about a little on the hull.I have been concentrating on sorting the exposed areas of framing.Because of the line of the main deck,various knees,beams and a black ebony waterway would appear in this window between the frames.Although this would be historically correct,I decided it would add a 'ramshackle' appearance to the build and looked for an answer.I decided that an intermediate layer of thin Pear planking from the deck clamp upwards would alleviate the untidy appearance.The basis of this layer has been added on the portside but will be completed when the deck clamp has been installed.On the starboard side are temporary ABS plastic strips tack glued with CA.These guide the fitting of the pear cappings between the open frames.These ensure a nice flow along the top and bottom of the cutout to match the edges of the upper wales.When overlong caps have been fitted and the aliphatic glue has dried,these strips are removed and the cappings sanded flush inside and out.The Aliphatic wood glue does not stick to the plastic.

The three rectangular holes in the hull are to receive the deck beams.There are many more to cut,I have just done these as they were so close to the cappings and also provide a reference point as these three beams delineate the hatchway opening and capstan.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-50972600-1406304397_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-34982300-1406304399_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-50902900-1406304464_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-74892600-1406304465_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-50845000-1406304467_thumb.jpg

Those lovely curves are back on stage Nigel,

I was missing your Mordaunt quite some time...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Buddy :) All was going fine on two wheels until middle of this week when I got struck down with a stomach bug :(  :(  :( On the mend now ;) .Looking forward to watch team Confidis put my bike through it's paces in tomorrow's T de France TT :D Ok well,not my bike,but the same model :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

I'm not sure what the vision you have for her is, but I like the way it's heading.   Lovely work, Nigel. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark :)  :) I did mention to Bob((Rafine) that I am seriously considering not including the armament.I really do like the appearance of the museum model and would rather the model was a display of woodwork and carving.I have put further thought in that I may stick to pear and ebony,i.e. produce the carvings in pear.The ebony would portray the black painted areas on the museum model.In addition to the norm,the main deck hatch combings and waterways are black on the museum model,I do like this feature and will represent this on the model.

I do now plan on leaving the remaining decks unplanked,but may include the decks in the main cabins to allow some interior detail,I quite fancy making some 1/60 furniture :D  :D .All other interior details will be shown,i.e. capstans,ladders etc.According to Franklin's book,as the anchor hawse holes are higher than the lower deck,the museum model shows raised wooden channel'guides' for these ropes.I will show these,but in the absence of definite material,they will have to be an 'educated guess'.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I don't know what to think about it but is looks......strange but very nice ?

Just what Mark is saying....the vision to me also is SF.... ;)

But we will see the end result !

Thanks Sjors :)

Yes you will see the end result :D  :D Truth is,I took a new job four months ago.Whilst the job is fantastic,the 80 mile a day commute and 74 hours a week out of the house through work isn't :(  :( .The house is going up for sale with a view to relocation closer.This means I have to be prepared to be without the large workshop and may be restricted to a kitchen table or spare room for some time.This is the reason for flitting between builds as I want to get the biggest mess making jobs out the way.I will then have a few years of fitting out,masting and rigging without concerns over space ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Geoff :)

At the moment I have hardly anytime for modelling or MSW :(  :( .I would much rather have the time and a much smaller workspace,afterall I haven't always had the workshop for the duration of the time I have been modeling.You never know,I may find somewhere with a workspace but I am preparing myself for worst case scenario :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Always look for the best Nigel,

If you have a spare room in the new house, you are one happy camper !

I know what I'm talking about because I have a spare room  :D  :D  :D

maybe you can ask Mobbsie for a house close to him ?

Then we can visit you also..... :D  :D  :D