Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Hey there, Cap'n! Looking forward to following your work.

I've read quite a bit on Bligh and the mutiny - incredible story no matter which perspective you look at it.

I've been slowly getting books, materials and building skills for making figures, as well. I've been leaning toward working with polymer clay...soft until you bake it at low temperature. If you're interested you may want to check out the book, "Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay: Tools and Techniques for Sculpting Realistic Figures". I also hope to be able to sculpt decorative work on my models using this same material. One day...one day...

Kind regards,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Ahem ....

On the first day of the build (but not the first of the build log), the assembled masses cried out unto CaptainSteve:

"Give us Glue Action !!", they demanded.

And so CaptainSteve didst comply ...

post-675-0-30746200-1393686313_thumb.jpg

But the masses wouldst not be satisfied so easily ...
"There shall be planking", they said. "With what shall you hold it in place, for you have but five fingers ??"

And thus, CaptainSteve undertook an adventure to the hobby store, whereupon he were to purchase planking clamps, two packs
thereof, $12.50 per pack of six.

Thence, he didst undertake to assemble the rotten little things.
"Arr ... these be a right PITA !!" he did declare-eth.

post-675-0-97053100-1393686367_thumb.jpg

Next, the horde didst shout-eth, "Cut something !!"
And again, he relinquished unto their request, saying "I name thee Rabbet."

post-675-0-80904300-1393686327_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-78342500-1393686342_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-32705000-1393686359_thumb.jpg

Still the gathered throng wanted more ...
"We demand sawdust !! You must make us sawdust", they hollered and didst yell-eth.

"Arr !!", CaptainSteve did reply. "Nay. Tomorrow be Sunday, and I must go forth to see the man known as CaptainAndrew.
I must partake of his barbecued meats, drink-eth his beer, and swim in his pool. For 'tis summer time in Australia, and it
be bloody hot !! Your sawdust can wait !!"

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I've been slowly getting books, materials and building skills for making figures, as well. I've been leaning toward working with polymer clay...soft until you bake it at low temperature. If you're interested you may want to check out the book, "Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay: Tools and Techniques for Sculpting Realistic Figures". I also hope to be able to sculpt decorative work on my models using this same material. One day...one day...

Kind regards,

Gabe

Good luck with your sculpting, Gabe !! I wouldn't even attempt to do something like that. My human sculpture would have more resemblance to Jabba the Hutt than William R Bligh.

When the time comes, I reckon I will go with Joe's idea and buy some kind of figurine, manipulate it into position and clothe it.

this is all A Waltzing Matilda, and Down by the Billabong stuff to me them there Auaszis  any thing but work  sittin in the sun nothin much to do /////robin b ps .but well done looks good

So, are you saying that we are a nation of slackers, Robin ??

Just for that, I'm taking the day off on Monday !!

In fact, the whole state is - it's a public holiday. Looks like you guys will get your sawdust very soon.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You are good at becoming a showman.  I like your style and presentaion.  Now for the main act. 

David B

Just a quick note before heading off to lounge in the pool and feast upon barbecued goods ...

More glue action ensued early this morning with the joining together of the keel pieces. While lining these up against Sheet 2 (as per the instructions), I noticed a discrepancy between the Stern Post piece and what is show on the plans:

post-675-0-32811300-1393727170_thumb.jpg

Anyone else notice this with their kit ?? 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hmm, must say that I did not notice that! I just checked my build log when I was at the same stage of the build, and you are absolutely correct! 

post-1526-0-05513700-1393742695_thumb.jpg

When it is built up, there is a noticable gap between pintle and gudgeon as well: 

post-1526-0-12882700-1393742717_thumb.jpg

It's something I missed. Damn, that means that from now on i'll keep seeing it. If you are going to paint the bottom half of your boat, now might be a good time to fix it. A scrap piece of wood, some woodfiller, and some paint, and you would never know it's there. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Aussie!  Aussie!  Aussie!

And today's award for most unique way of writing a build log goes to ...... CaptainSteve!

*the crowd goes wild*

I will grab my sanga and open a beer and wait for your next post with anticipation :)

Oh Dear !!! My head hurts !!!

I woke up this morning on CaptainAndrew's couch with a throbbing head-ache and a sprained ankle.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it once again .... I am NEVER eating pizza AGAIN !!!

(At least, I am fairly certain my current predicament was due to the pizza.)

As for the sprain, I imagine the late-night run to the store for more Jack Daniels may have been the cause.

Sorry guys and gals, not much will be achieved today. Just the sound of typing on my keyboard is hurting.

Arrr ....

:(  :(  :(

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

No No not , not slackers ,no no lasy,no its just the thourt of you being dizzy do ing a bit of work with all them there Corks dangling from yer Hat thats really be- mussing , do tell me do you lot take em of to go to bed .robin b, ps looking good shall enjoy this, asuming I live long enof to see the end

Robin, 

I believe there is some form of protocol that says if your bed-partner is wearing a hat with MORE corks on it than your own, then the person with less corks has to remove their hat.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

When it is built up, there is a noticable gap between pintle and gudgeon as well: 

It's something I missed. Damn, that means that from now on i'll keep seeing it. If you are going to paint the bottom half of your boat, now might be a good time to fix it. A scrap piece of wood, some woodfiller, and some paint, and you would never know it's there. 

Sorry for bringing that to your attention, Keith. I know from past experience that my models have enough mistakes that I am aware of without the need for someone to point out even more !!!

I thought about leaving it as is and just raising the lower pintle/gudgeon assembly a couple of millimeters, but I'll have a go at filling the gap as you have suggested.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Is the cutout for the prop?? :P

(as Harvey ducks and runs. . . .)

Prop ?? I thought boats of this type and era were fitted-out with inboard thrusters !!

Arr ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ahoy, Crackers and welcome aboard !!!

I dunno if I'm going to crew my Launch with all 19 sailors who were cast adrift. I really think having that many people will just cover up all the details. 

(Of course, if I FUBAR the planking etc, then maybe I'll need a few extra bodies to hide my mistakes.)

As for your U-Boat commander .... umm, Thanks, but no thanks !!

:pirate41:

(Oh yeah, I don't drink Fosters. I don't think I've ever met any Aussie who will admit to drinking Fosters. I suspect the Panther Pee of which you speak would be a considerable improvement over Fosters.)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Here's the fix to the stern-post all done. Now it actually follows the plans:

post-675-0-02240200-1393932821_thumb.jpg

Doing it the easy way, I simply cut the piece of frame from the kit template where the stern-post was originally attached. This meant not having to cut the curve where it joined the stern-post.

Then I just trimmed the piece back to get the right length.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice fix! Now make sure there is enough space for the gudgeons and pintles before you move on!

(edit) In the real boat, the rudder would have been unmounted when the boat is stowed. Most likely the gap exists so that the rudder can be slipped out. Make sure you have enough space for this.

Edited by Amfibius

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith,

When I first read your post, I thought to myself "That's silly. Of course it will fit !!"

But, then I pulled Plan Sheet #3 ...

Get this: The opening for the lower pintle/gudgeon on THIS sheet is the same as the stern-post BEFORE my fix.

Arrrgghh !!! Ya just cannot win with these kit designers !!

No matter. There IS enough room for the pintle assembly (and, in effect, BOTH of us will be correct, so stop fretting when you look at your model !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You're storming ahead of me, Alde. Your planking is coming along nicely.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well Steve, it's coming along but it's far from perfect. I deformed the garboard strake on one side with too much pressure when clamping it to the form and keel. The other side is a bit better. It's been a great learning experience so far and it will carry over to future projects. I am painting the outside of my hull so it should all be fine with a little filler.

You probably know this already but the mistake I think I made was not fitting the plank ends into the rabbit better. I should have trimmed them to follow the curve more closely. They would have layed down better. I will take some close up pictures later and post them on my log. Getting them to bend to the twist and the curve at the same time really takes some persuasion even after a 6 hour soak with water and amonia.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Oh Dear !!! My head hurts !!!

I woke up this morning on CaptainAndrew's couch with a throbbing head-ache and a sprained ankle.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it once again .... I am NEVER eating pizza AGAIN !!!

(At least, I am fairly certain my current predicament was due to the pizza.)

As for the sprain, I imagine the late-night run to the store for more Jack Daniels may have been the cause.

Sorry guys and gals, not much will be achieved today. Just the sound of typing on my keyboard is hurting.

Arrr ....

:(  :(  :(

Ah.... you did it right.  :)

Yer boat be looking great, lad!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hangovers are never any fun. Just use a glass of alkazeltzer and a glass of tomatoe juice with and egg in it..

David B

The hang-over has long passed and the ankle is almost 100% again. I should be running marathons any day soon ...

Surprising, since I've never run one in my life.

The stem piece has been tapered. The taper could've been a little sharper, but it will suffice.

(To others who follow, might I suggest scoring the taper lines with a scalpel/razor knife first)

Looking forward to getting back to my Launch now that the weekend is here again. I am rostered to work tomorrow morning (Saturday) - we have to do 1 in 6 - and then I'll get right onto fairing the bulkhead formers BEFORE attaching those little sticky-out bits (the Sheer Tabs) - as suggested by Alde - and then look to putting the framework together.

So, your sawdust IS coming (I haven't forgotten) ...

:pirate41:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You will be pleased to learn that CaptainSteve has mostly recovered from the injuries inflicted upon him by the evil pizza delivery company of the previous week (at least, he is fairly sure his misfortune was due to the pizza !!).

Fortified against further attacks by renewing the alliance with his friend, Jack Daniels, he has vowed to continue forward with his mission.

In his quest to bring the Holy Grail of SawDust unto the assembled crowd, he hast taken upon himself the twin tasks of tapering of the Stem piece, as well as the fairing of the many mould formers.

post-675-0-44309600-1394286990_thumb.jpg
post-675-0-03338300-1394287009_thumb.jpg

“All is now faired in Love and Boat-Building !!”, he did declare.

(And with that, CaptainSteve didst offer up his gratitude to the One known as Alde, for twas his suggestion.)

Thusly, with these battles now behind him, our hero was able, finally, to present the precious Vials of SawDust unto the slavering masses.

post-675-0-29593400-1394287016_thumb.jpg

“Not before Time !!” didst the horde mumble.

But then they were heard to add, “Is that all ??”
“Nay !!” he didst reply, “For I have also dealt a savage blow unto future mis-alignment by a-fixing the Sheer Tabs to their rightful places upon the moulds.”

post-675-0-80046500-1394287028_thumb.jpg

“Indeed, whatsomore, I have unto the moulds added many temporary tabs of my own making, the better to fortify the positioning of the cherrywood frames which the Plans have long foretold must come.”

Further, to assist with that which still faces him, CaptainSteve applied wax of the purple scented candle unto the edges of the mould formers, declaring:
“This be to allow the frames an easy departure from the formers, also as foretold by the Plans, whence the time doth cometh.”

post-675-0-90393600-1394287051_thumb.jpg

Having thus done as much as he could, he thence didst state:

“I must rest !! The better to allow construction of the Building Jig on the morrow.”

"But, first, a gift ... brought to me across the oceans from the faraway land of Tasmania."

post-675-0-34612300-1394287073_thumb.jpg

“’Tis called Tasmanian Blackwood - veneers from my Father.  For I feel these could be used to make most excellent thwarts and trims for my Launch !!”, was his parting comment.

And, with that, CaptainSteve didst retire for the even-tide.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Dave,

Not entirely certain at this point. It's such a beautiful wood that I felt it needs a place in this build.

I'm thinking the bench seats (thwarts) for now, but am open to suggestions.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)