MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Thanks again Sjors :)

Kinda hoping on a spare room,to be honest there are plus points to being in the house,the workshop can feel a little solitary at times :( .Unfortunately I am moving further North,further away from Mobbsie,but thank you for the nice offer :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Buddy :)

I am pottering along at a sedate pace,but try to get a little done,no matter how small it is still a step in the right direction ;) I did focus more on Norske love last weekend but will focus more on Mordaunt's deck planking this weekend(in between appointment with estate agent and cleaning/resanding driveway :o )

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Happy birthday Nigel,

I wish you all the best for your new living year and much power and fun for your fine modeling. Enjoy your special day

(your PM box seems to have run over)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Many happy returns

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Hi Nigel,

I was missing your Progress on the wonderful "Mordaunt" hull, is there a Holiday on ice in the Moment ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you Nils :D  :D  :D I am working on Mordaunt as well as Royal William ;) There will be an update when I have reached the point of symetry and new things start to happen.I can't believe how long it takes to lay a deck with curved and tapered planking :huh:  :huh: Just three plank runs left to finish the deck now,but at around four hours per run and limited time on an evening,things are slow.I have also decided how I am going to make the scratchbuilt pear gratings so they will feature in the next update ;) I just have to decide whether to go for Ebony or Pear combings,the main deck will feature profiled Ebony combings to match the black ones on the contemporary model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thank you,

that sounds great and interesting to see, will be watching out for...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was about time for an update as the last one was several months ago :huh:  :huh: .

I have fitted the waterway and quickwork to the other internal hull face and completed the planking of the deck.I am currently completing  the exposed frame finishing pieces and working on the deck finish.I anticipate many coats of poly rubbed down every three coats.This gives a glass like surface as whilst I wish to see joints in the woodwork,I don't want to be able to feel them.

I feel these pictures may be a little on the red side.The pear is definitely brown with no hint of red,trouble is outdoor daylight pics are hard to come by as its dark when at home during the week and we have had some awful weather on the weekends :(

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-40033900-1412801071_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-10984000-1412801073_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-73715200-1412801074_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-31717400-1412801076_thumb.jpg

Thanks mate! :) The photos don't really do the colours justice :( I just wanted some pics of this stage as the next update will be too far along otherwise.

Favourite,mmm,probably not because each are different in their own way.The one that has drawn me in the most is probably Royal William,but I am deliberately holding back as I want the others to move along at a faster pace ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Brian,I did take a chance on the variation of tones.On Caroline,I batched the Pear into two shades,one for above and one for below the wales.Doing this resulted in an enormous amount of waste,so I decided to let the 'quirks' of the pear show and I am pleased with the result.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I've spent a better part of a day reading/studying this build log. Beautiful work to say the least. Everything from replacing the bulkhead upright timbers, to using complete filler blocks is so well thought out.

I love the natural color pallet. I do agree that too many different woods would make it busy. It will be exciting to see the transformation when the ebony is added to the mix :)!

What do you think of ebony treenails? Might be interesting to try on a sample piece ;)!

Whatever you do, it will be superb for sure :)

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Nigel,

Now that was an update (;-) As expected continued superlative work.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around just on build, you're my hero......

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Gosh,thank you very much indeed everyone for your kind comments :blush:  :blush:

Ebony treenails is an interesting thought Bill.The only issue would be the short grain structure,I think it would not work too well in a drawplate,but I maybe wrong.Boring treenails with the hypodermic needle technique may just well work.Marsalv illustrates this technique in his new scratchbuild log if you are unfamiliar with it

No flash used Ferit,so it can't be that :huh:  :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice progress Nigel! I wish I would be there yet. Still way to go for me.

How are you getting on with pearwood for planking? I only used it for carving so far. How does it behave when you are bending it.

Does it discolour when you steam it?

best regards

Tom

Tom

current workshop content:

L'Artesien, scratch

Le Rivoli, scratch

Thank you very much indeed Tom :)

Pear is a joy to work with.I have steamed it,but find a quick soak in water is enough for all but the tightest of bends.It does have a good degree of natural bendability pretty similar to boxwood but it is much more absorbent so steaming or soaking is a much quicker process.

Kind regards

Nigel

Grating construction Part one.

Not only do I want to produce  more historically accurate gratings,I wanted to produce them in Pear to match the rest of the model.As far as I am aware A.Banarov is the only producer of grating kits in Pear but ordering some gratings from Odessa would be a bit extreme,even for me :D

I decided that the ledges and battens would be 1.5mm wide with holes 1mm square.This gave a scale hole size of 60mm by 60mm.The way I have decided to produce these should enable scale holes for Royal William by adjusting the centres I work to on the miller.

The first step was to make some sacrificial jigs.These comprise of some mdf cut to a suitable size to allow easy clamping on the miller table.On to this I bonded some pear strip machined with 1.5mm wide slots at 2.5mm centres.

post-1641-0-57467500-1413567950_thumb.jpg

The next stage was to bond some 1.5mm by 2.5mm pear ledges into the slots.When dry the top was faced off in the miller and then perpendicular slots machined 1.2mm deep into the ledges.The gratings will be thinned in depth further when the battens are glued in place.Keeping everything oversize to start with,eliminates any deflection of the ledges whilst machining.It is my intention to curve the assembled piece after assembly and removal from the jig as everything will be far too thin to allow the curved face to be sanded on.

post-1641-0-60236200-1413567952_thumb.jpgpost-1641-0-41591500-1413567954_thumb.jpg

To be continued

Kind Regards

Nigel