King of the Mississippi by drobinson02199 - FINISHED -- Artesania Latina - 1:80

Totally love the Herring Bone second deck Dave! Looks really great. I have seen this model up close and personal at a local show and its one thing that really stands out on her. Yours is a great credit to yourself. What type of wood and finish are you using here?

Chris

Chris:

For the deck planking, I'm just using the kit basswood, finished with at least two coats of clear satin poly.  When I get inspired, I sometimes do a third coat.

I think the wood that's going to make this model look really good is the Sapelli, which is liberally used on the model.  It varnishes to a deep reddish brown that is very rich looking.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

She is looking beautiful. Top effort in the herringbone decking. Shame that the next level will hide alot if it. Good work 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Stateroom level done now.  What you see isn't glued down yet, but even when it is, there will be more gaps where the sides meet the deck than I'd like.  Fortunately, all of that will be pretty much hidden by the railing..

The instructions say to mount the compartment and then install doors and windows, but I did the doors and windows before mounting, and I think it would be lots more trouble to do it the other way.

The grating shown isn't varnished yet (I'll do it when I break out the varnish again), but I didn't paint it.  I have that same grating in another AL boat (Sanson Tug) and it varnishes to a nice brown.

Regards,

David

Stateroom Compartment.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Scott:

Yes -- now that I've mounted it I can see that most of the herringbone I worked so hard on will be hidden.  I think the next deck is also herringbone, and more of that will show.

Reminds me of the Revenge.  There are multiple decks inside the hull that I planked -- never to see the light of day.  :default_wallbash:

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

So I took Chris's (Vossy) suggestion and added a skirting board or base molding around the stateroom structure, using some walnut I had left over from previous kits.  Looks really nice now.   

Thanks, Chris!   :D

Regards,

David

Skirting Board.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Paddle wheel now done and mounted on the boat.

Regards,

David

Paddle Wheel.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've been trying to keep silent so as people don't get us mixed up again :), but I can't do it any longer. She looks great, nice work

Chris:

It's Krylon Fusion spray -- Satin Burgundy.  I originally got it to paint the large plastic hull of the Mt. Washington, and this was the only non-gloss red that Fusion had (wanted Fusion for plastic bonding).  But I really liked the color -- a maroon red and more subtle than regular red.  It adheres to anything -- these wheels are metal.  

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I have now finished the circular stairways, and I learned a lot.  

I did the first one on the left all the way through, to see what I'd learn before tackling the second, and I learned a lot.

• The manual says to space the stairs 2mm apart -- and aside from the ambiguity of that instruction, it leads to treads that are too short.  See the top tread on the left.  So I started just eyeballing the tread spacing, leaving as little as possible while still providing support.  The right hand straight portion is about 3mm longer than the left one, and looks better.
  • I didn't soak the left hand curved railing long enough, and it broke and I lost the short piece down the drain.  So I had to make railings for that as you can see on the left, second picture.  They won't show much as they are on the inside.  On the second one, I soaked it, then ran under hot water while bending, and then put the bent piece inside a toilet paper tube overnight.
  • I didn't soak and bend the curved railing before painting on the first one (left), and you can see the break where it slants down.  On the right, I soaked and bent before painting and it has a nice continuity where it bends down.

I was initially disappointed that the curved railing was plywood vs. something nicer, but I used a paint color called nutmeg brown, and when it's varnished it actually has a real wood look, so that came out OK.

Need to be careful to watch the orientation of the spirals on both stairs and railings.  They go in different directions, and I almost muffed that.

I'll send another picture later when these fully dry and I've mounted them on the boat.

Regards,

David

Stairs 1.jpg

Stairs 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Don,

Like the stained hull for a change over painting it white, very nice build keep on keeping:cheers: on

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

And the curved stairs now mounted on the boat.

Stairs Mounted 1.jpg

Stairs Mounted 2.jpg

Stairs Mounted 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

First deck posts and railings done.  AL uses a lot of Sapelli in this kit, and I really like the reddish cast -- makes the natural wood combination look much better.

Also take a look at the small second deck enclosure around the circular stairs.  Took some work to get the sideways bend in the Sapelli strip.

Best regards,

David

Deck_1_Railings.jpg

Upper Enclosure.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Looks really great Dave. My one question, and I have seen this model done a few times, is, does it look/seem odd how the staircases seem to finish at an odd angle and halfway up where they meet the first deck?

It doesn't seem quite right to me. As I said I have seen this vessel done a few times and all seem the same way, so I'm guessing that's what the plans call for? it just looks plain wrong to me. 

is there anyway with this kit that they could be made to sit flush with the deck?

Chris

Chris:

I fretted over that when I dry-fitted the staircases.  They are just one step height short of ending flush under the second deck.  I considered elevating them with a sort of platform on deck 1, but then looking at the finished model, it seemed to me that the part where the staircases meet the first deck will be more visible than the part where they meet the second deck.  I may be wrong about that -- but I opted to have that first deck join look normal.

The angle is OK -- on one of mine, the way the stair rail twisted around left it angled in just a bit.  I think if they were elevated to come up to the second deck, the angle might look OK.

I'm glad (sort of) to hear that it's not just me.  It would initially seem that it would be an easy fix for AL to just add one more straight step -- but . . . those are in one of the laser cut panels, and the railings would have to be lengthened, and they are laser cut as well.  So not an easy fix for AL.

The plans and the instruction booklet pictures show the stairs coming up so that the top step fits flush under the second deck, effectively making the second deck the last step going up.  The rails line up with the second deck railing.  That won't happen on mine.

What might cause it is the bowing of the second deck when attached to the engine and boiler rooms.  I assumed that was what was intended and so glued it down with a fore-to-aft slight curve.  That could cause the bow section of deck #2 to lift up just enough to cause the issue.  That is probably not intended, but it's likely what caused me to have to add the skirting board you suggested. 

The next modeler to tackle this kit could instead glue on deck #2 without pushing the center down, and then dress the gaps in the join with the engine and boiler rooms with a molding.  Or, sand down the fore and aft sections of the first deck structures to remove the bowing of the second deck.  Either of those would seem to be the fix for this as I think about it.  But you'd need to know that in advance, as the picture on the box suggests a slight curve.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hey Dave, yeah just doesn't look right to me. at some point I will get this kit and try to work out a solution whereby the staircase meets the fist deck flush.

You could always try to camouflage it a bit on the finished build if you are unhappy with it. maybe a well placed banner of some string of lights etc?

Chris

People knock AL kits, but this is working into a really nice model.  Love the herringbone decking, really nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Chris:

I had another idea about how to get the curved stairs to come up to the second deck.  When you assemble the stairs, you glue one tread above the other, and when it's done right in terms of length, there is very little common surface area between the two treads.  It occurs to me that this might cause a very slight "droop" in the angle of the treads relative to each other, and therefore shorten the rise.  The fix (and it would be very doable with this kit as is) is to sight each tread assembly while gluing and make sure that the treads are at least precisely level relative to each other, and perhaps slightly (very slightly) canted up.  I can't tell now with the stairs mounted if mine had any "droop", but I suspect so -- but it would be so minor that you wouldn't see it unless you are looking for it.  Over the 13 treads, that could result in the one tread height drop that I got.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I intend to do away with the circular staircases and go with two straight ones.  Have already purchased some HO sized wood stairs.

Also intend to square off the opening through the second deck and possibly change the shape of the second level cabin.  Also change some of the railing

"fillers: from photoetch to wood or laserboard.

Will post photos if this ever actually gets constructed and doesn't look awful!

Chris:

Some more thinking about solutions to the circular stairs.  I took some measurements, and the treads are 3mm high.  There are 13 of them, so that's 39mm, and the distance from the lower deck to the bottom of the second deck is 42mm -- just one tread higher.  My staircase came out at 39mm on the nose, so my thought above about "drooping" may not hold.

It would take a lot of precision to impart a slight uptilt of 1/4 mm on each tread, which is what it would take to add that extra 3mm over 13 treads.  Another possible solution would be to cut a couple of extra straight treads out of the laser cut board they came in.  I had to cut both of my straight short railing sections down, so I think they would take the extra length.  I also had to cut one section off the curved railing -- so maybe it would take the extra tread as well.

Thanks,
David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the third deck and mounted it on the boat.  I oriented the herringbone so that it runs in the opposite direction on the outside bands from the deck below.  Thought that would be more interesting.  On the side view, you can also see the drive rods on the paddlewheel.

Regards,

David

Third_Deck_Side_View.jpg

Third_Deck_Top_View.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Whoops! something went amiss there! lol

was going to say, I really like the way you have reversed the deck patterns. looks great.

regarding the spiral staircase; is there anyway you can remove them at this stage? I reckon you might be able to build them up by adding a step or platform at the base of each case. if it is not a regular shape or angle, you could probably hide it somewhat with some well placed hay bails, buckets etc.

I reckon this wouldn't stand out as much as the angled entrance way to the first deck.

Chris

Chris:

The idea of building them up at the base was one I considered before I installed them.  Having built and installed them, I'd be reluctant to try to pry them out at this point for fear of really messing them up.  The joins between the treads are fairly fragile.  I think I'll just live with them as is.  I just looked at them again, and one thing I might do at the end is dress the bottom of the curved railings up to the bottom of the second deck with a piece of Sapelli, so that there is at least a smooth transition.  I'll need to do something similar at the railings.

The solution to this is to build it differently, carving out an extra straight tread and adding it to provide height as I noted above.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I have finished the third structure and fourth deck.  A few construction items:

• If you look at the first picture, you'll see that all of the lower decks are slightly curved toward the center from bow to stern.  This curve seems to be imparted by the top of each structure to the deck above it, even if the bottom of the next structure isn't correspondingly curved.  So I had to install a molding at the bottom of the second structure, as discussed earlier.  What you can see from this and the next picture is that the lower part of the third structure is dead straight, while the deck below it is curved, leaving a gap.  I saw this coming, and considered trying to adjust the lower part to be curved, but thought it might mess up those little windows with the brass nails, so instead I'll again follow the guidance from Chris (Vossy) and dress it with a molding -- but I'm going to shape the molding.
  • The manual says to drive in the nails and then file down the nail heads, but it's much easier to clip the heads off before putting them into the holes,

The top of the structure isn't varnished yet.  I want to shape and install the moldings and then I'll varnish the rest of this.

This structure is made to be removable, and this isn't a RC model.  Does anyone know why this would be?  At the end, I'm going to glue it on.

Regards,

David

Wide_Shot.jpg

The_Gap.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hi David.

You are making a stunning model from this kit.

Maye some people might like to add the tables chairs and other bits on the interior of the boat.

Yes I think Chris is right... put some trim around the skirting.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Added the skirting board, and gave it a curved shape to fill the gap.  Works well.  And the structure is still removable!

I forgot to mention that I gritted my teeth and used the acetate for windows on this structure, and it reminded me of how much I really dislike working with that stuff around glue.  In fact, the yellow "shutters" you can see on the curved window on the right are there to hide "glue mess".  I think I'll try to find some thin lucite to have around.

Regards,

David

Skirting_Board_Installed.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area