Working with Hull Planks on Model Space HMS Victory Kit

CDW

I am currently building the HMS Victory kit offered by Model Space (DeAgostini). I am finding that many of the wood planks provided in the kit have a strong tendency to splinter when bending them after soaking in water, then using a heat tool designed for plank bending.

I am wondering if this is a common problem with inferior wood planks, or is it something I am doing wrong? I tend to think it has something to do with poor planks, as it doesn't happen all the time, but with certain planks.

Are there planks available that have more consistent quality, or is this something where the modeler must evaluate each piece and replace as necessary. It has gotten to the point that I can reasonably predict which planks are going to give me problems, just by looking at the grain before starting the bending process. But I guess I  am one of those guys who are reluctant to throw out questionable quality planks. Perhaps this has to do with my lack of experience and failure to trust my own judgment.

What would be considered a good replacement candidate for the kit planks? I am not 100% certain what type of wood the planks provided in the kit are cut from.

Thanks

Craig

The wood used in this kit is good quality wood that unfortunately resists being bent no matter how much you soak them. I used a pair of crimping pliers to get bends out of some of those stubborn planks. I would first soak them in boiling hot water with a little dish washing soap like Dawn with a little ammonia added to the water. I would let the planks soak over night and then while they were still wet, I would use the plank bending pliers, which helped get the proper bend and even a twisting bend is possible doing it this way. I would then apply the plank while it's still damp on the hull with super glue and nails. Then the plank can finish drying on the model. But make sure you lay a plank on each side of the model or hull as you go along as to not introduce a bow or twist in the hull once the plank dries.

mike   

Thanks, Mike. I am going to try the ammonia and dishwashing soap w/boiling water. It's worth a try.

Some of the planks are super-hard, some are medium and lend themselves well to bending. Others have a loose grain that wants to splinter and break apart very easily. The planks provided are just of inconsistent grade (if that's the correct term). The hard stuff, I've been using as the straight planks, which works out fine. It's the medium ones that are more sparsely provided, but make the best candidates for bending.

Craig 

I don't know all the scientific reasoning behind this, but have noticed that some woods will split when bent one way, but will not split if bent the reverse way.

My guess is that it is a function of the run of the grain AND species of wood.  I try bending dry first then detect those that do not show signs of splitting dry.  Then they won't split (usually) when steamed.  I try and pay attention to the grain direction when visible. This is sometimes a problem because I also try and select woods that have no visible grain.  Pear, boxwood, etc.  Occasionally though I will use kit supplied woods for first planking then the grain is visible.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Do wood supplied is ok. Nothing extra. Just soak it in hot water for 10-15 mins then bend it and nail it to the model. Leave till next day and only then glue... Also, when sorting the bunch of planks, keep the soft ones for them sharp bends around the bow and the back...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I just started to do decking. According to the instructions, you only need light sanding after the decking is done. Well in my case its impossible to find two planks that would have same dimensions. Thickness ranges between 1.31-1.67mm and width between 4.82-5.14mm so far. Width does not bother me, but the thickness gives me headaches. I dont have thicknesser to hand and the supply of planks is rather limited.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

post-2805-0-16753900-1467201475_thumb.jpgpost-2805-0-64781300-1467201498_thumb.jpgpost-2805-0-55921200-1467201513_thumb.jpgCraig,

I soak the wood in a PVC tube capped at one end for between 1 hr and 6 hours depending on the woods hardness. I use 4 different cans in graduated sizes from a small tomato paste can up, cut cheap hurricane candles to size (gets hot sometimes I touch it twice to make sure I got burned the first time) :o

SEE PICS CAN ALSO BEND LATERALLY.  Its always worked well bends quick, the only time wood has splintered is when I got in a hurry.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Very nice solution John, thanks for sharing. I'll keep this technique handy.

Ian

What a clever idea using the can with a candle inside. Also, the PVC with caps for soaking the planks. These are suggestions I will be sure to use in the future and I appreciate very much your sharing these things, John.

I have been in a model building funk for the past months and have gotten almost nothing done. In due time, will find a way to become inspired to get back to it. Hopefully, soon.

Regards

Craig

PS: Florida is my natural born home, but Alabama would be my next choice if I had one. :)   

Edited by daddyrabbit1954

Roll Tide,

The funk is natural I laid off a build for 5 months had the time but every now and then you need to recharge also prevents you fro being careless when you really don't want to be there at the time. My daughter bought a Mamoli Victory on ebay (finally in the rigging stage) all the decks were warped probably due to heat maybe from an attic, instead of using them as a blueprint and cutting new decks (I even had the material) I soaked and soaked used heavy weights to flatten thought it would be okay. They caused a problem through out the build process had to deviate from plans to hide some glaring errors. I can see the problem they caused probably the master scratch builders on this site can spot them right away.

That said it will turn out okay. I should have walked away and left it then cut new decks at a later date.

Sorry for the convoluted response hang in there you'll do good things may your would be bent, lay in place, and and splinters be a bad Memory. :cheers:

John

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Very sorry for your loss. J

John Allen

On deck

Finished

I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well and hope your heart is mending. One thing I have found when a travesty like this hits my family is to bury myself into my hobby work shop for hours and even days at a time until I come to terms with the event. I tend to day dream when working on my models and drift back in time to parts of my life or people in my life that I like to remember fondly. It might take me an hour to lay one plank or thread one deadeye when I drift off on my travels back in time. But we each have our own way of dealing with grief or that unexpected tragic event. I hope you find yours and work through it.

mike       

Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of things I built, I gave to this brother down through the years, including some real nice wood ship models. My sister-in-law asked me if I wanted them back but I asked her to give them to her grandchildren who have always admired the models. They were tickled pink to get them.

I am going to be just fine. It's one of those things in life we all have or eventually will go through. At this point, two brothers and one sister have passed, but wow, we had great times together. Never argued and fought with each other. Always a closeness that is invaluable and treasured memories.

Here is my brother and I, a couple of months before he passed.

AdTgAJJ.jpg

Edited by daddyrabbit1954

• 3 years later...