MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

That's a fair point Bob :D  :D  Tried it when I was younger as my father was a keen golfer.Trapped nerve from a dislocated shoulder would ruin my swing now :(

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hey there Nigel, just spent the last half hour catching up on your Mordaunt, am looking forward to your carving results  :rolleyes:  no rush Mate I'm here all afternoon !! ^_^  ;)

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Can't promise anything before bedtime mate :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I have received a high res image from Janos by email ( thanks again ;) )which will help me no end.I have lot's of drawing work to do before I touch boxwood again for the carving.At the minute,carrying on with the otherside of the hull as I really need to replace my milling bit as it has seen better days now :huh: Thanks for your plethora of likes,oh poo just remembered I have to post an entry in name the ship :o  :o  :o  :o .

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update.Taking a fulltime job that was really too good to miss has slowed everything down to a painfully sedate rate :( .The rear section of the port side of the hull is now complete.Before continuing further and completing this I have got a little sidetracked :huh: .I wanted to 'prove' all my methods and theories regarding the interior.Having given my timber choices a great deal of thought over the past couple of weeks I have changed things a little.Basically everything will be pear and ebony apart from the ornaments.The hull below the waterline is in abeyance as to whether to go with box or pear,but pear is the current favourite.I realise my stairwell has been done in box,but I have the option to airbrush a thin brown wash on this to darken it.However when the stairs are fitted this will become almost invisible anyway.

First job was the waterway,this was milled using a 6mm dia ball cutter in the mill.The waterway is in sections joined together using single scarph joints.The 3mm thick spirketing is hook scarphed together,probably done too good a job on these because they are almost invisible :D  :D .The quickwork is simply 1.5mm planks.This takes me up to deck clamp level.There is a small gradual taper to add to the top of the quickwork to suit deck levels as it approaches the stern.This is easier to do on the model to ensure everything works out to the upper gunports.

Now the decking :huh: The central planks are parallel but from then on there is a for and aft taper to follow the waterway.Decking of this period has many similarities with the French method.I measured the width from the last parallel plank to the waterway at each deck beam position and divided by the number of remaining planks.This gives the required taper when transferred to the pear.The deck planking is sawn edge on from 6mm Pear sheet.This gave me the option to make it well overthick to allow for scraping and blending to the concave waterway.After each plank is cut and tapered,black tissue paper is glued to one edge and one end and trimmed flush when the alaphatic is in a 'green' stage.The top face is not so critical as scraping will remove any excess.The black tissue has been used on all joints,deck and waterway,up to the top edge of the waterway.The spirketing upwards features no caulking.

The pics are rather 'warts and all'.any funny discoloration is due to the copious amounts of water brushed on during the gluing process to remove glue seepage.This will disappear when everything is scraped and sanded.

Kind Regards

Nigel

P.S.Yes it just started to rain when I took the last two pics :(

post-1641-0-34203800-1401118525_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-58136500-1401118548_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-82644400-1401118572_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-84016800-1401118590_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-79073000-1401119183_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-15406100-1401119200_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Wow that pear wood does look the biz Nigel, seems to produce a lovely sharp edge.  The Black Tissue is wonderful too (gives a very subtle appearance)

All The best Mate

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Nigel, Great job on the deck . I will have to try black tissue as caulk. "it's Brilliant "

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks mate :) Yes it has a nice warm hue to it when finish is applied.It can be a pain to work with as the add piece has some wacky grain pattern to it and has resulted in a couple of planks hitting the recycling :D The tissue I am more than pleased with,it gives the sharp line but not quite as wide as paper.the strength issue is also sorted as I glued the waterway sections together into one length and fitted and bent it as one piece!The deck laying process due to the tissue and tapering is ridiculously slow,but I am confident worth it in the long run.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you Pete :) I am feeling chuffed to actually put an idea into practice that nobody else to my knowledge has done before :)  :)  :) As I said to Eamonn it is a slow process and much care is needed,but the results seem superior to other methods.When I have a little time,I will post a little tutorial on using it as the techniques differ a little to using paper due to the very delicate nature of the tissue.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel, in the long run it will look fantastic, so I think that its worth the time involved, I will deffenitly try this method in the future.

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Just a couple more pics to illustrate the 'tissue technique'.There is still a fair amount of scraping to be done,the dark spots are low spots.Just gave what I had done a light scrape to tidy things up as work progresses.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-94346300-1401131714_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-75115600-1401131741_thumb.jpg

Sweet work on the planking, Nigel.  I'm considering your method as an alternative to the darkened glue. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you very much indeed Mark and Matti :)  :)

I know some very notable modelers Dr Mike included advocate colouring the glue Mark.To be honest the idea fills me with some trepidation.First off is the glue will conform to any irregularity in the plank edges,but more so is Pear is like a giant sponge and can't help but think bleeding issues may occur.I can understand it working with Boxwood as this has minimal absorbency and is a very different animal all together.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Stunning work on the deck Nigel. Robert (j21896) used Swiss pear for his superb deck on HMS Mars. I sure do like the look and colour of this wood and the black tissue for caulking is a very clever touch.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thank you very much indeed Alistair :)  :) I am glad that I have moved away from my preferred boxwood for the deck.It was upon seeing a fine model of la Salamandre on other site by a professional French builder that made the decision.The warm glow of the finished pear against the ebony swung it for me :D  :D The only boxwood used was for the carvings.I am hoping that any dramatic colour variation will be toned down with the shellac(another first and learning curve for me :huh:  :huh: ).

Kind Regards

Nigel

Have to agree with the others Nigel, that deck looks REALLY nice. Your tissue paper technique is interesting and appears to work very well indeed.

NIgel,

Your planking work is so excellent. Those wouldn't be English rain drops falling on your deck would they? How well I remember, and miss the four seasons (:-)

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much indeed Michael for your kind words :)  :) Sadly the distinct four seasons of my childhood has now been replaced by a few sunny days around Easter and variable weather for the rest of the year featuring lots of rain :(  :(  :( I live in hope of the heatwave of 76/77? :huh:  :huh:  :huh: but don't miss 6ft snowdrifts :D

Kind Regards 

Nigel

Thank you very much indeed Brian :)  :) .I am still plodding along with the deck,hope to have half of it laid by the end of today.Tapering the deck planks adds a mountain of time to the work,but I am more than happy with how it is shaping up.The difference in caulking between this technique and say pencil will not really show up until I apply some finish.

Kind Regards

Nigel

First of all thank you for your interest in my post on Amaro Pargo.

As a result I thought I would return the compliment and I have read this log through and I have enjoyed your progress.

I especially like your way of handling questions on your techniques and I look forward to seeing this build to completion.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Thank you very much indeed Mark for such a nice post :)  :)  :)  :)  :) I did find your thread very interesting and the pics were great.

I think with building models like most things,nothing is black or white or right or wrong.There are many methods to achieve the desired result and I try to demonstrate why I chose one particular technique over another one.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

After a little absence,I have something of an update.Aside from very little time,my broadband connection is giving me grief :angry:  :angry: Either lightning fast or more commonly working at a snails past.I shall contact my provider and give them what for when in the right frame of mind.

Anyway,half the deck planked,given a scrape and light sand and then a couple of coats of poly to prevent glue marks whilst working on the other side.I have moved away from shellac as firstly,I like the variation of tones and secondly it means I can use my acrylic ageing techniques should I choose.I am ,due to the pleasing appearance,considering NOT treenailing and risk spoiling the effect.

The other side of the hull is now built and shaped so my next job is to sort the upper gunport frames on this side.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-13410700-1402758541_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-77858800-1402758554_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-02223500-1402758577_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-09735100-1402758587_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-25820800-1402758610_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-61232600-1402758633_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-33648800-1402758652_thumb.jpg

Nigel....what truly amazing results you have achieved with the decking. Wow! I have got to give the tissue caulking technique a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Nigel, The deck looks Awesome ( nice caulking job) beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thank you very much indeed Dave for your kind words :)  :) I shall post a mini tutorial in due course.it is fairly self explanatory,just a couple of things to watch for that may not be the case when using black paper.The best thing is that with things like scarph joints is that one continuous piece can be used instead of different pieces for each face,like you would do with paper.

Kind Regards 

Nigel