Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Mahuna

  • Birthday March 14

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Sun Lakes, AZ
  • Interests
    Cycling, Bird Carving

Recent Profile Visitors

1,143 profile views
  1. Hi Elia: I totally agree. I ordered this supplement after you told me about it during your recent visit, and it's everything you said. Now I'm confident I'll be able to make the sails for Kathryn when I reach that point (in the distant future).
  2. R.I.P. Captain Bob

    I had the pleasure of visiting Bob several times over the last few years. Bob was a kind and good man, and will be missed. May he rest in peace.
  3. The photography in the book "Working Skipjacks of Deal Island" is all black and white. This photo of Kathryn during the recent rebuild shows the color of the paneling inside the cabin, and also shows the frames and ceiling planks left natural. When I visited the Kathryn after the rebuild the interior planking that I was able to see was all natural, and I think I remember the cabin deck and settees being grey. The exterior colors I'm using are Liquitex acrylics. The white is Titanium White and the bottom color is Burnt Sienna. The black stripe is Mars Black. These paints will develop a shine after a few coats, so I mix Liquitex Matte Medium into the paint to prevent too much sheen.
  4. I've tried a couple of times to send a PM to a particular member, but it doesn't show in my messages. As a test I sent a PM to another member and it does show. Is this because the recipient has a full mailbox? There's no indication of this as there used to be in the old software.
  5. I bought my mill and lathe as used equipment on Craigslist. I live close enough to the Sherline factory that I've brought the machines to them for inspection and for them to make some adjustments. They provide great customer service. If you wind up buying a used machine and need some work you're not prepared to do yourself Sherline will always help you if you send the machine to them.
  6. I will always vote for Sherline. They have several models, and I like the 5400 with the 12" base and resettable hand wheels. No matter what mill you go for, you should be aware that you'll spend as much (or more) on accessories.
  7. I agree - a great book. When I have a friend who is a little interested in ship modeling I lend them this book. It certainly hooked me!
  8. Adjustable height table.

    Hi Ulises I have one of the Ikea 'sit/stand' tables and really like it. I like being able to adjust the table height based on what I'm working on. Here's a link to the product on the Ikea web site: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49084965/
  9. Best Rope Walk

    Hi Dave I have the Prosak model. I've tried a couple of versions of the horizontal rope walks, but I find the Prosak to be really easy to use and very flexible. It can do left or right hand lay and can do 4-strand as well as 3. The length of rope is determined by how high you can mount the Prosak off the floor. I generally make 4 to 6 foot strands, which is long enough for anything I need.
  10. I agree - TurboCad for Mac is excellent. I use the Designer version, which is 2D only and very affordable.
  11. I have both the mill and the milling column for the lathe. The milling column works really well, but the x-axis is limited to the travel of the lathe's cross-slide. It would be a good way to start milling, and I've found having both to be a great advantage when I have repetitive milling activities that would require frequent changing of tooling.
  12. Happy Birthday!!!

    1. Mahuna


      Thanks Mark!

  13. And if you're going to show a skipjack set up for dredging, then the sails should not be fully deployed. Hadn't known that until I got the book. I also enjoyed the photos of the yawl boat at work.
  14. On my current build I needed to mill a slot on a curved piece. I saw this idea in a build log a while back - I made a table for the mill with a small a peg in it. By keeping the workpiece pressed against the peg and moving the workpiece towards the cutter I was able to mill the slots I needed. It's best to make a series of light cuts, rather than trying to mill off everything in one pass.
  15. I just received a copy of “Working Skipjacks of Deal Island” by Brice N. Stump. The author was a long-term staff member at The Daily Times in Salisbury, MD., and has won numerous awards for his writing and photography. This 350 page book is loaded with over 625 black and white photographs, each with a detailed caption. Most of the photos show the Chesapeake watermen at work, and give you an appreciation of how hard they work in the oystering trade. The book contains a good deal of historic information, anecdotes, and explanations of the work involved. I’m particularly interested in the Skipjack Kathryn, and was pleased with the number and quality of the photos of Kathryn. There are over 70 pages dedicated to Kathryn, and each page has a minimum of two photos and related captions. Some of the photos show the recent rebuilding of Kathryn, while the majority show the vessel and crew at work. There are some really interesting photos of the pushboat in use to maneuver Kathryn. Other skipjacks shown in the book include the City of Crisfield, Somerset, Fannie L. Dougherty, Helen Virginia, Ladie Katie, Curlew III, and Ada Fears. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Skipjacks or the oystermen of the Chesapeake. Priced at $56, it’s a limited press run and available at MyShoreHistory.com