HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

Excellent craftsmanship Boyd! I agree with Nils on the broken wall view, great idea! Now you do realize that we'd like a virtual tour when it's done? Your time spent on planing was well worth it. Well done sir, well done indeed!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

You have been busy, Boyd !! Keep it up.

I'm really liking your work on the internals ... and may even have to pinch a couple of your ideas.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the compliments….particularly coming from another detail fanatic :)   

One of the best aspects of this forum is learning and finding creative ideas that one can utilize on their project.  You and many others have given me motivation to raise the bar wherever I can :)    

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Superb work on the furniture! How did you make it? 

Thanks Keith, I really appreciate the compliment….and I probably should take more pictures of the construction of the detail items.  I get on a roll and the next thing I know it’s finished.

As far as the pieces you see; the table, shelfs, maps, balusters/railing, etc….I spent quite a bit of time fabricating.  All the wood items were hand made with X-acto blades and a myriad of files and sanding tools. 

The Captains Dining Cabin took 40-50 hours to complete….it was definitely a labor of love that slowly evolved from simple to more complex

The chairs are plastic miniatures (1:48 scale) that I spent some time painting and finishing to simulate a wood look.  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Excellent craftsmanship Boyd! I agree with Nils on the broken wall view, great idea! Now you do realize that we'd like a virtual tour when it's done? Your time spent on planing was well worth it. Well done sir, well done indeed!

All I can say is coming from one of best detailers I’ve seen your accolades are much appreciated :)   

Yes, planning or thinking through a design is part of the fun for me….and almost everything I start never ends up the way I originally planned it…it just grows and evolves into the final result.  

Boyd 

Unbelievably beautiful detail work Boyd. This sets the bar mighty high for all us builders. That little

lathe of yours got some duty. But the planning and craftsmanship are truly brilliant.

Hi Al,

I really appreciate the compliments… this type of detail work is right up my alley coming from a Railroad background  :) 

I’m following your lead….as I still have the planking and rigging bridges to cross.

I noticed the very excellent advise you gave LA Don on his up-coming planking challenge....well done my friend  :)  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Wow!!!!.......... Simply stunning Boyd. What great work you've done.

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Hi Rowand,

Thanks much for the kind words....and I'm enjoying your build as well (very helpful) :)  

I'm going to upgrade my rudder assembly as well, and also use your technique for bending the very stubborn walnut planks :)

Boyd 

Your ship is great fun to explore. My hat's off to you for such fine detailing. I tried to make a small table for L'Hermione that turned out too laughable to ever show. Your detailing, even to the rolled and wall charts, is very clean and believable. Great workmanship!

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

Your ship is great fun to explore. My hat's off to you for such fine detailing. I tried to make a small table for L'Hermione that turned out too laughable to ever show. Your detailing, even to the rolled and wall charts, is very clean and believable. Great workmanship!

Bob,

Thanks much for the kind words, I really appreciate it....and I'm keeping an eye on your fine build as well  :)

Boyd 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Harry,

Thanks for stopping in...and the kind words  :)

Every once in a while you need to shift gears and clear your head on the current build so Cutty Sark research is one of the things I do on the side....I swear I won't start her until the Bounty is done :D  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you Chap,

What method did you use for your Caulking and Tree Nails on your decks? Looks good!!

In the past, I have coated my Decking strips with Sanding Sealer, when dry I run a Black Marker down one edge.

I also drill the ends of the Deck planks and inserted Bristles from a Hearth Brush, Tedious.

Once sanded smooth it looks o.k. though.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Question for you Chap,

What method did you use for your Caulking and Tree Nails on your decks? Looks good!!

In the past, I have coated my Decking strips with Sanding Sealer, when dry I run a Black Marker down one edge.

I also drill the ends of the Deck planks and inserted Bristles from a Hearth Brush, Tedious.

Once sanded smooth it looks o.k. though.

Cheers....HOF.

Hi Harry,

Regarding caulking and tree nails: I’ve used two similar methods on the lower and middle decks. If you backtrack on my log (pages and pics listed below) you’ll see the subtle differences between the methods used on both decks.

In both cases for the caulking I spray painted the top of the false decks black and then spaced the planks with a .5mm gap as I glued them down (viola – simple and easy caulking).  Also, both decks were given two coats of clear matte water based poly finish.

Lower deck, see post # 9 on page one of this build log which describes in detail the steps I used.  Then look at pics, 1 (all the tools I used), and pics 3 and 4 (showing the results).

Note; I wasn’t happy with the nail holes as the sharpie tends to blead into the wood.  As such, I changed the process slightly with the middle deck nail holes and IMO it came out much cleaner.

Middle deck, see post 66 on page 4 of this build log which describes the change I made, basically replacing the sharpie with a Pentel P205 mechanical pencil using .5mm fine 6H led.  It came out much cleaner IMO (see pic 2)

However, with that said, I’m going to take a completely different route on the main deck.  Keeping in mind this is my first build so I’m evolving/testing different methods along the way (subtle differences that only builders like us will notice).

Main Deck, First off I will use a number 2B pencil to coat the sides of the planks and then glue them closely snugged together on the deck (much more subtle caulking look – the technique was used, and can be seen, in all the pictures of the middle deck cabin walls I installed (page 5 of this build log).

Next I will adapt a hybrid of master craftsman Chuck Passaro’s method for simulating tree nails.

In a nut shell, holes are drilled in the planks with a #72 drill, lightly sanded (320 grit), cleaned with the sharp point of an awl (gently just to rid the fuzziness) and then filled with a wood colored filler (I’ll use Elmer’s wood filler with a touch of wood stain).  Then I’ll finish with sanding and two layers of clear matte poly finish.

FYI - If you haven’t found Chuck’s current build log in the “scratch build” area I would highly recommend that you read it post for post.  It was an eye opener for me (he sets his bar at a level few builders ever reach) and would be well worth the effort to follow his absolutely magnificent build  :)

Link to Chuck's build http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/99-hms-winchelsea-by-chuck-1764-english-32-gun-frigate-pob-164/page-1

On another subject, I’m still wrestling with choosing a Cutty Sark kit…thanks for all your help and correspondence  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Thanks Boyd,

Interesting methods we use to approach things.

Yup, I had the problem of the Felt Marker, (Sharpie), bleeding into the wood also, why I reverted to Sanding Sealer first.

The description of Chucks method of Tree Nails sounds like its worth a go and I'll be having a look at Chucks Build too.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Boyd

I just dropped, and I`ll stay to watch

Very clean and precise work, and I like it

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Boyd

I just dropped, and I`ll stay to watch

Very clean and precise work, and I like it

Nenad

Welcome aboard Nenad.

Thanks for the kind words....and it's my pleasure to have you following the build  :)

Boyd 

Middle Deck Assembly - continued

I completed a few more additions/modifications in the Bow:

Hammocks:  Prompted by something I picked up from the “Anatomy” book.  Apparently the Bounty had major problems with leaking decks that flooded some of the sleeping areas.

Between the leaking decks and a general lack of adequate sleeping quarters several Hammocks were installed in various locations on the Bounty.

So, I went ahead and took a stab at designing and installing some hammocks in the bow area.  I saw this particular design in a picture posted by an MSW member (sorry I didn’t take note of the member name). Apparently this design was typical of a sick bay hammock or perhaps one given to a higher ranking crew member. However, my guess is this style of hammock probably wasn't used on the Bounty... but I think it looks good and will add a nice touch to the display.

Hammock Construction:

I developed a pattern on paper that could be transferred to a sheet of sail materiel.  

Then I cut out all the wood frame pieces to support the hammocks.

I then sprayed one side of a large piece of sail/hammock material and then laid the adhesive side down on top of a piece of wax paper for ease of cutting.  Once I cut out all the patterns I then peeled the pattern off the wax paper and attached the wood parts to the adhesive side of the material.

I then added the rope supports and carefully applied some CA to hold everything together.

I built the simple hammock frame structure out of 5mm x 5mm walnut material and drilled holes in the top for the hooks that hold all four hammocks.  I also attached roll down privacy curtains for each hammock.

Note; the hammock assembly is not glued in at this point.  Once I lay the main deck and plank the hull I’ll permanently install the hammocks along with many other detail items on the lower decks.

Railing System: I went ahead and fitted the previously constructed Railing System, and will glue it up prior to installing the main deck (see page 4 for additional information on the construction). 

Pictures of the hammock construction:

post-17392-0-61474100-1440448821_thumb.jpg

Royal Navy HMS Victory Hammocks.  I really liked this design I found here on MSW...so I decided to build my own version.

post-17392-0-47254500-1440450893_thumb.jpg

Here is the pattern I developed with paper... and then transferred it to some sail material I had on hand. Note the frame pieces that add support.

post-17392-0-27653400-1440448997_thumb.jpg

Picture of the finished hammocks. Held together with adhesive spray and CA glue.

post-17392-0-24083600-1440449026_thumb.jpg

The simple frame I built to hold the hammocks.  The finished assemble will be permanently installed after I finish planking the hull.

Completed hammock assemble temporarily installed...along with the Bow railing system.

post-17392-0-87866600-1440449212_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-27960300-1440449229_thumb.jpg

The open section cut in the right side railing accommodates a support beam that drops from the main deck. The handrails between decks still need to be added.

post-17392-0-47165200-1440449244_thumb.jpg

Note the roll down privacy curtains I added for each Hammock.

post-17392-0-00777200-1440449257_thumb.jpg

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Nice job on the hammocks Boyd! I see your bash fever is flaring up again, and it shows in your creativity. Well done sir, well done!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Fantastic detailing, Boyd !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Matt and Steve,

Thanks guys, your complements mean a lot to me...coming from two of the best it's the kind of motivation that keeps me going  :)

I'm very close to completing the middle deck now, then I can get to some fun stuff like planking the main deck and the hull  :D

Boyd 

Boyd,

It's such great fun to see your updates. Your creativity and workmanship continue to amaze.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

G'day Boyd

I have spent a few enjoyable hours reading and digesting your log.

All I can say to you it's bloody marvellous.

I'll be keeping an eager eye open for your next and all the other entries. Keepthemcomingmate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate the kind words and your continued encouragement :)

Hi Greg,

Welcome aboard and it's always nice to hear from someone that took the time to read my log....and I'll continue to give it my best effort mate :)

Really like your Papillon Avatar, we've had the pleasure of loving two of them over the years :)    

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

Just gone through your build. Really nice work.  I like the way you go in detail.  I will follow your log. In my two builds, Juan Sebastian Elcano and Bluenose II I didn't do much changes and additions from those supplied with the  kit, except for a few minor things.  On my next build I will keep a sharper eye to see where I can improve the build.  Keep it up.

Robert