Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

BTW, I enjoy reading your log. Can I join horde ?

Thanks, Nenad.

You are most welcome to join the horde !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

With my embarrassing error now fixed, all that remains with the planking is to fit the shutter planks. Despite the claim in the instructions that the supplied planks are over-sized, they are actually too narrow to fill the remaining gap. Thus I will be requiring stealers. Odd that I recall Keith needing stealers, but don't remember Alde mentioning them. 

This presents a problem in that I will have to find some scrap wood large enough to use. I have plenty of pieces from the templates, but not many of these are big enough to work. Thus, I'll need to search out some appropriate pieces to be shaped to fit. Another option is that I have plenty of left-over planking wood in Davy Jones' Locker - but it is a lot thicker than the planks on the Launch. So they'd need to be sanded down to the correct thickness first.

Also, due to it being football season, work will be slow this weekend, as my team is playing against CaptainAndrew's team. Therefore, as his television is MUCH bigger than mine, Friday night will be spent at his place consuming various substances and watching the game.

(But, this time, NO pizza !!!!)

Arrr ....

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You had best stay away from that pizza. We all know what it did to you last time.

No stealers on my hull. It's pretty strange that some need them and some don't.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I didn't add stealers, but my shutter plank was too narrow. I made a new one from a sheet of basswood of the same thickness.

Gettin' close, Alde.

Things have been a bit hectic at work, lately. By the time I get home, chores outta the way and I log on to MSW to check out everyone else's work each night, there ain't enough time to work on me Launch.

But, once the stealers are done, I'll plank the transom using the same distressed wood, then a quick sand-down and some touching up to ensure the planks are even in colour (some of the later ones are a bit darker, but I can fix that.)

THEN ... off she comes !!!

Incidentally, I'm toying with an idea to replace the white waterline ...

Am thinking of marking out the shape with a stencil from the plans, but colouring it with flecks of white paint, to show where the waterline used to be.

I'm hoping this way it will be apparent, without covering up the distressed wood look which I worked so hard to create.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

By the way, a question ....

Do I do the tree-nails before or after the boat comes off the building jig ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just a quick note to say that I'm still moving forward. One side (port) has been completed. This side just required the stealer to be shaped and added to the supposed over-sized shutter plank (Hah !!)

The other side (starboard) has proven to be a PITA !!

With the spare planking wood I had available to me, even adding a stealer left a small gap. Thus, I had to improvise by making my own shutter plank AND stealer.

Tonight after work, the THIRD attempt was ripped out and replaced.

This finally looks to be a good fit, although will require some cleaning up and distressing of the two planks to make them match the rest of the Launch.

Other than numerous reworkings of these remaining planks, I have distressed some thin veneers to plank the transom, and painted one strip in Dockers colours to match my sheer planks - thus allowing me to cover-up the unnecessary TRANSOM stamped into this piece. These will be added once I'm (Finally !!) happy with my planking.

An update to the Adventures of CaptainSteve is coming soon !!

PS: CaptainAndrew's team lost dismally to mine this past weekend. I reckon they showed up thinking we were gunna play FoosBall ... and not Football !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I think we can truly leave Football out of any further discussions!

Can I trouble you to explain what you mean about distressing the thin veneers, and planks?  I am guessing it is something much more useful than just calling them names until they are upset and cry?

I think we can truly leave Football out of any further discussions!

But why would we wanna do that ?? 

Can I trouble you to explain what you mean about distressing the thin veneers, and planks?  I am guessing it is something much more useful than just calling them names until they are upset and cry?

Most certainly, Bindy !! In fact, I took a few pics that I was going to post to show my method ... just in case anyone actually cared to know.

Okay ... so here goes:

Starting with a new plank, I use a razor knife to cut a series of uneven lines along the length of the plank. (1)

Then, using a sharpened HB pencil, I highlight those cuts. This fills the depth of the cuts with "grain". (2)

(I find it necessary to keep sharpening the pencil)

Then, using the side of the pencil, I colour the whole plank with the same pencil. (3) This gives residual "grain" markings.

post-675-0-38734000-1397134955_thumb.jpg

Using an eraser, remove the vast majority of the coloured-in pencil. (5)

With the pencil lead in the razor knife cuts, and residual lead on the plank, this will leave the distressed grain. (4)

Now, paint the whole plank with wood stain. (6)

post-675-0-75590100-1397134963_thumb.jpg

Once the stain has dried (leave AT LEAST twice the recommended drying time !!), sand the planks down, taking off most of the colour, leaving your distressed plank.

This shot was taken from my Launch ...

post-675-0-24628500-1397133851_thumb.jpg

Of course, you COULD try calling them names until they cry !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

By the way, a question ....

Do I do the tree-nails before or after the boat comes off the building jig ??

Sorry, missed your question. I recommend you treenail after it comes off the building jig.

You need to drill out the holes for the treenails. I have seen two methods on MSW to do this. The first is what I did - drill them out from the inside. The problem is that you have to keep your drill perpendicular to the frames at all times - not easy when they are curved like that. 

The second method is to place your model in front of a light source so that you can see the frames through the hull, and then drill the holes from the outside. I saw this on someone else's build log (might be Alde's?). This might be easier. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks, Keith.

Good to have you back and watching over me. Incidentally, I have discovered another method of tree-nailing which I am considering. Yet another MSW builder used a cut-off hypodermic needle to simply score the tree-nails. Perhaps the syringe was even filled with stain which was then pushed into this scoring (can't recall).

Gotta say that I really like how yours show up on the interior of your Launch ... however, as my Launch shall now be painted inside, this hypodermic method will be worth trying out on some test-planks. 

(Not looking forward to asking my local pharmacy for a "Fit-Pack' !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve, I have seen this method many times. All you do is flatten the tip and you are ready to go. If you have a friend who is diabetic heaven forbid or in animal husbandry ask them. They weill be getting them buy thye pack.

David B

Thanks, Keith.

Good to have you back and watching over me. Incidentally, I have discovered another method of tree-nailing which I am considering. Yet another MSW builder used a cut-off hypodermic needle to simply score the tree-nails. Perhaps the syringe was even filled with stain which was then pushed into this scoring (can't recall).

Gotta say that I really like how yours show up on the interior of your Launch ... however, as my Launch shall now be painted inside, this hypodermic method will be worth trying out on some test-planks. 

(Not looking forward to asking my local pharmacy for a "Fit-Pack' !!)

Steve, Can you please post pictures of this proccess when you try it? It sounds like a simple way to get the effect without too much work. I just purchased a couple of syringes with blunt nose needles off ebay for controlled gluing. You might have a look there if shipping is not to expensive for you.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Despite a long absence, it can be reported that CaptainSteve hath not shirked hardship and misfortune. Nor hath he been vanquished by that most persistent of his foes, Stoopidity.

Indeedeth, he hath rallied this past fortnight; and he hath thrown himself, time and again, into the planking melee. One by one, they didst fall to his unceasing onslaught. Until, finally, but two didst remain – the Shutter Planks.

“They be over-sized,” didst Bob the Builder write. “You shalt cutteth them to fit.”
“Hah!!” our hero snorted, in reply.

“Surely, you jest !! They be too small, and the gap doest be humungous !!

Indeeth Bob, I doest herewith removeth thee from my Christmas Card list!!”

For, verily, and to his dismay, CaptainSteve didst findeth that, for him at leasteth, a large gap was to remain. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth didst ensue.

post-675-0-84671100-1397288621_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-07518600-1397288635_thumb.jpg

Thusly, our hero didst embarketh forth to maketh his very own Shutter Planks – one Port and one Starboard.
“Methinks that stealers shalt also be required,” he didst declare.

post-675-0-10505600-1397288654_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-02094900-1397288668_thumb.jpg

Indeedeth, our Hero didst need to trieth many a time ‘ere satisfaction were to be attained. Verily, at one point, the four planks from the gap to the Sheer didst popeth out from the Rabbet !!

(And, Oh My, didst much wailing and gnashing of teeth and uttering of Ye Olde sailing language ensue on THAT day !!!)

But, finally, he didst meeteth with success.

post-675-0-11233700-1397288679_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-97211000-1397288691_thumb.jpg

But he didst not rest upon his laurels. Casting his one good eye over the planking, CaptainSteve realized that something was missing.

“But something be missing," sayeth he. "'Tis good, but a final touch be required."

Thusly, didst he turneth his attentions unto the transom, whereupon he didst cuteth planks to fit, distressing each in turn. Then, to capeth things off, a Docker Plank was madeth.

post-675-0-28582900-1397288705_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-20236900-1397288719_thumb.jpg

Some trimming, a final touch-up of the painting, and with that, the planking was done!!

post-675-0-89323600-1397288792_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

With momentum at his back and not wishing to misseth but a step, CaptainSteve didst decideth to surge forward. Indeed, just the previous day, our hero had rounded up all of the left-over pieces from the Cherrywood tree. More water-boarding was to be their fate.

"They shalt become the Cant and 'Tween frames, as hast been foretold," he didst declare.

And thence:

"I shalt pop this puppy from yon Building Jig this very day !!" he announced.

But, firstly, he didst realize that, once having done so, and with much work ahead of him, a new dry-dock wouldst be required. And so he tooketh to the old lounge out back with his knife, doing much damage thereto, cutting deeply, and gouging out a suitable dock. 

post-675-0-20772400-1397289436_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-42524400-1397289474_thumb.jpg

And thusly, he didst grabeth his razor-saw and his knife and began at once to cuteth away at the frames where they hadst been spot-glued just aboveth the sheer alignment tabs.

But, lo, 'twas not to be !!!

For, just as our Hero was gleefully hacking away at the Frames, he didst notice that one - just one - hadst becometh detached from the planking.

Thusly, a quick bit of surgery with glue and clamps and rubber bands didst ensue, in order to reattach this errant Frame.

post-675-0-72344900-1397290500_thumb.jpg

And whilst this brief delay mighteth slow things minorly, it shouldst be mentioned that, as the last of the remaining Frames were cut adrift, MOVEMENT couldst be felt throughout. Indeed, 'twouldst seemeth most likely that this Launch shalt separate most cleanly from the Jig ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

For the Horde, some notes:

(i) In picture Launch39, above, it does appear that my planking is lop-sided. It ain't. I have measured both sides. Despite the way this picture looks, there is precisely 28mm from the Sheer plank to the top of both Transom Horses. I think this picture looks this way because I did not attach my Transom Horses equidistant from the centreline. This does not affect the build in any way.

(ii) I bit the bullet today, visited my local pharmacy, and purchased a Fit-Pack. Alde, once I get around to testing this method of creating tree-nails, then I'll post the results.

(iii) To the fair Maiden, Bindy, sorry to see that Carlton lost ... again. Maybe they could take up FoosBall. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arrr ...

CaptainSteve hast only these past five minutes ago popped the Launch from yon Build Jig. She didst cometh free with no problems whatsoever. The wax from the Purple scented candle hast done its' job to perfection.

Whatsomore, a comparison with the top-down view on Sheet 3 showeth this Launch hast not fattened in any way, and doth conformeth perfectly to the plan.

So here be a couple of pics:

post-675-0-31204000-1397302580_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-56642400-1397302588_thumb.jpg

Plenty of work still awaiteth our hero. There be glue spots to be dissolved and removeth with Isopropyl and thence the frames shalt be added.

THEN, the real work shalt commenceth !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Good work. Are you going to detail the inside with bolts, rivets etc.  Or just paint it?

David B

DG,
At this point, my thought is to just paint the interior. I am planning on having tree-nails, or at least a tree-nailed effect if the syringe method works for me, but this would be for the exterior.
Having said that, I really liked the look of the tree-nailing which Amfibius/Keith did, in particular on his floor-boards and quarterdeck.

Perhaps I will go with these, and maybe not have any tree-nailing on the internal frames, since these will be painted the same blue/grey colour which Meredith used.

Of course, this will depend entirely on how successful my attempts are with the syringe method. And, also, as I have demonstrated many, many times already, I tend to change my mind regularly.

I guess you'll just have to keep following along to see how this thing eventually turns out .... as will I !!  

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Congratulations on popping that sucker off the building jig. It looks great. I wasn't sure I would like the distressed wood look but I do very much. You will find that the interior work is much less stressful than the planking. I have not had much time to work on mine but hope to get a couple of hours on it this weekend.

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

Hi Steve,

Your launch is looking fantastic!

Whats a Fit-Pack? I am guessing it contains the syringes you were after? Did you get grief buying syringes.  I vaguely remember wanting syringes a while ago to try something (Some of the Russian builders were using them, which I forget now) and ended up not bothering as expected a heap of hassle from the chemist.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

And there was much cheering and jubilation!

Congrats on your successful popping!  She really does look greateth?  Hey!  I tried!

(and thank you for your commiserations but if Foosball involves kicking or marking then I doubt they would do any better hahaha)

And

A super big thank you for the explanation and clear photos explaining your distressing of the wood.  Now that I fully understand it makes me appreciate even more what you have done so far with your Bounty Launch.  Now I will go back to the couch and complain about Football a bit more ..

Edited by Bindy

Hi Steve,

Your launch is looking fantastic!

Whats a Fit-Pack? I am guessing it contains the syringes you were after? Did you get grief buying syringes.  I vaguely remember wanting syringes a while ago to try something (Some of the Russian builders were using them, which I forget now) and ended up not bothering as expected a heap of hassle from the chemist.

Cheers

Slog

Thanks, Slog !!

Clearly you've never been a junkie. And, for that matter, nor have I.

Yep. That's exactly what a Fit-Pack is. A plain-paper bag containing five syringes with hypodermic needles and (as I was to discover) five plastic containers for safely disposing of the needles after usage - assuming they're used for their intended purpose.

As it turns out, I got absolutely no grief from the pharmacy staff at all. They might ask you if you want the ones with water ... just look somewhat confused and say that you don't. 

Cost was $9:50.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

CaptainSteve, the launch is looking awesome!!! It's got a great shape and the planking looks very clean and precise.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

And there was much cheering and jubilation!

Congrats on your successful popping!  She really does look greateth?  Hey!  I tried!

Thanks, Bindy. And, Yea, for verily thou didst tryeth !!

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

(and thank you for your commiserations but if Foosball involves kicking or marking then I doubt they would do any better hahaha)

This might help explain FoosBall ...

post-675-0-09471600-1397391456.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Verily doest CaptainSteve enter upon a holiday weekend with both much aheadeth of him, but also much that be behindeth him.

Indeedeth, o'er the course of this very week, our Hero hath madeth much progress. For he 'twould discovereth that, despite much nay-saying that not enough of the cherrywood wouldst be available unto him to completeth the frames, he wouldst findeth that he didst indeed possesseth enough pieces to do battle against the Cants and 'Tweens.

post-675-0-83851300-1397744635_thumb.jpg

Thusly, didst he plougheth forth, his intentions being to vanquish these long-distant relatives of the Frames and puteth them behindeth him.

post-675-0-60161900-1397744753_thumb.jpg

Having thusly achievethed much success in these endeavours, CaptainSteve didst again turnest his thoughts unto matters of colouration.

"As proposedeth earlier, I shalt be applying colouration unto the interior of this Launch, muchly in the manner of the One known as Meredith," he didst proclaimeth.

And, thusly, he didst.

post-675-0-99920600-1397744958_thumb.jpg

"'Tis with regret, my friends, that I dost possetheth not further pictures," he didst addeth. "But I canst assureth thee with much certainment that this very day, not only hast I affixethed the sheer clamps - stained in Old Baltic - but, at this very moment - the Thwart risers doest lie dry-fitted in readyness for their upcoming placement."

Whatsomore, CaptainSteve wouldst be willing to proclaim that he shalt indeedeth still possesseth enough pieces from the cherrywood tree to do battle against the supports for the Quarterdeck.

"It shalt be a close thing ... but it canst be done," he didst sayeth in closing.

EDIT: The only reason I did not create Keith's additional cant frame was because I ran out of the cherrywood. That and the sapelli strips were ever so slightly thinner. I would recommend in favour of adding the additional frame.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)